Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

Wilson should only leave if there is a team that can pay close to 20M for him.

Trippier should only leave if the club saw that it was impossible to pay him the salary he earns and that would fix almost all of Fair Play's financial problems.

Then, you have to get rid of all the absurd contracts of players like Ritchie, Targett, Krafth, Manquillo, Hayden, Fraser, Karius....

PS: It is impossible for Atlético to pay a single euro for Wilson. We never have money.

• Like 2

Manquillo is as good as gone, if we do get rid of Tripps then keeping Krafth til the summer gives us cover (he's out then anyway). Fraser seems to be doing ok down south so hopeful he gets a move from that, Hendrick, Karius and Ritchie all expire in the summer. Hayden is the only one who looks like it's looking difficult to shift given he's contracted until 2026! Targett is also 2026 but at least he's useful. 

Edited by Chaser

42 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Manquillo is as good as gone, if we do get rid of Tripps then keeping Krafth til the summer gives us cover (he's out then anyway). Fraser seems to be doing ok down south so hopeful he gets a move from that, Hendrick, Karius and Ritchie all expire in the summer. Hayden is the only one who looks like it's looking difficult to shift given he's contracted until 2026! Targett is also 2026 but at least he's useful. 

Targett hasn't been useful practically since we signed him permanently. Not his fault but he still hasn't made much of an impression even when he's been fit. 

• Like 2

I still have hope that Targett could be a useful squad player, especially if he is capable of playing 6 for some added versatility, which appears to have been the plan moving forward based on the few minutes he lasted against ManU.

Just now, toonotl said:

I still have hope that Targett could be a useful squad player, especially if he is capable of playing 6 for some added versatility, which appears to have been the plan moving forward based on the few minutes he lasted against ManU.

We live in hope. 👍 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I'm a bit perplexed why Eales is telling by anyone who will listen that we need to sell before we can buy, and then we get offers for 2 players and refuse to sell? I mean I don't particularly want either of them to move on, but I also don't want Miley and Longstaff to be our midfield for half a season, or for Almiron to have zero competition for his place 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

He didn't say we'd have to sell before we could buy, did he? I thought he just said we would have to trade players like other clubs do. 

We are playing semantics, but it's as good as what he said 

It's not though. We have to sell before we buy means we categorically cannot buy anyone until we bring some money in from player sales. 

He didn't say that so there's no reason to assume that it's true. 

You then said "if we need to sell before we buy, why are we turning down offers for players". But nobody every said we had to sell before we could buy.

So the specific language really is important and it isn't just semantics. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Yet another player that has been here for a ridiculously long time. Coming on 7 years ffs. The amount of players who should have been stopgaps who have hung around for years is unbelievable. Cheers, Ashley 

No consistency in fitness or performance from him on the pitch in the that time. Who knows, he may be fantastic with attitude etc off the pitch but as per your message much more likely to have had such a long tenure here due to Ashley taking the cheapest option available.

Ashley gave poor players good wages so they had no reason to leave and he didn’t have to buy anyone, we’re now struggling with getting them off the books due to this. Then when we do manage to get rid of some of these absolutely honking players all the NUFC Twitter lot praise them for being “superb servants” and praise them for being fouled against Leeds :lol:. Manquillo was on something like £30k a week, that’s not being loyal that’s simply staying where you’re fucking overpaid. 

On Eales I honestly think he’s just playing it smart, riling up other clubs and stirring the conversation - it even led to Emery making a similar statement about being limited by FFP. I think we have room to sign players this window I just don’t think they want to be forced into overpaying in a window that you often have to. They probably think we will be getting players back from injury soon and will be able to turn things around to a degree to close the season out where we then will have a profitable FFP year on our record going forward. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Re the wages. How does that work with FFP? 

Under FFP you can't make cumulative losses of over £105 million over a rolling 3 years period, wages are a cost = contributes to losses.

• Like 1