Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

20 minutes ago, strawb said:

Sound. Name someone

Marcus Thuram is a good shout tbf. Appears to be available, played most of this season as a center forward but can play off the left as well. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Feels like this ship has sailed to be honest, we weren't willing to meet them at 60 mil in the summer, then Man U spend 80 mil on that Antony guy.

Chelsea had to spend a 100 mil to get that Ukrainian fella after Shakthar kept pointing Arsenal to how much Anthony went for.

Probs going to cost 80 mil plus at least 

2 hours ago, strawb said:

Sound. Name someone

Think along the lines of J. Pedro,Thuram, Ramos, Sesko. The last 2 will probably be too expensive for us now and they've caught the eye of CL clubs but there's the niche we'll be targeting. We've already been linked with Moukoko of Dortmund as well. 

These are well known names. I dont watch a ton of European football and you obviously watch even less. Ashworth and the scouting team will know of talents that we haven't heard much of. The point was, there's a gap to be filled if Wood leaves. 

• Like 2

Deloitte has published its football money list and has us at 95% wages to turnover.

I suspect that’s the reason we are being careful in the market, rather than we don’t have/want any new targets

11 minutes ago, strawb said:

Deloitte has published its football money list and has us at 95% wages to turnover.

I suspect that’s the reason we are being careful in the market, rather than we don’t have/want any new targets

Aye, we have too many legacy wankers we need rid of. 

• Like 2

Wouldn’t surprise me if Howe thinks Joelinton is a better emergency option as third striker than Wood tbh. That Wednesday miss seems like it was the nail in the coffin. Howe simply does not fuck about :lol:  And then that frees up a slot for a central midfielder, even if it’s just on loan

• Like 3

1 minute ago, wykikitoon said:

We're going to probably have to pay some of Lewis wages considering the length of his contract! 

Hasn't Hayden just returned as well? Shortstaff? Plus Shelvey is sucking up wages and hoping to trigger an automatic extension. Why the fuck is Gillespie on the books still as well?

A smart thing to do would be to ship them all off to whatever Saudi league team they own and let them suck back their wages from their books.

The shit Ashley left stinking out the place.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

2025/26 will be a different world for us, deals will be made and zillion dollar sponsors announced by then. They must surely realise that they have a huge opportunity this season to speed up the growth of the club.

They just need to ensure we finish as high as possible, combined with some smart January buys and to ways to clean up/out the shite left by Ashley.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Hasn't Hayden just returned as well? Shortstaff? Plus Shelvey is sucking up wages and hoping to trigger an automatic extension. Why the fuck is Gillespie on the books still as well?

A smart thing to do would be to ship them all off to whatever Saudi league team they own and let them suck back their wages from their books.

The shit Ashley left stinking out the place.

I think he already has triggered it, hasn't he.

Also, I think that the 95% figure is not so much an issue with wages, as I doubt most of Ashley's dross were on huge wages, but an indictment on the failure to improve revenue. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trophyshy said:

Apparently the loan deal for Wood stipulates he must play against us.  

This is normal. :lol: Anyone remember the Shepherd regime dropping a bollock with Lua Lua so he scored a last minute equaliser against us while on loan at Portsmouth? 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

As said, it needs signing off by the EPL so that will stop the ridiculous type deals City have.  But will certainly have us on better footings.

I think PIF & by extension Newcastle United, have better lawyers than the EPL ;) 

• Like 3

It’s also worth remembering that this 95% figure is for the 21/22 season. So we were only paying wages for the likes of Trippier, Bruno et al. for half that season. Since then we’ve signed Pope, Isak and Botman so chances are that our wages are currently above 100% of revenue.

• Like 3

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season