Defensive Stalwart. The Big Dan.

ohhh_yeah

I don’t think he was great yesterday & it’s a testament to how well the team played that he couldn’t be targeted as a weakness. 

• Like 2

It’s not as simple as better player, must play ahead of worse player. That doesn’t take into account team shape, relationships between players on the pitch etc.

Need a left back long term though, it Howe doesn’t think Hall is up to it. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Much better game yesterday, against limited opposition, but I find it a little  weird that he remains Howe’s first choice left back ahead of Tino, who hasn’t put a foot wrong since he broke into the team 

I think he likes the supposed way Burn forms a three CB  unit allowing Trippier to stay forward. 

• Like 3

Just now, NJS said:

I think he likes the supposed way Burn forms a three CB  unit allowing Trippier to stay forward. 

yeah. If we to play two attacking full backs then we’d need a proper defensive 6.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NJS said:

That might work when we have everyone fit and raring to go. Especially Joelinton and Willock who with their energy allowed the team to maintain a higher press.

So this year he's been found out time and again. Also of course teams have worked out how to better play against us as our approach is very clear.   

I don't think Burn was ever supposed to be a long term LB. He's done really well and it's been brilliant to see how much he's enjoyed it but Tino has already showed what a difference a proper quality full back can make and he's only going to get better. 

I don't think it is a case that Dan Burn has been 'found out'. He was always slow. Premier League scouts amd managers will have identified that our whole back line is very slow. 

One big difference,  as I said in the Botman thread, is the keeper. Pope sweeps far more, enabling the back line to push further up. Dubs is doing a decent job but it will lead to more issues with the pace of our whole back line. 

Burn is not a long term solution but he was never meant to be. I am still not sure what is going on with Hall. 

I think he is maybe deliberately trying to not play Tino at left back as I think he is seen as our long term right back. I could be miles off though. It is easier to plead a case for a left back as well if you haven't been playing Tino there who was doing a great job thus stuffing up the long term right back plan.

He definitely hasn’t been found out. He has had a couple of bad games (notably Brighton away where he was asked to play CB and then Forest when he clearly wasn’t match fit). 

He is in the one to upgrade bracket along with Miggy and Ciggy in the long term but he is always dependable.  I’ve no issues with him as that’s where we are in our current trajectory. 

• Like 4

I love his honesty and commitment. There’s a reason 1,500m runners aren’t 6ft6 and built like a brick shithouse. But despite that he tries his best get up and down the wing and support the left winger. He’s obviously limited in an attacking sense but he’s rarely let us down in terms of performances 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Alex said:

There’s a reason 1,500m runners aren’t 6ft6 and built like a brick

:lol:

There’d be a lot more runners doing a Radcliffe by the trackside if they looked over their shoulder and saw BDB tearing after them. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Nefilim said:

If we got rid off all the shite players straight away, we'd have been left with Maxi.

Lots of contracts up this summer...

Aye, because he was injured and no one wanted him.

• Jaysus... 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

First half he gave away two balls that Trips had to scramble back to recover. He was pony first half. 

The one thing you know with Burn is that he will reflect on his errors and try to improve. You can't fault his effort, but he's working against physics trying to defend against smaller, faster and infinitely more agile defenders in the kind of space being wide affords you. To his credit he managed to restrict the number of times his errors were costly last season quite effectively whilst still bringing the value of his height, set piece presence and attitude to the team. I've said it before that I love having a player like him in the team, he just gets it. At the same time he's a square peg in a round hole as far as fullbacks go, fundamentally there's no getting away from that.

• Like 3

what this thread is screaming out for is my video from last night of my mate mick (he's from blyth) serenading big dan at the end of the match in all his pavarotti like splendor!  :lol:

file appears to be too big though.  :(

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Thought he was class last night in his primary position.

yes. A useful reminder that he’s a great option at cb 

• Like 4

Agreed. He didn't put a foot wrong. And put in several important tackles, too.

He deserved the clean sheet that that feckless moron denied him.

• Like 2