Jump to content

2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat


wykikitoon
 Share

Recommended Posts

ON THIS DAY 1969: Ujpest Dozsa 2 - 3 (2-6) Newcastle United - Toon Army win the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup

 

 

 

 

Which poster is old enough to see this match live ?

 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've never seen that before. I've got a vague memory of the family huddled round the wireless in front of the coal fire listening, but not totally sure if I've  made it up or not

I definitely remember my father coming into my room( in retrospect obviously pissed) after the first leg and giving me the program and a blow by blow of the game. Much to my mother's annoyance as she had to get me up for school the next morning

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was born roughly 18 years after this - just in case some of you weren't feeling old enough.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They were a good side by all accounts, not quite the crack players Hungary produced a decade earlier but still good enough to beat some top outfits including Don Revie's Leeds United side. (He didn't give us a chance). I was still four years away from gracing the planet with my existence when we won our last trophy,  🎵....and here's to Bobby Moncur, the fairs cup in his hand....🎶 :D

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Wardi said:

Yes I still have this on VHS video tape.  I was 11 years old.

 

This explains A LOT about your contributions to the jokes thread. 

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

I was born roughly 18 years after this - just in case some of you weren't feeling old enough.

 

:finger:

 

I went to a fairs cup thing a few years ago after a mate had a spare, was good crack actually, there was Frank (knew everyone's father) Clark, David Craig, (just turned 80) and John Gibson who was on form with his never ending glasses of wine, there was also a brief guest appearance from an even earlier player and character, Ron (Cassius) McGarry who was getting on a bit but still a bit of a joker. McGarry used to have a bookies round the corner from us in the 80's and would be standing outside asking passers by who'd obviously been to the match if it was a good game? He once asked my dad what the match was like after seeing me with a NUFC cap on or something walk past his shop so my dad gave him his opinion on the game. After we walked past my dad said he used to be Newcastle's striker but I just thought he was an old gadgie so wasn't sure whether to believe him! :D

 

 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just too early for me - first game I can remember being aware of and watching on TV was the 1970 FA cup final between Leeds and Chelsea. 

 

I don't remember watching the 1970 world cup which was after that though I have a feeling they didnt time the games for Europe then so they would have been on too late. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, spongebob toonpants said:

I've never seen that before. I've got a vague memory of the family huddled round the wireless in front of the coal fire listening, but not totally sure if I've  made it up or not

I definitely remember my father coming into my room( in retrospect obviously pissed) after the first leg and giving me the program and a blow by blow of the game. Much to my mother's annoyance as she had to get me up for school the next morning

My uncle has a dvd. But it was one my cousin did from footage on vhs I think as a birthday present for his dad. I’ve watched it before but I think it was just highlights of both legs 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

 

:finger:

 

I went to a fairs cup thing a few years ago after a mate had a spare, was good crack actually, there was Frank (knew everyone's father) Clark, David Craig, (just turned 80) and John Gibson who was on form with his never ending glasses of wine, there was also a brief guest appearance from an even earlier player and character, Ron (Cassius) McGarry who was getting on a bit but still a bit of a joker. McGarry used to have a bookies round the corner from us in the 80's and would be standing outside asking passers by who'd obviously been to the match if it was a good game? He once asked my dad what the match was like after seeing me with a NUFC cap on or something walk past his shop so my dad gave him his opinion on the game. After we walked past my dad said he used to be Newcastle's striker but I just thought he was an old gadgie so wasn't sure whether to believe him! :D

 

 

Peter Withe in attendance? 

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dazzler said:

I was born roughly 18 years after this - just in case some of you weren't feeling old enough.

 

There is absolutely no way youre only two years older than me.

 

No offense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

 

There is absolutely no way youre only two years older than me.

 

No offense. 

You realise that’s David Dickinson in my display picture, aye? :lol:
 

Tbf he looks his age, and I also look his age.

 

Also, some offence taken.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Toonpack, Spongebob, RobinRobin, Alex. 


On the radio as it happens, wasn’t televised iirc 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

 

 


The outrage on that thread posted by folks typing on their phones (made in sweatshops) wearing shirts/t shirts/jeans shorts/trousers/trainers/ undercrackers(made in sweatshops) is mad.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

New PSR avoidance strategy, sign dodgy PIF owned Saudi/Middle Eastern sponsors and build in hefty cancellation fee for reputational risk.

 

"Worker mistreatment? That'll be 10M, now bugger off. Next."

 

"Lashed your lass in public? That'll be 15M. Next."

 

"Fetish for farting on your camels' nose? Animal cruelty. 10M. Next."

 

arab GIF

Edited by aimaad22
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Toonpack said:


The outrage on that thread posted by folks typing on their phones (made in sweatshops) wearing shirts/t shirts/jeans shorts/trousers/trainers/ undercrackers(made in sweatshops) is mad.


That’s why I always tweet and post naked. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:


That’s why I always tweet and post naked. 

No wonder you are banned from Tesco's.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.