2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat

wykikitoon

12 minutes ago, Howay said:

And so it begins…:lol:

Premier League titles can be won by any team with determination, talent, and the backing of oil-rich nation states. 

But the true prize of being the one team known as “United” is open to a select few, the current holder of which is about to taste the bitterness of loss. 

( If I’m absolutely honest, I couldn’t give a shit about us being the United- the whole thing is massively disrespectful to all the other teams who are xxx Utd, it’s more about Manure losing that ridiculous status for good, as it would drive home the fact that they’re now has-beens 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Howay said:

He's got a fucking nerve, he's done it for years like them all, it's not their fans doing it, they are United to them, it's him and his colleagues in the media that do it and especially bad when they play another United, so close by Sutton but no cigar.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

He's got a fucking nerve, he's done it for years like them all, it's not their fans doing it, they are United to them, it's him and his colleagues in the media that do it and especially bad when they play another United, so close by Sutton but no cigar.

Agreed, as you say it’s a problem in the media not the fan base - he’s right that it’s a disrespect but he’s missed the mark, the disrespect is when it’s Manchester United v Newcastle or Leeds or West Ham etc and the coverage exclusively refers to “United”, at best it’s pandering and at worst it’s disrespectful either way it’s pathetic. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

I used to have an Irish boss who was a Liverpool fan who used to say United referring to them all the time so I always corrected him by saying "Man United" every time - by the end of the time I worked for him (6 years) he'd been cured. 

His brother used to travel across from Ireland for all the scouse cunt games but he'd never been and he talked about making the Champions league final in Istanbul his first game but I did threaten to murder him if he did - just for it being his first game. He didn't go in the end but eventually went to a few normal games - they used to offer discounts on tickets for midweek games when the Scandinavian/Irish tourists couldn't make it so he took them up on the offer a few times. 

• Like 2

Looking at the game against Chelsea and what they've got going on in the lead-up:

2/11 CL: Zagreb (H) 

6/11 PL: Arsenal (H) 

9/11 EFL cup: Man City (A) 

... Before travelling to SJP on the 12th.

I think we've got a massive chance of beating them at SJP. Their workload is greater than ours (CL game), they're on the road mid-week prior to the game where we're at home, and they've got games against the top 2 in the country, albeit one in the cup. 

If Brighton can pump these at home, I fancy we can get a result too and sign off for the World Cup on a high and potentially in the top 4.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Looking at the game against Chelsea and what they've got going on in the lead-up:

I think we've got a massive chance of beating them at SJP. Their workload is greater than ours (CL game), they're on the road mid-week prior to the game where we're at home, and they've got games against the top 2 in the country, albeit one in the cup. 

If Brighton can pump these at home, I fancy we can get a result too and sign off for the World Cup on a high and potentially in the top 4.

Don’t know if it’s a thing but they seem to be playing more of the players they’ve brought through themselves recently, the ones who are usually farmed out on loan, Chalobah & Gallagher etc. Losing Abramovich looks like it’s hurting them … 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Don’t know if it’s a thing but they seem to be playing more of the players they’ve brought through themselves recently, the ones who are usually farmed out on loan, Chalobah & Gallagher etc. Losing Abramovich looks like it’s hurting them … 

They spent a fortune in the summer, didn't they? But hopefully you're right and that was just a new owner coming on board. I think we'll get ahead of these other teams in time anyway, but it wouldn't hurt to have one of them fall away to accelerate things. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

If Wilson stays fit then Isak is going to have a hard time getting back into the team. 

26 goals in 53 games for us. And half of those were playing Bruce Ball. 

There was talk about him also playing wide right. Also gives us the option to rest Wilson I suppose. 

26 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

They spent a fortune in the summer, didn't they? But hopefully you're right and that was just a new owner coming on board. I think we'll get ahead of these other teams in time anyway, but it wouldn't hurt to have one of them fall away to accelerate things. 

The most they’d spent in one window iirc. 

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

5:30pm kick off on a Saturday means thousands of pissed-up Geordies going radge. Atmosphere will be electric, I fancy this one more than Southampton away.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Premier League titles can be won by any team with determination, talent, and the backing of oil-rich nation states. 

But the true prize of being the one team known as “United” is open to a select few, the current holder of which is about to taste the bitterness of loss. 

( If I’m absolutely honest, I couldn’t give a shit about us being the United- the whole thing is massively disrespectful to all the other teams who are xxx Utd, it’s more about Manure losing that ridiculous status for good, as it would drive home the fact that they’re now has-beens 

It used to really irritate me. These days I really couldn't give a shit.

People get up in arms about it because they perceive it as arrogance on Man United's part when in reality it came about to differentiate them from the other main team in Manchester.

So long as we stay above them, they can refer to themselves however they want for me. There's far more important things for us to get worked up about than this.

I did do a double take yesterday during the Man U/West Ham match when Martin Tyler referred to the ‘two Uniteds’. I’ll chalk it up to old age and assume it’ll be back to normal next time we play ‘United’.

Edited by ewerk

Manchester United aren't even a proper 'united'. Neither are Leeds. They're just renamed clubs whereas we came about as the amalgamation of two clubs.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

the person that fuck's me off the worst for doing it is shearer.

pretty sure sheffield were the original united if any team felt the need to lay claim to being abbreviated to the second part of their name only.

that all said I can't recall ever referring to us as united anyway and rarely even newcastle united to be honest. I always refer to myself as simply a newcastle supporter.  :)

edit.....

actually thinking about it 'united' followed by a short burst of claps and repeated over and over again was frequently sang in the leazes during the 70s but can't remember it being sang much since then?

mind you, that might well be down being an old cunt with a shit memory accelerated by far too much cannabis abuse!   :lol:

Edited by thebrokendoll

32 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

actually thinking about it 'united' followed by a short burst of claps and repeated over and over again was frequently sang in the leazes during the 70s but can't remember it being sang much since then?

Definitely sung into the 80s and 90s as my little group used to replace United with "she likes it" and the claps with "up the bum" . Quality humour right there

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Definitely sung into the 80s and 90s as my little group used to replace United with "she likes it" and the claps with "up the bum" . Quality humour right there

you're probably right mate!  :)

my memory of the 80s seems to recall the chant newcastle, newcastle, newcastle....

with a louder new-castle at the end being the prominent song?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

the person that fuck's me off the worst for doing it is shearer.

pretty sure sheffield were the original united if any team felt the need to lay claim to being abbreviated to the second part of their name only.

that all said I can't recall ever referring to us as united anyway and rarely even newcastle united to be honest. I always refer to myself as simply a newcastle supporter.  :)

edit.....

mind you, that might well be down being an old cunt with a shit memory accelerated by far too much cannabis abuse!   :lol:

United chant from the 90s, (I was in amongst them)...... I heard it on Saturday as well but nowhere near as loud and some of the young Tory dipshit elements in our fanbase add a 'toon' where the clapping would be..... Because they've shit for brains. :good:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

United chant from the 90s, (I was in amongst them)...... I heard it on Saturday as well but nowhere near as loud and some of the young Tory dipshit elements in our fanbase add a 'toon' where the clapping would be..... Because they've shit for brains. :good:

trying to work out where that is and not getting it, much to my shame!

anyway I'm sure I'd have been there too...

I'm fact, if you listen before the 'keegan' chant you can here newcastle, newcastle, newcastle start up.....

that was probably me!   :lol:

Edited by thebrokendoll

1 minute ago, thebrokendoll said:

trying to work out where that is and not getting it, much to my shame!

anyway I'm sure I'd have been there too...

I'm fact, if you listen before the 'keegan' chant you can here newcastle, newcastle, newcastle start up.....

that was probably me!   :lol:

Peterborough away in 92. :good:For once it wasn't the Keegan chant but 'Sheedy' as it was he that scored the goal but easy mishear it as it sounds very similar! :lol:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Howmanheyman said:

Peterborough away in 92. :good:For once it wasn't the Keegan chant but 'Sheedy' as it was he that scored the goal but easy mishear it as it sounds very similar! :lol:

I.was there then!

no memory and deaf, pretty much fucked me really!  :(

• Like 1

• wykikitoon changed the title to 2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat