o'neil's salubrious playground of the dorset uber wealthy v howe's scally infested coop of decapitated fowl

thebrokendoll

Just now, wykikitoon said:

I think it was G-Dogg that said. We are absolutely fuck all threat for corners. We have people Burn and Botman and even Gordon and we are no threat at corners. 

All down to your Botman predictions 😉 

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I think it was G-Dogg that said. We are absolutely fuck all threat for corners. We have people Burn and Botman and even Gordon and we are no threat at corners. 

It was T-shyy 

• Haha 4

We have to put this disappointing run of games in perspective. Form was always going to drop away at some point. And we’re still not even losing games. We’ve come miles in a very short space of time and expectations have inflated.

It’s frustrating we didn’t strengthen our midfield in January. It is frustrating that our season has stalled and we’ve drawn a lot of games with teams we should be beating if we want to finish top 4. But the fact we’re even having this conversation is ridiculous. Agree with whoever it was on the previous page who said the season would still be a triumph if we slip a few places.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Alex said:

If we wanted Maddison and he wasn’t available (but is in the summer) then waiting rather than spending c. £60m for the sake of it was the right thing to do. Obviously that’s conjecture but it’s not exactly an unrealistic scenario 

☝️ This. We're not going down and will finish upper mid table at the very worst, which would have been our pre-season target. Yes, we're exceeding that (currently) and CL would be nice, but it's looking like we currently haven't the squad to sustain the level of performance and even with CL cash, I'm not sure we could create a squad to cope with the additional workloadnext season.

Hence, ownership will consider this season a great success (which it is) and stick to plan IMO.

My main concern is that in earlier draws we missed some real sitters but we created fuck all yesterday and looked anything but our usual rock solid selves at the back, not to mention conceding from a corner again !!

But in the not too distant past, all our draws would have been defeats so I'm not going to complain too much.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Apart from Brighton there’s no one in the top 7 really on a great run of form at the moment. We have to hope that this is a blip rather than signs of exhaustion from the side.

25C4A156-A643-4EAD-8AAA-24C710FFA138.jpeg

shame we have stalled too because it’s an opportunity missed to cement a top four spot.

it’s the squad size that’s going to knacker us. The same players start week on week out. There’s little to no rotation and we have no depth in key positions such as midfield. 

• Like 2

It is a hard one. Some performances were below what we have come to expect. I was a bit disappointed with Isak but he has lacked some game time. I think ASM played himself into the game as it went on. We do miss Bruno but that is going to happen as it is the way we have set up the team. We also had the early change of Willock which is not great when working to a plan. I thought that Botman and Burn were not up to their usual standards either. However,  we have again got a point and we were playing away from home. We may finish 4th still. Our disappointing games end up in draws rather than our better games. There seems to be some good take aways as well. I thought Longstaff had a good game and Miggy took his goal well. I don't think he would have finished that opportunity at any point last season. Even Murphy looked alright. I feel like we are still doing a lot of things well and the other things are clunky/disappointing rather than horrendous. Cutting out some of the sloppy loss of possession and we should be good. 

• Like 9

If willock’s injury keeps him out against Liverpool we either have to start Anderson or change shape to more of a 4-2-3-1 with Joelinton and Longstaff sitting behind the forwards 

21 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

If willock’s injury keeps him out against Liverpool we either have to start Anderson or change shape to more of a 4-2-3-1 with Joelinton and Longstaff sitting behind the forwards 

Or Gordon can just play in Willocks position?

3 hours ago, Toonpack said:

☝️ This. We're not going down and will finish upper mid table at the very worst, which would have been our pre-season target. Yes, we're exceeding that (currently) and CL would be nice, but it's looking like we currently haven't the squad to sustain the level of performance and even with CL cash, I'm not sure we could create a squad to cope with the additional workloadnext season.

Hence, ownership will consider this season a great success (which it is) and stick to plan IMO.

My main concern is that in earlier draws we missed some real sitters but we created fuck all yesterday and looked anything but our usual rock solid selves at the back, not to mention conceding from a corner again !!

But in the not too distant past, all our draws would have been defeats so I'm not going to complain too much.

Bruno is our most creative midfielder so with him missing we look light on ideas going forwards. ASM is on his way out and will be replaced by Gordon in the coming games.

Our main target in the Summer needs to be a Willock replacement at ACM. Maddison would fit the bill. Longstaff and Joelinton can do the dirty work but are unlikely to get many assists. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see Targett win his place back when he's fit too. Our squad is 6th-10th realistically. On a par with West Ham, Leicester etc. We are punching above our weight atm and the squad overhaul is going to take 2 or 3 seasons 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Or Gordon can just play in Willocks position?

yeah, I dunno. Maybe? He has the energy and ability to press in that position. I think he’s always played further forwards though. 

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

shame we have stalled too because it’s an opportunity missed to cement a top four spot.

it’s the squad size that’s going to knacker us. The same players start week on week out. There’s little to no rotation and we have no depth in key positions such as midfield. 

Double whammy of tired players and lack of competition. But aye, of course top 6 would be amazing, but what is hard to take is coming so close and the opportunity lost to make serious progression as a league contender, way ahead of schedule. Rarely will we get a better chance. I don't think it's remotely hyperbolic to point this out as some have suggested. I'll be disappointed with less that fourth, as I was under Robson when we came 5th and for that matter Keegan when we came second. 

• Like 3

Trouble is it doesn’t work like that.

players we used to think of as world beaters go off the boil and other teams strengthen. Other coaches / teams suss out how to play against you. Managers and players lose confidence and crowds get jittery.

you have to take your chances when it counts, being philosophical is great for mental health / real life but when it comes to football it’s ruthless

we can’t just assume we’ll be anywhere near this position next season (of course we might be and I’ll be happy to be proved wrong) but I think we could potentially look at this January window like we did the year we signed kluivert… sometimes you need to really go for it when you have the chance.

I’m not bedwetting but who here fancies us against ManU in the final?

5 minutes ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

players we used to think of as world beaters go off the boil and other teams strengthen. Other coaches / teams suss out how to play against you. Managers and players lose confidence and crowds get jittery.

you have to take your chances when it counts, being philosophical is great for mental health / real life but when it comes to football it’s ruthless

we can’t just assume we’ll be anywhere near this position next season (of course we might be and I’ll be happy to be proved wrong) but I think we could potentially look at this January window like we did the year we signed kluivert… sometimes you need to really go for it when you have the chance.

All well and good, but the better players have to be available, as for Man U, I wouldn't fancy us against those bastards if they were bottom of the league without a win all season.

11 minutes ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

I fancy us against Liverpool with the home crowd behind us. Liverpool will try to win the game which could work to our advantage and give us space to operate behind their full backs.

But this slump in form probably means Man U start the final as slight favourites. There’s so much pressure on us in that game because it’s the chance to end the trophy hoodoo.

With Bruno back in the side we have a big chance though. If Willock is fit we will revert to the lineup that looked so good for so long with Joelinton back out wide.

Shame Casimero isn’t suspended for it as he makes Man U a much tougher proposition. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

I agree about missing an opportunity to really go for it in January. But these owners have done everything right since they came in, they’re clearly trying to do it the right way in terms of FFP. They probably looked at it and just felt we are miles ahead of schedule so it’s not the end of the world if we don’t finish top 4. If anything it’s an unexpected bonus

this season, so it’s hard to be too critical. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

We signed a player for £40m. It’s not a missed chance if other targets weren’t available. People go on like you just make a bid for someone and the other club let’s them go just like that. It doesn’t work like that. We’ve made huge strides and are living with legacy of being a zombie club for over a decade. We’re hampered by ffp because our revenue is a joke. We’re performing way above expectations. 

• Like 6

Just now, PaddockLad said:

Two Geordie legends yesterday…for those not sure that’s Mad Mick from Cramlington on the left :good:

E202A738-8BBD-410A-87D4-9B139FEC11ED.jpeg

Is the other one Peter Withe? 

• Haha 7

Just now, Alex said:

Is the other one Peter Withe? 

Yes, it is her :D 

Had a pint with Keith Barratt (used to run buses to every away game, chartered jumbos to champions league games etc etc, all round good cunt) yesterday too, he said he came back after they took all the Sports Direct signs down before the Villa game last year :good: 

• Like 2

Barratt and his old man were responsible for this, they had the banner at Hull City in the cup and some radged giant doorman type character appeared (allegedly paid by the club ie Llambas/Ashley) at half time and tore the banner down, Barratt got a banning order as a result and started following South Shields instead.. 

7CEAEEFE-7E42-4165-A060-C8C9A3AA7469.jpeg