Other Games 23/24

Ayatollah Hermione

34 minutes ago, Alex said:

No, it was the other way round. He finished up playing as a CB but played the vast majority of his games as a (right-footed) LB. He was predictably brilliant in the middle too though. There is some ridiculous stat where him and Baresi played there together about 150 times in serie a and Milan conceded 25 goals (or something like that). However it makes a good point, that while he was more celebrated as a full back he’d easily get ahead of Twaterazzi (TM Isegrim) in the middle too. You could say similar about Bergomi too. Who should probably make the team as a RB (if we’re talking about in my lifetime) but would be another better CB than the aforementioned Twat 

I think it was the European cup final of about 94 or so against Barcelona I think when Baresi was a late withdrawal so they moved Maldini to centre half and he was obscenely good in that game as they hammered Ronaldo etc al 4-0.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Alex said:

I’m sure I didn’t imagine this but didn’t Vieri speak English with an Aussie accent (for obvious reasons) only to later transition to speaking English with an Italian accent? :lol: 

Edit, realise you knew all this and was totally whooshed but here's what i wrote for others like Gemmill who didn't know:

I wasn't joking, CV was born in Italy but raised in 'stralia mate. His old man was manager of Marconi, an Australian national league team with Italian association, so from aged 4 to 15 he lived and was schooled in the west of Sydney. The family migrated back Italy when CV was signed by AC Santa Luca.
His shite younger brother, Max (Massimiliano) who was born here, played for 'stralia, as he was never going to make the Italian team. And CV owns heaps of property around Sydney.

BTW Viduka has gone the same way but now speaks English with a Croatian accent.

Edited by sammynb
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, NJS said:

I think it was the European cup final of about 94 or so against Barcelona I think when Baresi was a late withdrawal so they moved Maldini to centre half and he was obscenely good in that game as they hammered Ronaldo etc al 4-0.

You’re spot on. Costacurta and Baresi were both unavailable (suspended I think) so Maldini played there with both the first choice CBs out. I remember watching it at university and this lad I knew called Rob (Ipswich fan) called it perfectly saying he thought Milan would win easy. As everyone thought Barcelona would win (Van Basten was still injured and I seem to remember one or two others of their first choices not being available). 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Edit, realise you knew all this and was totally whooshed but here's what i wrote for others like Gemmill who didn't know:

I wasn't joking, CV was born in Italy but raised in 'stralia mate. His old man was manager of Marconi, an Australian national league team with Italian association, so from aged 4 to 15 he lived and was schooled in the west of Sydney. The family migrated back Italy when CV was signed by AC Santa Luca.
His shite younger brother, Max (Massimiliano) who was born here, played for 'stralia, as he was never going to make the Italian team. And CV owns heaps of property around Sydney.

BTW Viduka has gone the same way but now speaks English with a Croatian accent.

I also seem to remember reading CV was a promising cricketer 

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

I also seem to remember reading CV was a promising cricketer 

He would have played the Waughs considering his age and where he grew up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I despise Brentford

They shouldn't bother with a midfield, just keeper>launch>hope some fucker gets their arse on it>goal

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sammynb said:

FYP to make it right, aye mate?

He said vaffanculo in an Italian accent, switched to Aussie for the flamin galah then back to an Italian accent when he said 'eh?' :good:

• Haha 3

Phillips is the lesser of the midfield evils that Southgate's selection policy plauges us with out of the Henderson, Gallagher and Phillips trio. Only injury can save us from Henderson going to Euros.

For any other country going to this Euro's a midfield of Rice, Bellingham and Foden picks itself. Most progressive attack minded midfield we'll be lucky is if Trent plays holding mid alongside Rice, and Foden from a wing. 

Happen to think England wise, it's a perfect balance of two evils. Steve Holland being the tactical guy responsible for the handbrake being kept on, and Southgate being the FA middle-manager/PR guy that is responsible for team unity and positivity. Basically Southgate will always pick likes of Henderson because of 'muh leadership' and Holland won't see anything wrong with playing him over say a Foden or Maddison centrally.

Edited by Nefilim

9 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Foden, Rice and Bellingham are miles ahead of any other English CMs this season. 

Fully expect to see Henderson, Gallagher and Phillips start the first game in Euro24

Bellingham is a nailed-on starter if he’s fit. Surely even for Southgate. He’s fucking dying to play Phillips as one of two holding midfielders for his ‘defensive stability’ though. I actually dread to think how bad Phillips’ form would need to be for him to not make the squad at least. Also, I don’t mind the idea of Foden playing wide in a front 3. As he’d naturally take up central positions and get involved more anyway. So long as it’s a midfield 3 of something like Rice, TAA and Bellingham. It won’t be though. It’ll be a 4-2-3-1. With two DMs doing the same job and Bellingham in the middle of that 3. Saka will start on the right of the 3 and it’ll be Foden on the left, if he’s lucky. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

Bellingham is a nailed-on starter if he’s fit. Surely even for Southgate. He’s fucking dying to play Phillips as one of two holding midfielders for his ‘defensive stability’ though. I actually dread to think how bad Phillips’ form would need to be for him to not make the squad at least. Also, I don’t mind the idea of Foden playing wide in a front 3. As he’d naturally take up central positions and get involved more anyway. So long as it’s a midfield 3 of something like Rice, TAA and Bellingham. It won’t be though. It’ll be a 4-2-3-1. With two DMs doing the same job and Bellingham in the middle of that 3. Saka will start on the right of the 3 and it’ll be Foden on the left, if he’s lucky. 

Agreed but this is Southgate. We talk about Howe having his favourites but this bloke takes it to a different level.

Phillips, who is still dining out on his performances in the euros three years ago, will start alongside Rice.

Henderson, who should do the honourable thing and retire from international football, will run him close.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Rice too. It's the one that remains that will be one of Phillips/Hernderson/Gallagher. Rice is his wet dream midfielder - Sits back, breaks up play well and keeps the game boring.

8 hours ago, Nefilim said:

Phillips is the lesser of the midfield evils that Southgate's selection policy plauges us with out of the Henderson, Gallagher and Phillips trio. Only injury can save us from Henderson going to Euros.

For any other country going to this Euro's a midfield of Rice, Bellingham and Foden picks itself. Most progressive attack minded midfield we'll be lucky is if Trent plays holding mid alongside Rice, and Foden from a wing. 

Happen to think England wise, it's a perfect balance of two evils. Steve Holland being the tactical guy responsible for the handbrake being kept on, and Southgate being the FA middle-manager/PR guy that is responsible for team unity and positivity. Basically Southgate will always pick likes of Henderson because of 'muh leadership' and Holland won't see anything wrong with playing him over say a Foden or Maddison centrally.

Confused Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 5

None of Rice, Bellingham, Foden, Maddison, Grealish, Saka, Kane - all our best midfield/attacking players actually play that 4231 for their clubs. Just seems awkard for them all. In last few games I watched England (Australia, Macedonia, Malta) it was scary just how many players it takes England to move the ball into midfield, and get behind an opponents midfield line to actually attack them.

Was frightening against Australia - the game everyone booed off Henderson - Including GK, it was 8 players either going backwards or sideways. He played Colwill as a BurnLB, with Trent AA coming inside who just got in the way of Henderson... Gallagher did fuck all but go backwards, and Grealish just came inside and back because Colwill couldn't overlap and had no fucker to pass forward too.

Rice is more than capable of playing that single pivot as a DM, he does it well enough for Arsenal. It's going to be more natural for all these guys to play in that 433 shape rather than involving someone like Gallagher/Phillips.   

Edited by Nefilim

28 minutes ago, Tom said:

I think Eddie has broken Villa

It looks like they are fatigued as well. They’ve never hit any high energy levels since beating Arsenal and Man City. 

They’ve got Man Utd at weekend as well.  I’m not sure I fancy Villa in that at the mo.

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Like 1