senor enrique's qatari bankrolled, sulking parisian wannabees v monsieur eddie's guerriers saoudiens noirs et blancs.

thebrokendoll

14 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Oh wait I've just read the line that Miley will be playing for England within 3 years. That is a bold claim.

If he was a Man City/U, Liverpool or Arsenal player he already would be

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/nov/28/lewis-miley-psg-newcastle-united-champions-league

After spending the morning slagging Liew off for his bullshit tweet, he's written a really nice article about us. It's mainly about how ridiculously good Miley is but also positive about the team in general.

I almost feel like this makes his tweet worse cos he's obv just doing it for bites and to be a wum.

He still couldn't get through the article without having a dig.

And of course the irony is that Miley would probably not have been playing at all had it not been for Newcastle’s acute injury crisis. On a night when Paris fielded an all‑Parisian front three, it was a reminder, perhaps, that even in the state-fuelled vanity project there is room for the green shoots of joy, for a local hero, for something organic and real. Perhaps in the end, power always finds a way. But – and this is the hope that must sustain football even in its dystopian dog days – so too does talent.

12 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Nah, that doesn't simplify anything, how do you prove deliberate?

You don't need to prove it 100%. Just beyond reasonable doubt. e.g. Suarez v Ghana clearly deliberate. Tino last night? not deliberate. Forest's defender last season? sufficiently deliberate. The handball decision we got at Spurs when it came off Dier? not a pen.

Dead easy this.

• Like 1

It is what it is, and we would have had to go out to try to beat Milan in the final game either way tbh. It's not like we could have gambled on PSG getting a draw in Dortmund.

I'm still just really proud of the team as my main emotion following that. If we end up in the Europa League, fine. If we qualify despite this, great.

In the end I still never thought I'd see days like this return, and as unfair as that penalty was, at least we're here in the first place. Getting screwed by VAR at the highest level of the game :D 

• Like 15

Just another example where the VAR officials need to own and make the decision. It puts the ref under too much pressure to change their decision when they go to the screen. I know he should have stuck with his original decision but it’s inevitably going to make people think they’ve made an error under those circumstances

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

It is what it is, and we would have had to go out to try to beat Milan in the final game either way tbh. It's not like we could have gambled on PSG getting a draw in Dortmund.

I'm still just really proud of the team as my main emotion following that. If we end up in the Europa League, fine. If we qualify despite this, great.

In the end I still never thought I'd see days like this return, and as unfair as that penalty was, at least we're here in the first place. Getting screwed by VAR at the highest level of the game :D 

Totally agree with this.  We fielded a weakened team with a 17 yr old starting in central midfield and basically no substitutions that we could make to positively effect the game and those lads did us proud.  We were on the wrong end of a poor refereeing decision and that's disappointing but they happen all the time and sometimes we get the benefit from that, this time it went the other way.  We can still qualify, I'm confident we can beat Milan (how amazing is it to be able to say that!) but if we don't we haven't let ourselves down in any way.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

He still couldn't get through the article without having a dig.

It was a reminder, perhaps, what a tedious cunt Liew is 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, strawb said:

The big problem with VAR and refereeing is that all referees are nerdly little spenks who got bullied at school. Every single one of them watch their lass get fucked by another bloke.

Equally applicable to the sports writers at The Guardian 

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, strawb said:

The big problem with VAR and refereeing is that all referees are nerdly little spenks who got bullied at school. Every single one of them watch their lass get fucked by another bloke.

Didnt know wykiki was a ref

• Haha 8

24 minutes ago, strawb said:

You say that but at the Cardiff semi final in 2005 one of our party had his daughter with him. A very well known premier league referee gained carnal knowledge of this young lady on the Saturday night before the game. I couldn’t possibly name this ref but his initials are Mark Clattenburg :cuppa: 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 12