Best Goal You've Ever Seen At St. James' Park?

Tooj

I'm on about since you've started following the Toon here.

Now me only being 21 I don't have the experience of seeing as many matches down the years as a lot of folk on this board, so obviously I can't say Pedro's classic against Brighton or that peach McGhee scored when he ran it from basically in his own half.

Now I could go from anything from a Shearer volley vs Everton, although my favourite Shearer goal at SJP has to be the free-kick he scored against Arsenal at the Leazes End, looked like it was never going to finish. Pedro obviously scored a few peaches, such as the goal against Norwich for example, Ginola's against Ferencvaros, Alex Mathie's versus Sheff Wed was also a personal favourite of mine, I also seem to remember Peacock scoring a fantastic chip against Swindon I think it was were he took it down and lobbed the keeper, obviously Robert has a few contenders.

But however for me, despite the fact it wasn't from a Toon player, I honestly can't look past Bergkamp's versus us in the 2001/02 season, now I am a self confessed Bergkamp fan and I think he is the most underrated player i've ever seen in the fact his technique for me is by far the best the Premiership has ever seen, the vision everything about him is superb (even the fact he was a nasty bastard) but I don't know if he meant that goal. However I can safely say i've never seen a goal as good as that in all my times since i've been watching the Toon.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<scans memory for details>

As Ive said before my footballing memory is shite so the details are so hazy! but my fave would be the one back in the good old days where *insert name of opposition here* had a penalty at the Leazes (I was in the Gallowgate at the time) Super Kev Carr saved it and rolled it out to *name of player 1* who passed to Waddle (i think) legs it up pitch, passes to Beardsley, legs it some more, maybe Keegan had a touch or so and then *I think* Beardo scored...or was it Waddle? come to think of it it may have been Keegan but I think it was Pedro.

Rob Lee smashing one over the head of the Brentford keeper from inside his own half, only to have the goal disallowed for offside...against THEM!

93 I think.

Left peg was it not?

That 25 yard chip by Albert v Man u & probably the best goalkeeper in the world at the time,you can talk about pedro and how he slid in to win the ball and chip corrigan but Albert's was just as good how he ghosted through the mancs and topped it off.

David Kelly V Pompey. Passed from pillar to post, ended up 2 rows and an enitire section from where I sat. I still have the bruises.

I'll second that one. Absolutely brilliant.

That spring to mind, maybe when Steve Watson volleyed against Liverpool in the cup. It was at Anfield, but I was at SJP watching the beamback they used to do - so technically it was at SJP :unsure:

David Kelly V Pompey. Passed from pillar to post, ended up 2 rows and an enitire section from where I sat. I still have the bruises.

:(

The 'best' by a country fucking mile!

After that you're looking at:

Gascoigne v Palace (1988)

McGhee v Bradford (1990)

:unsure:

It really pisses me off that I cannot for the life of me remember DK's goal against Pompy. I'm sure I was there but I cannot remember a thing about it.

Ginola's volley against that Hungarian team in the wafa, Albert's chip or Shearea's volley against Manure are all highlights for me.

That 25 yard chip by Albert v Man u & probably the best goalkeeper in the world at the time,you can talk about pedro and how he slid in to win the ball and chip corrigan but Albert's was just as good how he ghosted through the mancs and topped it off.

Agreed

A thing of true beauty, I actually had tears in my eyes :lol:

Robert's free kick in the 4-3 Vs ManUre.

The only thing to beat that, was the sight of Roy Keane getting his marching orders.

Yep thats the one for me. He knobbed one in a few weeks earlier that was pretty important. Dont see many goals knobbed in by the likes of Bergkamp or Henry do you???

Best goal I saw was Gazzas against Chelsea. I was sat in the makeshift seats in the Leazes for some reason that day.