The Official Transfer Thread

Guest Stevie

Right now Spurs are far more attractive than us. To say otherwise is ridiculous delusion.

No doubt if we'd have signed Modric you'd be complaining about him being a trophy signing rather than commending us for showing ambition by breaking our transfer record.

You really can't lose, can you?

no, I think trophy signings is a stupid phrase, always have done. A quality player is a quality player, end of, and the ambition to sign quality players together with succeeding in getting the players the manager wants should never be criticised.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok then, which one of my points are false? Y'know your arguement is pointless unless you actually back it up with something so go on, explain why he should have signed for us.

I don't agree, and I can't be arsed to argue. They shouldn't be a better proposition than we are, is my view, and shelling out the money is one way to prove we are better, and probably the only way right now.

I don't see how having a billionaire owner makes us a better club than them right now.

I think you're looking at this through black and white tinted glasses and the fact that you can't put up a defence leads me to believe that you know that yourself. But if you don't want to discuss it then fair enough, we'll agree to disagree.

odd, but its others who have rose tinted specs - black and white ones - if Fat Fred was in charge and this happened you'd be slating for all its worth. Like I said, I can't be arsed, there's nowt to say, other than Spurs have mugged us twice [not happened in 20 years] but see it as you like. I think its a worrying indictment that we are getting mugged again by clubs smaller than we are.

and no doubt you would be defending him for all its worth.

sadly for you, I don't recall him [and Hall Jnr don't forget] being mugged twice by smaller clubs like Spurs for players that the manager wanted, othewise I most certainly wouldn't, but maybe the fact that it didn't happen to them is still beyond your comprehension and might explain my "defence" of them , as you call it.

As said before Shepherd and Co lost out on quite a few players by not putting the money forward.

Others have pointed out why Spurs are more attractive than us so I don't think I really need to point it out again. Another reason they are more attractive than us at the moment is the poor choice of managers during the last years of Shepherds reign which set us back a lot. I suppose Mort has failed this season though as he couldn't instantly get us into a champions league place.

Ok then, which one of my points are false? Y'know your arguement is pointless unless you actually back it up with something so go on, explain why he should have signed for us.

I don't agree, and I can't be arsed to argue. They shouldn't be a better proposition than we are, is my view, and shelling out the money is one way to prove we are better, and probably the only way right now.

I don't see how having a billionaire owner makes us a better club than them right now.

I think you're looking at this through black and white tinted glasses and the fact that you can't put up a defence leads me to believe that you know that yourself. But if you don't want to discuss it then fair enough, we'll agree to disagree.

odd, but its others who have rose tinted specs - black and white ones - if Fat Fred was in charge and this happened you'd be slating for all its worth. Like I said, I can't be arsed, there's nowt to say, other than Spurs have mugged us twice [not happened in 20 years] but see it as you like. I think its a worrying indictment that we are getting mugged again by clubs smaller than we are.

and no doubt you would be defending him for all its worth.

sadly for you, I don't recall him [and Hall Jnr don't forget] being mugged twice by smaller clubs like Spurs for players that the manager wanted, othewise I most certainly wouldn't, but maybe the fact that it didn't happen to them is still beyond your comprehension and might explain my "defence" of them , as you call it.

As said before Shepherd and Co lost out on quite a few players by not putting the money forward.

Others have pointed out why Spurs are more attractive than us so I don't think I really need to point it out again. Another reason they are more attractive than us at the moment is the poor choice of managers during the last years of Shepherds reign which set us back a lot. I suppose Mort has failed this season though as he couldn't instantly get us into a champions league place.

they put the money up as much as possible and went the extra mile once or twice too.

When Ashley and Mort do this, I'll accept they have twigged on that you have to do this in football if you want to succeed.

I could reverse this question and say how come a Chelsea squad player is a "trophy player" [or who do you mean] and Modric isn't ? Remember, trophy player isn't a phrase I coin, its only a phrase used by people to misrepresent the old board.

Fact is, as I've pointed out before, the so called trophy players actually play for the trophy winning teams.

I don't agree that Spurs are more attractive than us, we have played in europe more than they have done in the last 10-15 years, a lot more in fact. It is up to Newcastle United to show these players how good a club we can be and do what it takes to persuade them. That is acting like a big club.

Leeds have done more than Bolton in the last 10-15 years but I doubt many players will think about that. They will look at where the club is NOW and unfortunately we have been shit for a number of years.

More highly rated manager.

European Football.

Cup winning season.

Based in the capital.

As much as you want to argue about the whole "5th best club" etc etc.. the fact is right now they are a more attractive club. If we had replaced Robson with a manager who was even close to his level then maybe it would be a different story and we can't blame that on Ashley and Mort.

Leeds have done more than Bolton in the last 10-15 years but I doubt many players will think about that. They will look at where the club is NOW and unfortunately we have been shit for a number of years.

European Football.

Cup winning season.

Based in the capital.

As much as you want to argue about the whole "5th best club" etc etc.. the fact is right now they are a more attractive club. If we had replaced Robson with a manager who was even close to his level then maybe it would be a different story and we can't blame that on Ashley and Mort.

Totally agree, sadly.

European Football.

Cup winning season.

Based in the capital.

Totally agree, sadly.

me too because it's absolutely right sadly

European Football.

Cup winning season.

Based in the capital.

I'll give you based in the capital. The rest is utter bollocks. We have been exposed in europe more than spurs massively in the last 10-15 years, as I've said.

Why don't you respond to my comment about behaving like the 3rd biggest supported club in the country ? This is the core of what I'm saying ? Saying how big a club Newcastle are means absolutely fuck all if they don't act like it.

Don't you think the 3rd biggest supported club in the country should be buying these so called "trophy players"....what a fucking joke phrase if you don't.

They are in Europe next season, we aren't.

They have a very highly rated manager in Europe, as much as we like Keegan I doubt he is seen the same throughout Europe.

They have won a cup this season.

I really don't know how you can dispute (or in your words claim its "utter bollocks") any of this. Ok we do have a big crowd but I don't think that compensates for everything else Spurs can offer at the moment. They are hardly struggling for money either.

European Football.

Cup winning season.

Based in the capital.

Totally agree, sadly.

Still find it quite amusing that people keep bringing up Leeds, as if to prove some point to be honest, the point being to misrepresent the old board.

Simple fact is that its a complete one off, and anybody who thinks Bolton are a bigger and better club than Leeds is a total wanker. Do I take it that as Bolton are being mentioned here, Allardyce was a justified and worthy appointment by the old board for doing a lot better than Leeds ?

Also highly amusing that people focus on the last few years of Shepherd and the Halls and completely discount the previous 12 or 13, not even mentioning the state the club was in when they found it in comparison to how they left it. Shouldn't need this pointing out though, the Champions League qualification, UEFA Cup qualifications, 2 FA Cup Finals and a sell out 52,000 crowd for a decade really speaks for itself. Who exactly are all these superior clubs that didn't match that ?

It's Ashley's club now, aye. I've only pointed out that Spurs [ a smaller club than us] have mugged us for the first time in 20 years. Do you think that NUFC should act like the big club we think we are or not ?

They are in Europe next season, we aren't.

They have a very highly rated manager in Europe, as much as we like Keegan I doubt he is seen the same throughout Europe.

They have won a cup this season.

I really don't know how you can dispute (or in your words claim its "utter bollocks") any of this. Ok we do have a big crowd but I don't think that compensates for everything else Spurs can offer at the moment. They are hardly struggling for money either.

Like I said, Wimbledon won the FA Cup. Luton won the League Cup. Anyone thinking winning one cup entitles you to ignore the bigger picture .........

My point is because we have the 3rd biggest crowd in the country, we should act like it ? Do you understand this or are you going to continue defending the club underselling itself ?

European Football.

Cup winning season.

Based in the capital.

Totally agree, sadly.

Still find it quite amusing that people keep bringing up Leeds, as if to prove some point to be honest, the point being to misrepresent the old board.

Simple fact is that its a complete one off, and anybody who thinks Bolton are a bigger and better club than Leeds is a total wanker. Do I take it that as Bolton are being mentioned here, Allardyce was a justified and worthy appointment by the old board for doing a lot better than Leeds ?

Also highly amusing that people focus on the last few years of Shepherd and the Halls and completely discount the previous 12 or 13, not even mentioning the state the club was in when they found it in comparison to how they left it. Shouldn't need this pointing out though, the Champions League qualification, UEFA Cup qualifications, 2 FA Cup Finals and a sell out 52,000 crowd for a decade really speaks for itself. Who exactly are all these superior clubs that didn't match that ?

It's Ashley's club now, aye. I've only pointed out that Spurs [ a smaller club than us] have mugged us for the first time in 20 years. Do you think that NUFC should act like the big club we think we are or not ?

I don't think Spurds are necessarily a bigger club than us but being based in London and being able to offer European football next season will be an excuse for some players to choose them over us unfortunately.

European Football.

Cup winning season.

Based in the capital.

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...st&p=461036

If you're gonna plagarise my posts you could at least credit me. :rolleyes:

:nufc:

You need to stop living in the past and see what is happening now Leazes. The whole Leeds/Bolton thing was an example of this but as you like to say "no surprise you miss the point".

So in the summer a player would have been a "total wanker" to sign for Bolton over Leeds because Leeds is the bigger club?

Unfortunately players don't just think "wow 52,000 fans" other things come into their thinking and dismissing what Tottenham have to offer at the moment is being very naive.

You seem to think they have no spending power and we have a divine right to beat them to any transfer (and people slate Liverpool fans). Spurs have shown recently they have a lot of spending power, the only thing we do have over them at the moment is the crowd but they have more going for them than us at the moment.

If you honestly think a 22 year old from Croatia is going to take into consideration what we were doing years ago then you are again being very naive.

European Football.

Cup winning season.

Based in the capital.

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...st&p=461036

If you're gonna plagarise my posts you could at least credit me. <_<

:rolleyes:

:nufc: sorry I did say earlier it had already been spelt out and shouldn't need to be spelt out again, infortunately it did and was still dismissed.

People need to get a reality check and realise we aren't as attractive as we were a few years ago, just because we have the potential to be fighting for European places we need to prove ourselves before players buy it.

European Football.

Cup winning season.

Based in the capital.

Totally agree, sadly.

The Leeds thing isn't really a fair comparison as their wages had reached 88% of income and they didn't own 5/6 of their key players so they couldn't even sell out of trouble.

Spurs equal record fee for Modric

Modric has scored three goals in 24 appearances for Croatia

Tottenham have revealed they will equal their record transfer fee by paying £16.5m for Luka Modric.

The amount Spurs will pay Dinamo Zagreb for the Croatia midfielder is the same as they agreed to sign striker Darren Bent from Charlton in June 2007.

Tottenham confirmed the terms of the deal to the Stock Exhange on Tuesday. They will pay the £16.5m in instalments over the next four years.

Modric has agreed a six-year contract, subject to gaining a work permit.

May I add we lost out to Middlesborough for Huth and Woodgate:

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcast...-name_page.html

Should we not have beaten them to these signings Leazes? ;)

do you deliberately miss the point ?

Woodgate had already chosen us once before, and wanted to play for his hometown club when he had the chance, just like Shearer turning down manu in fact.

As for Huth, I don't know, do you ? Maybe the club had spent all its money ? Which is completely different to now, because the club has its full budget, whatever it is, and a more persuasive manager too, and of course supposedly a superior board. Shame it didn't work on this occasion.

The point is that, the old board had proven its ambition many times. And you can't say on one hand the club should shell out the money to buy every player, then slate them for "overspending" which is what is happening here, again.

Keegan bandwagon jumpers and new generation NUFC fans, slating people who give them a club that plays in the Champions League, europe, 2 FA Cup Finals and buys players to attract a full ground every week...........