The Official Transfer Thread

Guest Stevie

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think hes really been done over by Saylors injury to be honest, otherwise we'd have sold him or colo but he can't afford to now, he needs us to get promoted to make his money

31 days in.

7.5 hours to go.

Players in: 4 (Routledge, Williamson, Hall, Van Aanholt)

Players out: 3 (Khizanishvili, Harewood, Geremi)

Is it safe to say the window as it stands has led to an overall salary drop for the fat man? I'd say so.

geremi's wages alone are probably equal to what the four new signings are on so yes

I sincerely hope we're looking for a different calibre of player in the summer (if we go up).

Doubt it.

All the noises before the window opened were about ensuring promotion and supporting the manger so he could compete once we went up.

Why leave everything until the summer anyway? You end up starting the season with a bunch of players that haven't got a clue how to gel so it takes 2 months of the season just to learn that?

I hate the idea of an overhaul with a better calibre, you have expensive players here just for the top flight football and if you lose a couple early on they have no heart for the fight cos they'll move on.

Not wanting to sound like Leazes, but in '93 it was around this time we were spending top flight money to sign Andy Cole (and Scott Sellars) to go alongside the cheaper players that had got us top of the league and could still do a job (Venison, Beresford, Lee, Bracewell). The biggest surprises on going up were the players we let go rather than who we signed. Only Beardsley integrated into the existing squad.

I hate the idea of an overhaul with a better calibre, you have expensive players here just for the top flight football and if you lose a couple early on they have no heart for the fight cos they'll move on.

But an overhaul is necessary if we are to compete in the PL. It's clear that the current squad simply don't have the talent to survive a PL season and I have my doubts as to whether they have the heart to give it a good go like some of the more successful promoted sides in recent years.

But an overhaul is necessary if we are to compete in the PL. It's clear that the current squad simply don't have the talent to survive a PL season and I have my doubts as to whether they have the heart to give it a good go like some of the more successful promoted sides in recent years.

Undoubtedly.

But THIS season is the time it should have been done.

Who has Hughton been allowed to bring in though?

Simpson, Lovenkrands, Khizanishvili, Harewood, Pancrate, Routledge, Williamson, Hall and Van Aanholt.

Rather than building for the Premier league the majority of those have already shown they aren't good enough for the first division.

Of course I hope we add quality to the squad in the summer given how we stand.

Looking at the squad numbers being given out though, let's not hold our breath.

Edited by Happy Face

I sincerely hope we're looking for a different calibre of player in the summer (if we go up).

Laughable isn't it? 17 years ago we got promoted and David Kelly wasn't considered by KK to be good enough to elevate to Premiership level. We can only dream of the 2010 equivalent of DK tbh.

It's a fucking joke.

was about to post "good" since hes probably their best player but they aren't really our concern anymore

they're 19 point behind us now, that shocked me quite a bit when I realised

1607: Ah Robinho - one of the major players in the greatest transfer deadline day of them all. British football's record signing has, of course, gone back to Brazil and today he was officially presented as a Santos player for the second time after joining on loan from Manchester City. Um, he did it in some style, too - stepping out of a helicopter with Pele to be greeted by thousands of fans at the Vila Belmiro stadium in Sao Paolo.

From BBC.

Doubt it.

All the noises before the window opened were about ensuring promotion and supporting the manger so he could compete once we went up.

Why leave everything until the summer anyway? You end up starting the season with a bunch of players that haven't got a clue how to gel so it takes 2 months of the season just to learn that?

Not wanting to sound like Leazes, but in '93 it was around this time we were spending top flight money to sign Andy Cole (and Scott Sellars) to go alongside the cheaper players that had got us top of the league and could still do a job (Venison, Beresford, Lee, Bracewell). The biggest surprises on going up were the players we let go rather than who we signed. Only Beardsley integrated into the existing squad.

congratulations, but the first time you ever sounded like me and its by far the best post you have ever made.

Laughable isn't it? 17 years ago we got promoted and David Kelly wasn't considered by KK to be good enough to elevate to Premiership level. We can only dream of the 2010 equivalent of DK tbh.

It's a fucking joke.

How true :lol:

Wolves-Coventry-inter-Leeds-spurs-pool-spurs-Celtic(?).

Regarding these transfers. It shows how shit the SPL is. Players leaving there, and in the case of Celtic, Regular European football-to play midtable Championship.

I didn't even know he'd signed for Celtic till I read that. About his level now, he's been shit at least 18 months, granted he's had a stop start time but he's not merited a place for Liverpool or Spurs. If he doesn't get 15 between now and the end of the season I'd be surprised though.

Edited by Stevie

January Spending in the Premier League...

2003 - £35m

2004 - £50m

2005 - £50m

2006 - £70m

2007 - £60m

2008 - £150m

2009 - £170m

2010 - £30M

:lol:

I know there's a recession on but that's low.

lot more loan deals tho..

I think it highlights more how spastically stupid it went in 2008 & 2009 tbh

Good to see if evening itself out again now, suprised Citeh havnt totally blew out!

What was our net spend this window? 3mil?