Owen

The Fish

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be vaguely interested to see how he does elsewhere. I'm not at all convinced that he'll score loads more goals with a 'better' team around him.

Still think he should go for the restaurant though.

OWEN ACCEPTS NEWSPAPER APOLOGY

Posted 03/06/09 11:44

Michael Owen has accepted a public apology and substantial undisclosed damages over "incredulous allegations" his football career was over.

The Newcastle striker was not at London's High Court for the settlement of his libel action over a story in the Daily Express last month.

Owen's solicitor, John Kelly, told Mr Justice Eady the article falsely alleged Premier League clubs did not want to sign him and, as a result of a lack of interest, he was on the verge of retiring from professional football at the end of the season.

Mr Kelly said: "These incredulous allegations are entirely without foundation and were obviously extremely distressing, hurtful and damaging to the claimant."

Ian Helme, counsel for Express Newspapers, who have agreed to pay damages and Owen's legal costs, accepted the allegations were false and without foundation and apologised for the distress, embarrassment and offence caused.

More money in the coffers for the greedy git :D

TBFF if he was always fit, banging them in the onion bag then NO-ONE would doubt his ability nor write such stuff about him.

He should be proving his status on the pitch and not in the courts, the fact he has done so has further damaged his credibility imo.

oh and of course the bahrain flight sim real estate advert hasnt helped.

close the door on yer way out fella.

Edited by meshman

I`ll be glad to see the back of the mercenary little twat,anyone with any shred of conscience would be weighed down with guilt after giving such a small return after being almost buried under a pile of money.

He doesn`t appear to give a shit

He went downhill we he joined Real Madrid, big mistake imo. Aston Villa seem to be favourites to sign him, playing alongside Heskey, good old english partnership. Good Luck getting goals out of those clowns.

15 games a season seemed to suit him just fine !

You could argue that he has been instrumental in our decline. A huge signing on fee and annual wage were paid on the basis his goals would fire us up the league. That money translated into debt or funds that could have been used to buy/pay better players for key positions. As it turns out he's mainly been injured, his worst injury being sustained on England duty when it was irresponsible to us for him to play. In addition he's been picked whenever fit regardless of his or other players' form and his media profile has been a distraction. He hasn't banged in the goals when we've needed them most as a rule.

I realise that he has sold a lot of shirts and added a bit of glamour for sponsors etc. but I wish now in retrospect we hadn't signed him. The money could have been better spent on the squad imo and I can't wait to see the back of him.

You're spot on Kitman mate, but none of us would've dreamt that was the macabre outcome of boyo's tenure.

A fucking disastrous buy. Shit choice for captain too imho.

You're spot on Kitman mate, but none of us would've dreamt that was the macabre outcome of boyo's tenure.

A fucking disastrous buy. Shit choice for captain too imho.

His 'England' injury was fucking criminal. He - and NUFC - knew he wasn't fit to playing football after 38 minutes of first team football in 4 months after he broke his foot at Spurs.

If Shearer gets the job I wouldn't be surprised to see the tool stay on to try and leverage a better transfer in Aug / Jan - cos he'll struggle to get 35k.

He's the last person i want to be wearing a toon shirt :aye:

Aston Villa register interest in signing Newcastle's Michael Owen

• Striker will not accept pay-as-you-play deal

• Manchester City retain interest in 29-year-old

Michael Owen is willing to take a significant salary cut to join Aston Villa but the Newcastle United striker will not countenance signing a pay-as-you-play deal or agree to any clauses that could further reduce his wage in the event of injury.

The former England international, who will be available on a free transfer when his contract at St James' Park expires at the end of the month, will also demand a significant signing-on fee.

Martin O'Neill refused to rule out a future move for Owen when he signed Emile Heskey, his former Liverpool and England strike partner, from Wigan Athletic in January, and the 29-year-old is among the Villa manager's summer targets following Newcastle's relegation.

Villa and Owen's representatives have yet to hold formal talks and no offer has been made to the player, although the Midlands club has registered its interest and the possibility of a meeting has been broached.

Much, however, could depend on the financial package Villa are willing to put in front of Owen as well as the possibility of Manchester City entering the race at some stage. The world's richest club are currently pursuing more high-profile targets, in particular Carlos Tevez, though Owen could yet emerge as a back-up plan and there is little doubt that City would be in a position to offer the forward personal terms well beyond Villa's reach.

Owen is understood to be prepared to see his basic wage slashed from £110,000 a week to around half that sum provided there is no link between appearances and pay. That deal would come within Villa's wage structure but O'Neill will have to weigh up the value for money that a player as injury-prone as Owen represents. During his four years on Tyneside the former Liverpool striker featured in less than half of Newcastle's league matches and was painfully short of form at the end of the season.

Owen does, however, remain a high-profile name and one that would be well received in the Villa Park dressing room where senior players, including Ashley Young, are understood to be concerned with the direction the club will take in the wake of Gareth Barry moving to Manchester City. Villa are not short of strikers but, with Heskey and John Carew both offering height and power, Owen would provide O'Neill with some welcome competition for Gabriel Agbonlahor.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/ju...illa-salary-cut

Not that it matters I suppose but the club captain could have at least said something in the press about the horror of relegation etc a la Duff, Taylor or Butt perhaps?

Anyhow, bugger off Michael, the sooner the better.

Lazy little twunt hasn't updated his extravagant website in months.

"I'm still not scoring at all and no-one seems to want me, looks like our lasses cleaning job down the bingo will have to do us both for a few months'

From NOTW

MICHAEL OWEN has sent a glossy 34- page brochure about HIMSELF to eight Premier League clubs in a desperate attempt to find a new team for next season.

More here:

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/3595...ut-HIMSELF.html

ahem, have N-O been involved again!!! whats the golf like?