Alan Pardew - Poltroon sacked by a forrin team

Kid Dynamite

What does Pardew Deserve?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

He's a Leighton Orient fan, isn't he? Good article, though - it'll never catch on, and his ban will be extended

Banned for saying MA was going to buy more of Rangers, dismissed as a lie by the club, two weeks before MA buys more of Rangers.

I'm officially willing to state that Pardew is looking like a solid manager at the moment. He seems to have a good grip around reality and tactics again, and I really hope it's not just pure luck. I also think he is very highly liked by the squad.

Edited by TheGoslingBeast

I'm officially willing to state that Pardew is looking like a solid manager at the moment. He seems to have a good grip around reality and tactics again, and I really hope it's not just pure luck. I also think he is very highly liked by the squad.

He's benefitting from decisions being taken out of his hand. He wouldn't have picked Sammy, Abeid, Perez if he had a fully fit squad.

Totally agree with Fish, its an o'leary at leeds situation all over again. O'leary was smart enough to keep the new players in when the "first teamers" got fit again, unfortunately I don't have any faith Pardew won't revert...

Aye, and lets not forget he DID try to play hoofball with Ayoze up front for a couple of games before other injuries forced him to scamper that plan :lol:

Yup, this is the way Pardew has operated with us for his whole tenure. He strikes a way to win and we go on a good run of results, eventually the momentum slows and he just keeps trudging on with the same ideas despite it clearly not working. We were totally fucking minging, for a year and a fucking half :lol: he can fuck right off for me because we'll have a downturn of form and will be on the wrong side of fucking howkings yet again. It's just a shame that if we're going to be stuck with this twat that we can't hammer teams, we just get comfortable 2-0 type wins, yet when we're shite we get spat out 4-0 or 5-0 with alarming regularity.

I just look forward to when we eventually don't have to have this bloke and his walking coronary of a boss as manager and owner of the football club.

It's pretty much the same for any manager - TBH overall the amount spent on the team is a pretty good indicator of where they will be long term - the manager then tries but normally fails to do much better than that over time - a team has a run of bad results , fires the manger and the new guy gets a run of good results - but it would have happend anyway

the interesting thing about Ashley is that, being a b***** who doesn't care, he keeps Pardew in place and so we see that the statos are correct - we're a mid table team on spend and that's what our long term results converge on - a bad run and then a good run,a bad run them a good run........

Pardew really has very little to do with it

It's pretty much the same for any manager - TBH overall the amount spent on the team is a pretty good indicator of where they will be long term - the manager then tries but normally fails to do much better than that over time - a team has a run of bad results , fires the manger and the new guy gets a run of good results - but it would have happend anyway

the interesting thing about Ashley is that, being a b***** who doesn't care, he keeps Pardew in place and so we see that the statos are correct - we're a mid table team on spend and that's what our long term results converge on - a bad run and then a good run,a bad run them a good run........

Pardew really has very little to do with it

2vwii6p.png

Number of games lost from the last 87 games. The most recent 3 seasons worth for all PL ever present clubs.

Converging on 14th.

Alan Pardew: Newcastle United squad depth a pleasant surprise

Manager Alan Pardew says he did not expect so many of Newcastle United's young players to play such a key role in their recent Premier League revival.

The Magpies have won four successive league games, beating Liverpool and Tottenham, as well as knocking holders Manchester City out of the League Cup.

Striker Ayoze Perez, 21, has scored three goals in as many games.

"Did I expect certain personnel to be around it and to have done so well? No," Pardew told BBC Newcastle.

"I didn't think he (Perez) would have the impact he's had. Sammy Ameobi I've always hoped for. Paul Dummett? No. Jack Colback playing every minute of every game? No. Mehdi Abeid? No.

"These guys have come through and that's what we really want."

Newcastle's transfer policy has been to sign players with potential, in terms of achievement and sell-on value, that has been borne out by the signing and subsequent sale of players such as Yohan Cabaye and Mathieu Debuchy.

_79101144_458228664.jpg

Jamaica-born winger Rolando Aarons has emerged as an exciting prospect for England and Newcastle

Summer arrivals such as Perez, Remy Cabella and Emmanuel Riviere fit that criteria, and have made some impact in the first-team squad.

However, Pardew has previously been disappointed not be to be able to nurture his own talent pool.

He is confident that is changing, with players such as Rolando Aarons and Adam Armstrong also involved for the Magpies this season.

"If we look at the teams financially above us, their record with young players is not good," Pardew continued.

"I look at teams similar to us. I look at Everton and what they've done over the last four years is what we haven't done and we are now starting to.

"That is to have young players saving us money by coming through to the first team and my staff deserve credit for that. Some players we've had to work very hard on."

:lol::cry:

His "tactics" haven't changed. The personnel has. The enthusiasm of a small group that haven't played in the top flight (in 3 years or ever) isn't sustainable.

I think his tactics have changed somewhat. He's played wingers instead of Goufrran and Sissoko wide with more emphasis on them defending than attacking. This has also allowed our back four (particularly the central two) to sit deeper and allow no space in behind them. This has resulted in goals for the wingers and goals from crosses into the box as well as conceeding less because we aren't getting caught out by opposition players in behind.

I certainly think he's had an element of luck in how well the younger players have done and he may well have been forced into some of the tactical change because of who has been available but I think it's only fair to let him have some of the praise for the change in fortune. If we're going to give him the majority of the stick for the shambolic performances over the past couple of seasons then he has to get some credit for this current upturn. I don't think it will last and I'm sure that he'll go back to making god awful decisions soon enough so I can wait until then to give him shit for that. I still think the bloke is a cunt and a shit manager but he's hit upon a sucessfull formular at the minute and deserves some credit (as do the players) for it.

That still sounds like a change in personnel rather than tactics to me.

Like you say, the young lads on the wings now are actually wingers, we've got a bit of pace there and up top. We've gone from dominating possession but having no ability to break down defensive minded opponents, to having no possession whatsoever but the individuals in place to expose the space left by more attack minded opponents on the break. It's the same formation, the same cagey, hard working approach, but pacier players to exploit spaces. It changed from half time against Spurs, with a double substitution he deserved credit for early in the game.

I thought it was harsh of people to say he got lucky against Man City, because I thought it was a gameplan, which he derserves credit for. Man City are an ageing team, both their first and second string, no matter how skilled they are, the young lads we put out could cause them all kinds of problems with their energy and speed alone, as long as we were tight at the back too.

It's been a perfect storm that it's actually worked repeatedly against some of the leagues better teams, albeit we've not beaten anyone currently in the top half.

The basic problem he has hasn't been resolved though, rarely being able to break down any team that puts 10 men behind the ball, and usually conceding several to any team that comes at us with any verve.

That still sounds like a change in personnel rather than tactics to me.

Like you say, the young lads on the wings now are actually wingers, we've got a bit of pace there and up top. We've gone from dominating possession but having no ability to break down defensive minded opponents, to having no possession whatsoever but the individuals in place to expose the space left by more attack minded opponents on the break. It's the same formation, the same cagey, hard working approach, but pacier players to exploit spaces. It changed from half time against Spurs, with a double substitution he deserved credit for early in the game.

I thought it was harsh of people to say he got lucky against Man City, because I thought it was a gameplan, which he derserves credit for. Man City are an ageing team, both their first and second string, no matter how skilled they are, the young lads we put out could cause them all kinds of problems with their energy and speed alone, as long as we were tight at the back too.

It's been a perfect storm that it's actually worked repeatedly against some of the leagues better teams, albeit we've not beaten anyone currently in the top half.

The basic problem he has hasn't been resolved though, rarely being able to break down any team that puts 10 men behind the ball, and usually conceding several to any team that comes at us with any verve.

I think it's been a decision to actually play with wingers rather than wide players grafting. I can't agree that's just personel. It's a tactical decision to try and use the wings as a method of attack rather than just seeing them as somewhere where we can get exposed ourselves.

We will really have to wait and see if that basic problem has been resolved though. Since the change has been made we've basically been 100% successful. I suspect like you that it hasn't but I was just talking about the recent improvements that I think we (ie those of us who don't respect him as a manager at all) have to give him some credit for.

The beauty of a run is that it gets the confidence flowing. That will be enough to fix the problem temporarily. Even if he played exactly the same players/formation as he did against Southamton in our next game, they'd be a totally different proposition and wouldn't play with the fear that the previous 10 months generated.

Don't doubt we'll see a drop off sooner or later though.

But that has not appeased sections of the fanbase. The SackPardew.com website is continuing its campaign to oust the boss, who will complete four years at St James’ Park next month.

“I have never been into the website,” says Pardew. “When the website started somebody said to me it was quite an organised website. It wasn’t like a nine-year-old on the computer sort of saying, ‘I don’t like Pardew’. It was much more serious than that.”

So it is, with detailed analysis of Pardew’s record as manager such as that in each campaign there was at least a third of the season where his win ratio was between 14 and 29 per cent. But Pardew says: “You just have to stay with your philosophy, believe what you do is right.”

So did Ashley have no intention of sacking Pardew?

“I would never know if there was. There was enough in the background that I had done at the club that made the owner stick with me. He made me feel confident. I was confident going into the next period of games when we managed to turn it round.”

But, even as Pardew savours this moment, he admits:

“It’s certainly been the most difficult time for me in Newcastle. The back end of last season [14 League defeats between January and May] spilled over into this season when we sold Yohan Cabaye and did not have a replacement.

“We were a bit unlucky at the start. Against Aston Villa and Crystal Palace, we should have won but we lost (we drew both games).

"It looked to our fans that we were in reverse. So it was tough. Some of the personal jibes were hurtful. You can’t disguise that. But you have to be resilient, particularly as a Premier League manager. You have to ride the storms.

“I’ve had a few [setbacks] in my career and not just in Newcastle. In the Championship at West Ham, we really had some tough days. I remember losing to Tony Pulis’s Stoke and being run off the park at Wigan.

“Against Millwall, I lost 4-0. Can you imagine the West Ham manager losing 4-0 to Millwall and surviving? That steeled me for what’s happened in Newcastle. Your credibility, your respect everything goes out of the window. You have to fight to get it back.

“I’m quite good at getting over games. I try not to put the pressure which is on me on to the players, my staff and certainly not my family. You have to be quite single-minded and focused in what you are doing.”

Only Arsene Wenger, with his 18 years at Arsenal, has been at a Premier League club longer than Pardew has been at Newcastle and less than a third of managers across all four divisions have had at least two seasons at their clubs.

“What is disturbing is that I am probably about the fourth or fifth longest serving [manager] in the country, and that includes the First and Second Divisions and the Championship,” says Pardew. “Those leagues are spiralling out of control for managers, and young managers are struggling to get going.”

One of the challenges for Pardew this season has been finding a replacement for Cabaye in the withdrawn No10 role, a position Pardew has used since he was at Reading.

“Sometimes I play that system with a striker, sometimes with a midfielder. Last year Cabaye had massive success in the first half of the season. Moussa Sissoko has grown comfortable in that role and he’s probably one of the big reasons why we have picked up.

“He is not a Cabaye. He’s got a different role. Cabaye was the intelligence of the team, Moussa is like the battering ram. He’ll make a run that blows the back four apart. The goal he scored against Manchester City Cabaye wouldn’t have got.”

Pardew rates that 2-0 win over Manchester City in the Carling Cup as the moment when, “We made people sit up a little. I don’t think anybody saw it coming apart from us. I told them in the dressing room we could win.”

What really excites Pardew is that Newcastle are developing players who may play for England.

“Newcastle is a great area but we haven’t produced many players over the last 10 years. For the first time we are seeing real buds of success, local boys, something we are very proud of. We are no longer just a French team.

“We have Freddie Woodman, Adam Armstrong, Rolando Aarons who are all highly rated by England. I am not saying these guys are going to be future England internationals but they have a chance. Paul Dummett is already a Welsh international, Sammy Ameobi has played for the Under-21s.”

So what are Pardew’s hopes for the rest of the season?

A note of caution comes into his voice. “We have so many young players we are not sure how good they are going to be. We have had serious blows through injury this year. Our biggest signing, Siem de Jong, has played one game [as a 70-minute substitute]. Fabricio Coloccini will miss the next three games.

“He’s a terrific presence on the pitch, not only a leader of men but he has a great way of leading. He never looks ruffled and gives that assurance to the team. In a pride of lions, he is the lion sitting on the hill looking over his brood, so losing him is going to be a blow.”

This may explain why Pardew will not look too far ahead. Next month Newcastle play Tottenham in the Capital One Cup quarter-final, when they will return to White Hart Lane, where they won 2-1 in the League last month.

Pardew adds: “We got to the quarter-finals of the Europa League but in domestic cups we’ve been poor and I’d like to do a lot better.”

"Cabaye was the intelligence of the team, Moussa is like the battering ram."

Is... is that racist?*

*please read in an increasingly high pitch, ta

The scousers and the press are still talking about Suarez and probably will all season. The impact that one player can have is now firmly established even at a club that invests. It's fair enough Pardew talks about Cabaye as if his replacement was De Jong then he has had to deal without having one for 10 months.