mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

Aye well yeah. And tbh, it doesn't look like the new guys will have the capital to push them forward quickly - it'll be sustainable planning and growth. The Ashley model, arguably.

18 minutes ago, zico martin said:

I still don't get why short would do this though. Good news for them obviously but it seems too good to be true doesn't it?

I wonder if he thought he'd spent X amount and it was going to cost more to get more to get back to the PL and even if he did it was more of the same shit anyway (plus on top of that he'd still have the debt anyway).

From what I can gather, they're still making losses so while not having the threat from the debt over their heads is clearly a good thing for them, anything else is going to be hugely dependent on what their new owners have to put in.  At this stage we have no idea who their owners will be so it's impossible to know how much benefit they are going to see.  

My first though is though that even without the debt, they are going to need cost cutting for at least this season so it's really still very much up in the air whether or not they will have any sort of squad capable of putting together a promotion challenge.

Having new owners who aren't actively trying to get shot of the club must a positive for them though and positives is what they need more than anything.

5 hours ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

Some on here are obsessed with them.Not me

2 minutes ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

I see Sunlun's Kate Adie is to receive a Bafta Fellowship award.MLF no doubt.

Yep,Sunlun's Kate Adie,born in Whitley Bay .

:lol:

19 hours ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

Some on here are obsessed with them.Not me,I just fuckin hate them.27-3-1970.

Is this performance art?

14 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

So any club can just get a massive loan and then their owner pay it off? Seems like too obvious a loophole to me.

No. The money is accounted for under FFP when it's spent. So if we took a loan of £50m this summer and spent it on players it would count towards FFP, the repayment of the loan three years down the line wouldn't as it's already been accounted for.

19 hours ago, Rayvin said:

if he was ready to do this, then it makes the Fish look right about his reluctance to spend in January. If he can afford to stuff an extra £80m or whatever it was into the club to pay off that debt, then why didn't he spend any money to save them

:cuppa: 

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

:cuppa: 

1 - you were right by accident.

2 - even if you weren't, you've only managed to correctly guess the behaviour of a truly irrational man.

;)

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

1 - you were right .

2 - you've managed to correctly assess the behaviour of a truly irrational man.

:lickMe:

Sunderland's turmoil after back-to-back relegations has nothing to do with outgoing owner Ellis Short, says former manager Gus Poyet.

The Black Cats will play in the third tier for the first time in 30 years next season, while Short has agreed a long-awaited sale of the club.

"There is something inside the club that doesn't let it be as successful as it should be," Poyet told BBC Sport.

"I don't think it is anything to do with Ellis Short."

The Uruguayan said the current situation is "incredible", adding: "It hurts a lot because I had a great time there."

Poyet was one of nine managers during Short's reign but was sacked in 2015 with the club 17th in the Premier League.

Short has owned Sunderland for nine years and during his time in charge the club repeatedly escaped relegation from the top flight before finally dropping out of the Premier League last season as the bottom side, before suffering the same fate in the Championship this campaign.

The American has been heavily criticised in recent seasons for a lack of spending and a distant relationship with the club as he tried to sell - manager Chris Coleman, who was sacked on Sunday following relegation from the Championship, claimed he did not speak to Short during his six months in charge.

But Poyet said he has "no complaints" about his relationship with Short.

"We always talked regularly when he was in England, London, Sunderland or in America," Poyet said.

"When you change the manager many times and it doesn't get better, then people blame the directors and the chairman.

"I had a fantastic time with him when I was there. We were always very honest to each other, he knows what I think about everything that was happening there and it is fantastic for him to remember those things I said to him and that will stay between us."

Poyet took charge of Sunderland in October 2013 with the club bottom of the Premier League.

Four victories and a draw from their final six league games helped keep them up - a run that included wins at Chelsea and Manchester United, plus a draw at Manchester City.

The Uruguayan also led the Wearsiders to the 2014 Capital One Cup final, which they lost to City.

Former manager Simon Grayson, who started this season in charge of the club, added: "It's very difficult to solely put the blame on Ellis because he's invested something like £200m into a football club and anybody who invests that sort of money has a real affinity with a club."

Has it been pointed out yet that this thread was started on the anniversary of the TAKING OF THE FULWELL!

essemmbee has it so I can't look at the thread without seeing it, you twat. :lol:  

• Haha 1