Aston Villa vs Newcastle United

Aeris

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope when Pardew was there taking notes he saw how shite Delph and Bennent are and plans to attack their left side without mercy.

I pray he starts with someone other than Shola out there. Gouffran perhaps?

We could (if they're all registered in time) see:

Krul

Debuchy Mbiwa Colo Santon

Perch

Anita Cabaye

Gouffran--------------Marveaux

Cisse

Could swap Perch for Bigirimana.

We have to go at these, it's imperative.

I pray he starts with someone other than Shola out there. Gouffran perhaps?

We could (if they're all registered in time) see:

Krul

Perch

Anita Cabaye

Gouffran--------------Marveaux

Cisse

Could swap Perch for Bigirimana.

We have to go at these, it's imperative.

if we have sissoko in for anita, even better. that would make 6 of the first 11 fenchies, with ben arfa and possibly more to come :lol:

if we have sissoko in for anita, even better. that would make 6 of the first 11 fenchies, with ben arfa and possibly more to come :lol:

I'm guessing that was an oversight and you meant Sissoko for Perch... right?

I'm feeling slightly more optomistic that we might actually win this one having made a couple of new signings and with Colo staying! Having said that, I still feel we need a striker and albeit we haven't heard anything about a new one coming in (not unless there is something happening in the background - just like Cisse last year) then I think we'll be going into this game with Cisse, Ameobi and Gouffran available.

Krul

Gouffran Cabaye Anita Marveaux

Ameobi Cisse

That's what I think we'll line up as.

If Sissoko signs in time, I'd be tempted to go with this:

Krul

Obertan Cabaye Sissoko Marveaux

Gouffran Cisse

That would mean 8 french speaking players linking up - good for the new boys in terms of integration

Yeah there is always the question of putting new people in too soon etc but I think unquestionably we need Mbiwa and Gouffran. Not sure if Sissoko will be here on time as you say. You'd like to think the new players will have lifted the current squad as well.

If Sissoko signs in time, I'd be tempted to go with this:

Krul

Obertan Cabaye Sissoko Marveaux

Gouffran Cisse

That would mean 8 french speaking players linking up - good for the new boys in terms of integration

For me it's got to be

Krul

Debuchy Colo MBiwa Santon

Anita Sissoko Cabaye

Gouffran Cisse Marveaux

http://www.guardian....-cup?CMP=twt_gu

Millwall's John Marquis inflicts fresh misery on Aston Villa in FA Cup

Millwall 2 Aston Villa 1

Aston Villa's wretched week just got worse, as Millwall came from behind to deservedly knock Paul Lambert's team out of the FA Cup. Darren Bent put the visitors in front in the 22nd minute but they held that lead for just five minutes before their fragility from set-pieces resurfaced and Danny Shittu headed an equaliser from a corner. Their marking remained shoddy throughout and Millwall made them pay again in the 89th minute, when John Marquis nodded in the winning goal.

Paul Lambert might have relished an opportunity to rest his entire squad ahead of Tuesday's Premier League clash with Newcastle United, a duel with potentially ruinous ramifications for the battle to avoid relegation, but considered this match significant enough that he fielded seven of the players who started Tuesday's night inglorious Capital One Cup elimination by Bradford City.

The omission of the striker Christian Benteke was the one major concession to the looming showdown with Newcastle. Bent made his first start since the victory over Ipswich Town in the previous round and was partnered up front by Andreas Weimann, who had scored an insignificant goal after coming on as a substitute against Bradford. Most of Villa's players, then, were challenged to prove they have the ability to atone immediately for embarrassing failure.

Kenny Jackett was looking for improvement too, and the Millwall manager made three changes to the line-up that lost at home to Burnley at the weekend. But the pressure was emphatically on Villa rather than the team which has exceeded expectations this term to climb to ninth in the Championship.

The home fans were intent on creating an atmosphere that would expose any timidity among the visiting team, and Millwall's players started with similar intensity. That made for harum-scarum early fare in which the Lions held their own with the Premier League team. Not that Millwall were simply about guts and gusto. They showed guile too, with Liam Feeney and Liam Trotter bringing tidy touches and nimble running to midfield.

However, it was the direct running of Weimann that enabled Villa to make a breakthrough after 22 minutes of even exchanges. Feeney coughed up possession in midfield and Weimann hared forward, leaving Shittu lumbering behind him, before unleashing a low shot from 20 yards. Davide Forde, the Millwall goalkeeper, made rather a meal of blocking it and allowed the ball to bobble out to Bent, who scuffed it into the net from 12 yards. It was a far from composed finish but, surely, the goal would help Villa settle. Not so.

Set pieces remains a regular source of panic for Villa and Millwall took advantage within five minutes. First Shittu headed a corner just over the bar, then he was allowed another chance and duly powered a header into the net from six yards.

Villa were weaker in duels and playing without intelligence. Barry Bannan, introduced in the 39th minute for the injured Fabian Delph, addressed that slightly, seeking Weimann with several canny passes. But in general Villa were uninspired and Millwall deserved to be level at half-time.

Jamie Henry volleyed wide from 15 yards after one ineffective Villa clearance just after the break. Most of the time Henry was the provider of crosses rather than the recipient and Villa looked flustered every time he swung in the ball with his elegant right foot, whether from set pieces or open play. Meekness pervaded Villa and they seemed unable to muster a threat as the match ticked towards its conclusion.

Kenny Jacket's men eventually got the winning goal they deserved. This time the cross came from Adam Smith and, with Villa's marking typically negligent, Marquis headed against the crossbar from 10 yards before stooping to nod the rebound into the empty net.

Can't quite decide if this is a good thing or not...

Surely as well, we've got sufficient new signings for Villa to not really know how we're going to play - our players should be something of an unknown to them, making preparation harder. And we know how we have to play to beat Villa; Set pieces high into the box. If Bradford can do it...