The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

I know exactly what you mean but I think it's actually a dangerous word and it's structure and definition allows implications to be attached to its use which it is harder to do with the word, think.

I try not to think about such things (or anything) too deeply.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I have said this before but one of the most underrated attributes of a class footballer is intelligence (not real life intelligence but on a pitch e.g. Gazza).

You can have all the physical attributes or technical attributes you like but if you can't think outside the box, blindly follow what the manager says or have small moments of inspiration then you will not likely make it.

We have very few of these players IMO. I am hopeful that the new players (especially Wijnaldum) have this about them.

I think I have said this before but one of the most underrated attributes of a class footballer is intelligence (not real life intelligence but on a pitch e.g. Gazza).

You can have all the physical attributes or technical attributes you like but if you can't think outside the box, blindly follow what the manager says or have small moments of inspiration then you will not likely make it.

We have very few of these players IMO. I am hopeful that the new players (especially Wijnaldum) have this about them.

Woodgate was a prime example of a footballer who was intelligent on the pitch and thick as fuck off it.

I agree that Gini seems to be an intelligent player. I hopefull he will be very useful for us.

Edited by David Kelly

Reckon that was Pardews problem here a lot of the time, his ego wouldn't allow for players who didn't just follow what he said, hence dropping the flair players as he did in favour of the likes of gouffran.

It was one of the reasons Colo was a good defender in the past, he was never the quickest, strongest or tallest but he had the intelligence to make up for it, the exact fucking opposite of Steven Taylor, who had the physical attributes but none of the mental ones.

Organisation and systems etc. get you so far in football (see Pulis' teams for example).

Think my point is we desperately need at least one more quality intelligent center back, two if Williamson hopefully leaves.

So you think the coaching staff was a bigger weakness than our defence. I suppose I'd have to agree with that because I said all along I wouldn't renew my ticket if Carver was still in charge. But defence is the key weakness on the pitch and an area we haven't fully addressed transfer wise. This being a transfer thread I assumed that's what we were talking about.

mind-games.gif

Past it and just not that good. perfect and cheap excuse to not improve the defence further.

An injury to Mbemba and we're back to that appalling defence of last season.

Maybe Curtis Good will come out of nowhere and do the business (without the club spending a penny)?

I suppose there's now an argument that a wide player is now our biggest requirement. As it stands it's looking very likely that Obertan or Goufrran will get a decent run in the team and that really can't be acceptable. In every other position we have at least one senior player who's not complete dogshit.

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic