John "The Undertaker" Alder & Liam Sweeney RIP

Gene_Clark

I don't know if I've missed a reference to their passing elsewhere; if so, apologies.

Two NUFC fanatics, attending every game home & away since the year dot, died in the Malaysian Airlines incident yesterday. they were travelling to New Zealand to watch Newcastle when they lost their lives & my thoughts are with their friends & families.

i didn't know Liam, but I've known The Undertaker for pushing 30 years or more. always attired in a black suit & open necked white shirt, he was an absolute fanatic, as far from the stereotypical super fan as you could imagine.

RIP

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP

I was only on nodding terms with John but he was always a reassuring presence at away games - you knew you were in the right place when you saw him.

We knew we were in the right place in Palermo when our taxi nearly run the undertaker over in the middle of a thunder storm :lol:

Can't say I.knew him terribly well, but as a football supporter he was an absolute one off, never met anyone else like him in my life. He'd missed one game since 1973.

Rest in peace lads, thoughts with both families.

Horrible. Poor blokes.

Newcastle should do something to honour them.

You would hope that the least they'll do is a minutes silence/applause before the first home league game. Not the most original idea, but effective.

RIP

Newcastle United Managing Director Lee Charnley said: "The loss of John and Liam is truly devastating news.

"Both men were dedicated supporters of our Club and were known to thousands of fans and staff alike.

"On behalf of everyone at Newcastle United we send our deepest condolences to John and Liam's families and friends.

"The Club will be dedicating an area surrounding the Sir Bobby Robson statue for fans to pay their respects to John and Liam.

"The manager and players will also be wearing black armbands for both their games against Sydney FC and Wellington Phoenix in the

Football United Tour of New Zealand.

"Arrangements will be made to pay tribute to the two men at the Club's first Premier League game against Manchester City on Sunday, 17th August. Further information regarding this will be announced in due course."

Manager Alan Pardew said: "Myself and all the players are deeply shocked and saddened by this terrible news.

"We all knew how passionately John and Liam supported the team and the Club.

"They were with us just earlier this week for our first pre-season friendly against Oldham and their dedication to travel all the way around the world to support us in New Zealand tells you all you need to know about the passion they had for Newcastle United.

"Our hearts go out to their families and friends."

Edited by Andrew

Aye, that's good from the club that.

Just can't get over how fucked up that is like; going to see your team play halfway across the world, and then gone like that :(

RIP

Newcastle United Managing Director Lee Charnley said: "The loss of John and Liam is truly devastating news.

"Both men were dedicated supporters of our Club and were known to thousands of fans and staff alike.

"On behalf of everyone at Newcastle United we send our deepest condolences to John and Liam's families and friends.

"The Club will be dedicating an area surrounding the Sir Bobby Robson statue for fans to pay their respects to John and Liam.

"The manager and players will also be wearing black armbands for both their games against Sydney FC and Wellington Phoenix in the

Football United Tour of New Zealand.

"Arrangements will be made to pay tribute to the two men at the Club's first Premier League game against Manchester City on Sunday, 17th August. Further information regarding this will be announced in due course."

Manager Alan Pardew said: "Myself and all the players are deeply shocked and saddened by this terrible news.

"We all knew how passionately John and Liam supported the team and the Club.

"They were with us just earlier this week for our first pre-season friendly against Oldham and their dedication to travel all the way around the world to support us in New Zealand tells you all you need to know about the passion they had for Newcastle United.

"Our hearts go out to their families and friends."

Fair play to the club.

I don't know if I've missed a reference to their passing elsewhere; if so, apologies.

Two NUFC fanatics, attending every game home & away since the year dot, died in the Malaysian Airlines incident yesterday. they were travelling to New Zealand to watch Newcastle when they lost their lives & my thoughts are with their friends & families.

i didn't know Liam, but I've known The Undertaker for pushing 30 years or more. always attired in a black suit & open necked white shirt, he was an absolute fanatic, as far from the stereotypical super fan as you could imagine.

RIP

I've heard of the 'undertaker' before and must've come across them at some point throughout the years. Of all the games they've been to and sights they must have seen through the years and this happens at 30,000 feet up by a fucking actual missile. Unreal. RIP Lads.

P.S. Pleased the club have acknowledged them.