The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Great game. The whole series has been great to watch. Neither team dominating the other for sustained periods. We’re a little unlucky to be 2-1 down 

Wood man of the match for me. More wickets like this please 

Edited by Dr Gloom

Some big selection decisions.

You can’t drop Wood or Woakes after that, surely. Anderson has only taken three wickets in two tests but do you bring him back for old Trafford test to replace Robinson or bring back Tongue, who impressed?

Not sure about Moeen at 3. I don’t know if bairstow moves up the order or is dropped but you have to be starting Foakes after all YJB’s mistakes with the the gloves. 

On 09/07/2023 at 16:49, Alex said:

As soon as he was picked he was playing all 5 tests as wicky unless he got injured, mate. 

I hate to all Sean Casey but 👆

9 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

The Bazball effect

The marketing effect.
Players are far less famous than (for example) their 1980s contemporaries. Or their 2005 ones for that matter. They could be playing the most exciting test cricket of all time (they aren’t) and they won’t reverse the paywall effect. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Alex said:

I hate to all Sean Casey but 👆

Does that mean he is likely to be out before the next Test even though he has now been picked? :smile:

Edited by RobinRobin
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Alex said:

Or the bullshit effect, if you like 

I can only provide anecdotal evidence but it feels to me that more people are taking notice of test cricket than at any time I can remember since 2005, despite the paywall effect. The sky viewing numbers will never skyrocket to tens of millions because of limited access but ubiquitous access to IPTV these days negates that to some extent. 

The ashes series in 2005 caught the imagination, the last home ashes series to be broadcast on terrestrial TV iirc.

This feels similar. I’ve got friends and colleagues who aren’t really into the sport  talking to me about it just like in 2005. 

IMG_8095.thumb.jpeg.f7c019b8ef84856c9b8b7254389a16a4.jpeg

Didn’t realise it was quite that bad but I knew that prior to this series his average was significantly worse when he’d already kept wicket in the match. I mean, it’s not like the management etc. don’t have access to all these stats, is it? Plus you’ve got a side who’ll usually bowl first, given the choice, as they like to chase. And while I’m an obviously not his number one fan, given the frailty of the batting lineup (and the way they try to bat) - you absolutely need Bairstow the batsman performing in this side. So him keeping wicket so poorly and knock-on effect on his batting gives you the worst of all worlds.

• Like 2

So fresh from the victory of "three slips and a gully" I returned to the van after taking H for his river swim and radio is on, what you listening to I said, Mrs T. Replies "the cricket", I said that's tomorrow (girlie ashes) then it dawned on me, she was listening to the County games  !! Did get to hear young Rew get his double ton as wel,. 😂😂

england have come out swinging. they'll definitely declare today if they're not bowled out.

the weather forecast has turned this into a 3 day match so they'll want to bowl at the aussies today. can they get a 50-100 run lead before the declaration? it'll be fun watching them try 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

england have come out swinging. they'll definitely declare today if they're not bowled out.

the weather forecast has turned this into a 3 day match so they'll want to bowl at the aussies today. can they get a 50-100 run lead before the declaration? it'll be fun watching them try 

Aye at this particular moment they do have to go this way. Have to win and the time isn't there to do it like they should have first two tests.

4 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I'm a pretty level guy and never let emotion effect my application to work; I've sacked people I liked and hired people I wasn't very fond of. In 20 years I've swerved ruining this twice - first time was meeting Mike Ashley and second was the cunt above.

• Like 2