Generic small time football blather thread 2015/16

The Fish

6 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Walked away from a £3mil pa job. That meeting with the chairman must have gone well!

The Mackems are all celebrating, wonder how long til they click on nee fucker is gona touch that job with a shitty stick 

Don't be daft, there'll be a queue of top top managers wanting to take over a threadbare squad shorn of quality, and little money to strengthen. 

I hear Simeone is a Massive Lads Fan. :lol:

Hughtons been given the Championship manager of the year award.

Stands to reason given the brighton narrative for the season, "underdogs" despite spending themselves into tons of debt.

More deserving winners out there, the title winner, Wagner (considering huddersfields position lat season), Clough for Burton.

He won it last year as well I think, despite Dyche taking Burnley up as champions.

I don't begrudge him it like, I still think (even despite this) that he's overrated compared to a lot of the chancers out there.

5 hours ago, Alex said:

I don't begrudge him it like, I still think (even despite this) that he's overrated compared to a lot of the chancers out there.

Still reckon he'll be sacked by December. I like the bloke and he did a very good job at stabilising what could have been a disaster up here but he isn't a good Premier League manager imo. I also notice that Henry Winter gave mention to a "huge cheer" when he was announced. You'd like to think it's because he has the respect of the footballing side of this country but the cynic in me can't help but think it's the rest of the Championship being the sad bastards they are living vicariously through the fact it wasn't us and Rafa. You've got to take any victory when you're eating our dust, I suppose.

If he goes back to Sunderland he'll get a hero's welcome and likely get them up at the first time of asking. His Plan A works very well in that league with the right players. 

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

He claims that he now wants to enjoy life. So that definitely rules out a move to Sunderland.

:lol: 

they have a glass museum or something.

He's a manager I would hate to see go there.  They think he relegated us and they know we despise him so he could be just the man to get the inbred's back behind the club.  If he did go back he'd be getting money so they'd be in a good position to come back up.  No one wants that.

I think he wasn't given the money he wanted last year like so I can't see him getting it now so I think it's a non starter.  Apparently sewper Kev wants the job.

3 hours ago, David Kelly said:

Apparently sewper Kev wants the job.

He'd be a hugely risky appointment for a club of their size. He should do what Nolan's done. Small club, low expectations, so if he flops his long term ambitions aren't banjaxed. If Phillips goes from Assistant Manager at Derby to manager of Sunderland that's a hell of a step up. Huge pressure, anything less than promotion is a bad season for them.

Allardyce would be perfect, but I can't imagine he'd go back when they're so publicly fucked.

It certainly wouldn't surprise me to see Allardyce go back to Sunderland. The fans appear to want him and the England job was the only (if you can call it that) black mark against him whilst in charge of them.

However, I honestly don't think Ellis Short will want to risk too much on the squad, so that might rule out Allardyce.

Unless there's some massive upturn at that club, then they'll be staying in the lower leagues for many many years to come...potentially dropping as far as league two at some point...albeit, maybe briefly.

34 minutes ago, The Fish said:

He'd be a hugely risky appointment for a club of their size. He should do what Nolan's done. Small club, low expectations, so if he flops his long term ambitions aren't banjaxed. If Phillips goes from Assistant Manager at Derby to manager of Sunderland that's a hell of a step up. Huge pressure, anything less than promotion is a bad season for them.

Allardyce would be perfect, but I can't imagine he'd go back when they're so publicly fucked.

Phillips could, possibly, have the same effect of unifying their support as Allardyce would.  If they are to turn things round quickly they need something like we have had with Rafa where the whole town unites behind the manager because as things stand they are a complete mess and it's an even more miserable place than usual.  We saw that appointing someone like McClaren couldn't change the mood that had developed throughout Pardew's time here.  Phillips is as close as they have to a legend so he might be able to unite them. 

Of course he could be completely hopeless, it's anyone's guess at this stage.

1 hour ago, David Kelly said:

Phillips could, possibly, have the same effect of unifying their support as Allardyce would.  If they are to turn things round quickly they need something like we have had with Rafa where the whole town unites behind the manager because as things stand they are a complete mess and it's an even more miserable place than usual.  We saw that appointing someone like McClaren couldn't change the mood that had developed throughout Pardew's time here.  Phillips is as close as they have to a legend so he might be able to unite them. 

Of course he could be completely hopeless, it's anyone's guess at this stage.

I'm being hugely presumptuous, but I just can't imagine Kevin Phillips being much cop as a manager.

Like Gabbiadini, like Defoe, Phillips couldn't fuck off quick enough after relegation. No chance of Allardyce either unless they've come into some money and doubt he's flavour of the month after fucking off just before the beginning of last season and leaving them in the shite. Rumoured to be close to leaving before England came calling anyway as he knew the cupboard was bare. They'll end up with someone desperate for a job with no expectation of getting a half decent EFL budget.

• Guest locked this topic