Haydnator

A 12 million quid deal (17 mil euro) apparently. Also rumours of Cabella going the other way on loan with option to buy. Seems a bit odd to loan/sell Cabella after one season where he has been played out of position on the wing seeing that he's a no. 10. And this Thauvin, never really heard of him. Dunno what he's like.

I dinnar if anyone here is a polyglot so what he said^ was: 'Florian Thauvin is going to sign for Newcastle. The Cabella loan move to Marseille is not yet official.'

This is just Twitter gossip isn't it?

.com are running with it.

Newcastle are closing in on their fourth significant deal of this transfer window, with strong claims from France that an agreement has been reached with Olympique Marseille to buy winger Florian Thauvin -although the player hasn't yet formally agreed to the move.

A fee of £12m has been claimed for the 22 year-old French U21 international, who was first linked with a move to United since January 2013, when attempts were made to sign no less than six Frenchmen.

Transfers were concluded for five of them, with Mathieu Debuchy (Lille), Yoan Gouffran (Bordeaux), Moussa Sissoko (Toulouse), Massadio Haidara (Nancy) and Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa (Montpellier) all heading to SJP.

However Thauvin proved to be the one that got away, opting to leave Bastia for Lille insteady and be loaned back to the Corsican club for the rest of the season.

After starring for France U20s in that summer's World Cup, a dispute with Lille led to him being sold without playing a competitive game for them and he joined Marseille in September 2013 for a claimed £9m.

Debuting the following month against Nice on the right wing (with Swansea's goalscorer last Saturday, Andre Ayew, on the opposite flank) he's gone on to make 75 league and cup appearances, scoring 14 times.

What is being reported as his final game for Marseille came in a 0-1 loss at Reims on Sunday, after which French TV showed footage of Thauvin in conversation pitchside with club President Vincent Labrune.

OM lost both of their opening league games 0-1 and their manager Marcelo Bielsa walked out last week after having failed to agree a new contract to replace the one year deal that expired in the summer.

It's claimed that as part of the Thauvin deal, midfielder Remy Cabella will head to the Stade Velodrome on a season-long loan deal with a purchase option.

The 25 year-old French international became a Magpie just over a year ago, but made little impact in his first season at the club and missed the whole of pre-season this time round due to a thigh injury requiring surgery.

Off the field though, Cabella's attitude and conduct have been questioned since Alan Pardew's departure and the player's father denied claims by the French media back in June that his son was unhappy on Tyneside and in favour of a move to Marseille.

I've not seen anything of Thauvin but I'm a little bit worried about what I've heard. He doesn't seem to have done well at Marsielle, has been listed as one of the worst players in the league, apparently has a bad attitude and I've seen likened to Cabella who's struggled badly so far. We desperately need a winger because we all know Obertan is shite (admittedly he was probably our best midfielder on Saturday) and Sissoko only plays when he fancy's it, but I'm a bit concerned that we're going for the wrong one here.

French? Check

Talented? Check

Unfulfilled potential? Check

Pouty & entitled? Check

Liable to go on strike? Check

The big unanswered question is his propensity for weight gain when he disappears to France for long periods. After he's asked to play at left back by Schteve.

If he is a winger I don't see how this shores up the middle if that what SM has in mind and has been reported by most papers. Are they moving Sissoko to the middle for Anita?

Why don't they get an athletic proven CB and stick Colo right in the middle as an anchor in the midfield? I would have liked for them to try that years ago.

Edited by LooneyToony

If he is a winger I don't see how this shores up the middle if that what SM has in mind and has been reported by most papers. Are they moving Sissoko to the middle for Anita?

Why don't they get an athletic proven CB and stick Colo right in the middle as an anchor in the midfield? I would have liked for them to try that years ago.

They did try it and it was horseshit.

He only played 1 or 2 games there so thats an unfair critisicm of Colo. Having said that, he doesn't have the legs to play that position now

I quite like Sissoko a bit deeper. He can break forward ell and having an anchor behind him (Colback or Tiote) would work. I dont rate Anita at all. He will get bullied against the better teams. He'd probably be okay in Serie A or La Liga but I think the PL is a step too physical for him.

I can't remember Sissoko ever having a good game for us on the right so I'd rather see the gutless twat in the middle rather than out there. Of course at this rate this would still see Obertan on one flank and we'll never get anywhere with that!

I can't remember Sissoko ever having a good game for us on the right so I'd rather see the gutless twat in the middle rather than out there. Of course at this rate this would still see Obertan on one flank and we'll never get anywhere with that!

Rather a gutless winger than CM though. I wouldn't be bothered if we sold him, he's bit of a one trick pony. Proper fanny in challenges, hasn't got a huge range of passing all he can do is run at you.