Holidays 2024

McFaul

16 minutes ago, NJS said:

The first time I went to Ayia Napa in 86 on a package holiday obviously, when we got on the coach quite early on a Saturday morning to head off for the airport they told us there was a problem with the plane and there'd be a delay of 3 or 4 hours.

They took us to a beach near Larnaca airport with a cafe/restaurant and we got vouchers which were for a reasonable amount (not just the usual one sandwich and one water bottle voucher).

I thought this was all very reasonable but you wouldn't believe how many people went completely batshit with anger about it. Some saying they had to get back to go to work and would lose their jobs and everything. 

Maybe I was naive but it opened my eyes to what a bunch of cunts some bits are abroad and why we're hated. 

I’ve had some lovely holidays in Greece. We’ve always gone for quieter places which are more couples / family sort of resorts. However, rather than arriving home, I find nothing brings you back to earth with a bang than getting to the airport in Rhodes, Crete, Corfu or wherever and the other Brits there on their way home. It’s awful :lol: 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, NJS said:

The first time I went to Ayia Napa in 86 on a package holiday obviously, when we got on the coach quite early on a Saturday morning to head off for the airport they told us there was a problem with the plane and there'd be a delay of 3 or 4 hours.

They took us to a beach near Larnaca airport with a cafe/restaurant and we got vouchers which were for a reasonable amount (not just the usual one sandwich and one water bottle voucher).

I thought this was all very reasonable but you wouldn't believe how many people went completely batshit with anger about it. Some saying they had to get back to go to work and would lose their jobs and everything. 

Maybe I was naive but it opened my eyes to what a bunch of cunts some bits are abroad and why we're hated. 

My first holiday was a realisation or rather a confirmation that significant proportions of this country are cunts. :good:

• Like 2

Being Chambery in the height of the ski season you can imagine it was full of middle class entitled cunts. 'well jasper's tired and needs to sleep on the seats' was something said when a bloke asked if his mother could have a seat for a while 😂 jasper was about 4 and could have easily slept anywhere. 

On the whole people were fine. Frustrated and tired but fine. Just fucking useless at listening to instructions. 

There was a lad at work who was called Jasper. I was talking to another lad at work saying "What sort of a cunt calls their kid Jasper?!" 

A year later he answered my question when his wife gave birth to their first son. :lol:

• Haha 4

18 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

A Google search gave me results for some Irish bar but the article was from 11 year ago :lol: We’re heading over at the same time as Spring Fest and we’ve got all of the breweries earmarked so it’s no great loss if I have to watch the match on my phone while getting pole axed by strong lager 

https://kiliansirishpub.de/tv-sports/

they should be showing the match and are directly in the centre.

Regarding breweries I’d recommend to give the Hofbräuhaus a miss as it is a tourist trap.

Apart from the Augustinerkeller itself you will get the beer from the tap in loads of smaller places (Stüble) all over the place.

My personal recommendation would be to go for Ayinger as they have great beers.

https://www.ayinger-am-platzl.de

We are doing a fortnight in Florida over Halloween this year but I'm tempted to find a cheap week in the sun for the 3 of us over the Summer holidays too. 

Any tips on how to get the best deals? Turn up at the travel agents 24hrs before? Or keep an eye out for cheap flights online now? We normally sort our holidays out ourselves well in advance 

1 hour ago, Isegrim said:

https://kiliansirishpub.de/tv-sports/

they should be showing the match and are directly in the centre.

Regarding breweries I’d recommend to give the Hofbräuhaus a miss as it is a tourist trap.

Apart from the Augustinerkeller itself you will get the beer from the tap in loads of smaller places (Stüble) all over the place.

My personal recommendation would be to go for Ayinger as they have great beers.

https://www.ayinger-am-platzl.de

Fairly sure I watched the Mitrovic derby in that Irish bar when I was there the first time. Got that bottom one bookmarked though, thanks very much 

On 12/03/2023 at 13:35, Kid Dynamite said:

We are doing a fortnight in Florida over Halloween this year but I'm tempted to find a cheap week in the sun for the 3 of us over the Summer holidays too. 

Any tips on how to get the best deals? Turn up at the travel agents 24hrs before? Or keep an eye out for cheap flights online now? We normally sort our holidays out ourselves well in advance 

I heard something about which days are best to buy flights. Worth a google as it can apparently save you a fair amount of money

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

sacked off the mission to the highlands. having a week in Ecclerigg, between Ambleside and Windemere, instead 

Edited by Dr Gloom

40 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

sacked off the mission to the highlands. having a week in Ecclerigg, between Ambleside and Windemere, instead 

:lol:

I hope you didn't pay any deposits.

And while we're on it, I hope you are going to PAY BACK the advice you wasted. 

• Haha 1

How are people feeling about the cost of holidays nowadays? We use packages because they're just easier and have better insurance coverage. But family holidays that used to cost about 3k just 3 years ago are now costing 7k upwards. I'm just talking about 10 days in a decent hotel in Malorca here, its mental. Honestly don't understand how people can afford it nowadays. I hear the prices in the US are also mental when you get there. 

12 minutes ago, Renton said:

:lol:

I hope you didn't pay any deposits.

And while we're on it, I hope you are going to PAY BACK the advice you wasted. 

Nah, booked it last minute but decided the lakes is easier in the amount of time we have. We know it and and can more easily combine a week there with a drive to stay a couple of days at my mother’s more easily than the highlands, which probably needs a two week trip from London to do it justice 

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Nah, booked it last minute but decided the lakes is easier in the amount of time we have. We know it and and can more easily combine a week there with a drive to stay a couple of days at my mother’s more easily than the highlands, which probably needs a two week trip from London to do it justice 

That's the thing, the Lakes always makes sense from a practical persective, especially with kids. Closer, better infrastructure and facilities, less extreme mountains (if you're into walking), better weather, and even much less midges for some reason I've never understood. Which is why I just go there. Scotland is still something else mind, wish I'd done more of it prekids cos my joints won't be up for it when I'm kid free unfortunately.  

27 minutes ago, Renton said:

That's the thing, the Lakes always makes sense from a practical persective, especially with kids. Closer, better infrastructure and facilities, less extreme mountains (if you're into walking), better weather, and even much less midges for some reason I've never understood. Which is why I just go there. Scotland is still something else mind, wish I'd done more of it prekids cos my joints won't be up for it when I'm kid free unfortunately.  

that's the spirit :lol:

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Renton said:

How are people feeling about the cost of holidays nowadays? We use packages because they're just easier and have better insurance coverage. But family holidays that used to cost about 3k just 3 years ago are now costing 7k upwards. I'm just talking about 10 days in a decent hotel in Malorca here, its mental. Honestly don't understand how people can afford it nowadays. I hear the prices in the US are also mental when you get there. 

Mental init.  We are lucky in terms of our skiing / boarding as it's a friends appartment so we get it dirt cheap.   The hotel I stay at in Belgium we have stayed there so many times the owners let us have a decent discount so we didn't do too bad there.  We are off to the Lakes on Thursday until Sunday and it's a place we have stayed at 4 times before and again we have managed to get a deal there. 

We are off to Santa Eulalia in June and the hotel we stayed at last time (which was 4 years ago) was £2k for half board.  That's £5k now!  We tried looking elsewhere but it's all similar.

The lads are off to the Pyrenees in July to watch the Tour.  I looked into it and the cost and faff is too much.  For a week, it's flights to Bordeaux £400.  Transfer £100 each (plus 3h transfer).  So that's £500 on getting there then its another £700 for digs for the week.  Then scran etc on top.  Would be mint to cycle there, but I'll go when the Tour isn't on and the cost should be a fraction. 

Our friends with two kids are off to Disneyland Orlando and its cost them £12k!!! FUCKING TWELVE BASTARD GRAND  That's before spending money!  

• Like 2

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024