Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

wtf have we become? 

Patel, home secretary in the government awash with filthy Russian loot, bans refugees from a war waged by the tyrants who bought the tory party. Makes you proud to be British  🇬🇧 🤮

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Renton said:

Nevertheless, there will be thousands of body bags heading back to Russia, for what? No sane Russian wants to attack Ukraine. I could see a possible uprising there at some point. 

Bodybags, don’t be daft, that gives bad optics at home. The Russian army has mobile crematoriums following their troops to remove the evidence of their dead. 

Edited by Toonpack
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Renton said:

This is the thing with the EU, every country has their own needs so blanket sanctions are hard to agree. On the other hand, without any co-ordination between the 27 countries I suspect things would be much worse.  

Yep. NATO is fundamentally useless.

What a mental couple of days. Feel horrible for the Ukranians. Was watching a WWII documentary a few days ago and thinking thank bloody heavens we seem to be over this sort of thing. Not that the countless proxy wars don't cause enough misery. 

The ease with which Russia seems to have gotten to Kyiv is unsettling too, It's not like Ukraine is really tiny, although I do realize its too early to really determine who's planning what. This is also probably going to cause smaller countries with larger, angrier neighbors to step up military spending and just make the world a more dangerous place overall even if you ignore the current war.  I think Putin's just pushed the world back to 1945, the freaking lunatic. Hasn't he been taking notice of the sneaky underhanded regime change moves the US has been pulling off for decades? At least there's less chance of half the world getting involved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems somewhat antiquated that a belligerent tyrant can still simply send his own citizens to die for the sake of their own ambition.

You have to feel for the combatants on both sides as well as the civilians. None of these people are well represented by their respective leaders — Putin being quite clearly worse, of course. And, yet, in they go in some ill-fated attempt to uphold, what, “nation”, “culture”, some dream of an expanded Russian state apeing a long-dead vision of Soviet empire that was never even remotely close to resembling what it was cracked-up to be by those involved. It sucks.

For our side of the world, I hope the West stay out of it as much as possible while ensuring that Ukraine maintain their sovereignty and protect their people. It may seem callous but you’d have to imagine that anti-Putin sentiment in Russia mobilised to proper action by a protracted and difficult military campaign is the shortest and safest (and perhaps only) route to bringing some potential for stability to the region in the long-term.

I haven’t followed this situation overly closely throughout the years though so I dunno. It’s just miserable for everyone involved against their will and against their best interests.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aimaad22 said:

What a mental couple of days. Feel horrible for the Ukranians. Was watching a WWII documentary a few days ago and thinking thank bloody heavens we seem to be over this sort of thing. Not that the countless proxy wars don't cause enough misery. 

The ease with which Russia seems to have gotten to Kyiv is unsettling too, It's not like Ukraine is really tiny.

Ukraine is pretty flat and is great tank country, (the biggest WW2 tank battles happened there) Russia has massive armour advantage, so they’ll move fast. But getting to Kyiv is one thing, taking it is a whole different kettle of fish. 

For WW2 parallel, see German rapid advances and then Stalingrad.

Tankers hate urban settings/cities because they lose their speed and ability to manoeuvre. It is a permanent and major advantage to the defenders. You need infantry and huge numbers of them.

A major fight in Kyiv will be horrific and massively costly.

• Like 1