Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

6 hours ago, Renton said:

:lol:

You asked "Is NATO effective?" which I assumed was a rhetorical question implying it isn't. Otherwise its a question a 5 year old wouldn't need to ask.

Toonpack has answered your question about troops. NATO is an alliance, it's not hard to grasp.

It is a question that is yet to be determined you shit farter. The alliance is reliant on America. America will not go all in in Europe. China is the adversary that they view as a threat to their own dominance. Not Russia.

In the advent of war within NATO territory I am still yet to be convinced who will supply troops that can defend and repel 150,000 enemy. 

5 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

That's genuinely what we've called them* in this house ever since Eurovision 2005 when one of the hosts made a big point of pronouncing it "Kyyyy-yyyyiiiiiiiv" every time he said it, like he was a boxing announcer or something. :D  

(* not the "darling" part, I should add)

😁

Btw, was 2005 still Wogan era or was it Graham Norton by then?

34 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

😁

Btw, was 2005 still Wogan era or was it Graham Norton by then?

Still Wogan. 2009 is Norton's first, in Moscow funnily enough. Maybe Wogan knocked it on the head out of concern that he'd have to be on the vodka in the commentary box all night instead of his preferred Baileys, bless his boozy cotton socks.

• Like 1

I have to say that Germany‘s indecisive approach is pathetic. We are very much to blame for not voicing our opposition to Russia‘s way to become the most prominent modern fascist state in the past as well. Other nations and especially Ukraine have every right to be critical.

Not just NorthStream 2 but especially our former chancellor still banging the Russian drum and refusing to step down from his jobs at Russian state owned companies is simply pathetic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken said:

It is a question that is yet to be determined you shit farter. The alliance is reliant on America. America will not go all in in Europe. China is the adversary that they view as a threat to their own dominance. Not Russia.

In the advent of war within NATO territory I am still yet to be convinced who will supply troops that can defend and repel 150,000 enemy. 

Shit farter? :lol: Did you think that up on the thunderbox whilst blasting out last night's Shiraz, by any chance?

NATO is a North Atlantic group, obviously. Whilst the US has Pacific concerns,.it's a not that stupid to think that Europe is not also an important issue, especially after this week. It should be the biggest concern for every country in the world, even yours 

Europe has a huge population, with literally millions of soldiers (3.2 million in NATO, mostly European). UK has more than 150k troops alone. There are UK soldiers in  all the Eastern member States currently. We wouldn't need US boots on the ground, although they would supply overwhelming air defence and intelligence. Russia are no conventional threat to us at all. China aren't a really a conventional threat to the US either. But nuclear weapons change things. 

I still don't really get what your point is. You admit NATO has been effective to until now, but are speculating about its failing in the future? Why? What are you getting at? 

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

Still Wogan. 2009 is Norton's first, in Moscow funnily enough. Maybe Wogan knocked it on the head out of concern that he'd have to be on the vodka in the commentary box all night instead of his preferred Baileys, bless his boozy cotton socks.

I must admit other than a few random Eurovision parties my interest slowly waned after our 1981 heyday🕺🏼💃🏼💃🏻🕺🏼but if I ever did catch it Wogan was phenomenal at getting the right balance of reverence and irreverence. Although you couldn’t ask for a better replacement (if that’s the right word) than GN.

32 minutes ago, Renton said:

Shit farter? :lol: Did you think that up on the thunderbox whilst blasting out last night's Shiraz, by any chance?

NATO is a North Atlantic group, obviously. Whilst the US has Pacific concerns,.it's a not that stupid to think that Europe is not also an important issue, especially after this week. It should be the biggest concern for every country in the world, even yours 

Europe has a huge population, with literally millions of soldiers (3.2 million in NATO, mostly European). UK has more than 150k troops alone. There are UK soldiers in  all the Eastern member States currently. We wouldn't need US boots on the ground, although they would supply overwhelming air defence and intelligence. Russia are no conventional threat to us at all. China aren't a really a conventional threat to the US either. But nuclear weapons change things. 

I still don't really get what your point is. You admit NATO has been effective to until now, but are speculating about its failing in the future? Why? What are you getting at? 

Err no. You have mentioned previously that sometimes you cannot control your bowels due to an ailment hence the term shit farter.

Of course I agree Europe is an important issue and the reason for NATO's formation was largely because of the threat of Russia. I am not oblivious to this.

NATO are superior by way of technological warfare be it precision bombs, and missiles guided in via GPS . Russia has troops and tanks though. That's my concern here.

You are completely ignorant on the China threat. You have no idea about that all.

My concern with NATO  is troops on the ground. Yes they have superiority with weapons systems but battalion to battalion engagement - can NATO deal with that scenario 

1 hour ago, Ken said:

Err no. You have mentioned previously that sometimes you cannot control your bowels due to an ailment hence the term shit farter.

Of course I agree Europe is an important issue and the reason for NATO's formation was largely because of the threat of Russia. I am not oblivious to this.

NATO are superior by way of technological warfare be it precision bombs, and missiles guided in via GPS . Russia has troops and tanks though. That's my concern here.

You are completely ignorant on the China threat. You have no idea about that all.

My concern with NATO  is troops on the ground. Yes they have superiority with weapons systems but battalion to battalion engagement - can NATO deal with that scenario 

NATO's defensive mate. Like Ukraine, feet are already on the ground. I'm most worried about nuclear war. You worry about China, but I'm sure you'll be okay.

Ursula von der Leyen         @vonderleyen
First, we commit to ensuring that a certain number of Russian banks are removed from SWIFT. It will stop them from operating worldwide and effectively block Russian exports and imports.

Ursula von der Leyen           @vonderleyen
Second, we will paralyse the assets of Russia’s central bank.   This will freeze its transactions.   And it will make it impossible for the Central Bank to liquidate its assets.

7 hours ago, Renton said:

NATO's defensive mate. Like Ukraine, feet are already on the ground. I'm most worried about nuclear war. You worry about China, but I'm sure you'll be okay.

Ukrainians are showing themselves to be strong. Putin would've thought this was going to be quick campaign.

Putin is a madman but using nuclear weapons would ensure his country would be obliterated, so I think you are fine.

We will agree to disagree on China. They are a menace and a threat to world order and rule of law. They are challenging it. While nations are imposing sanctions on Russia, China are lifting theirs and importing wheat. They are in each other's pockets wanting to change the status quo.

Edited by Ken

There was a time I'd have thought it was just posturing, but I think that particular vision of Putin's mental state hasn't survived this invasion.

Who the fuck knows what he's thinking at this point.