The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread 2018 -2019

Anorthernsoul

24 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Why?

Purely because Benitez would be able to replace him for a fraction of that/turn somebody else mint and improve the rest of the team. We need to spend a lot of money on forwards. As much as possible 

31 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Why?

So he can wank over pixellated photos of fat mike blowing the cash snorting ketamine off hooker's flaps in The Sun On Sunday.

Edited by Anorthernsoul
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Purely because Benitez would be able to replace him for a fraction of that/turn somebody else mint and improve the rest of the team. We need to spend a lot of money on forwards. As much as possible 

33 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

So he can wank over pixellated photos of fat mike blowing the cash snorting ketamine off hooker's flaps in The Sun On Sunday.

Yere are two scenarios offered for what would happen with “the lascelles money” 

ANS’ is far more likely.

Any fan saying we should sell any of our good performers so we can reinvest the money is a fool. We’d see perhaps a quarter of it spent and would be worse off, especially if lascelles went, his ability is one thing but his leadership is a different thing to replace entirely and we’re yet to see him reach his peak as a player imo

18 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Yere are two scenarios offered for what would happen with “the lascelles money” 

ANS’ is far more likely.

Any fan saying we should sell any of our good performers so we can reinvest the money is a fool. We’d see perhaps a quarter of it spent and would be worse off, especially if lascelles went, his ability is one thing but his leadership is a different thing to replace entirely and we’re yet to see him reach his peak as a player imo

He looks better than his raw ability when playing in a Benitez system. £45m is too much to turn down for him and Benitez could find another leader. I think Benitez would sell him for that as well if he had guarantees of reinvesting it

8 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

£45m is too much to turn down for him and Benitez could find another leader. I think Benitez would sell him for that as well if he had guarantees of reinvesting it

Bullshit. What did Liverpool pay for that average defender last season, £70m, that makes Lascelles worth well over £45m.

I’m with Gloomy on this issue. Replacing Lascelles with someone of similar quality and with the same leadership ability/club impact would be difficult. Not least cos he’s English, a good character and well settled at the club. Then theres the issue of who we can realistically attract, regardless of what money is made available to be rreinvest in new players.

Im sure Benitez would be happy to sell - he said as much recently - if it was for big big money that he got to spend. Thats probably more like sammynb big money than 30 mill though.

I think there’ll be a lot of speculation like this, given his obvious talent. I’m not going to shit the bed about it, all our players are permanently for sale under this regime

Liverpool paid 75m for Van Dijk, let's start at that price before we even come to the table. 

But to be honest I wouldn't sell him at any price. Lascelles embodies the new NUFC under Benitez and he's only going to get better. A player like him is probably worth 10-12 points over the course of the season alone. 

11 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

He looks better than his raw ability when playing in a Benitez system. £45m is too much to turn down for him and Benitez could find another leader. I think Benitez would sell him for that as well if he had guarantees of reinvesting it

Me too but they'd have to be iron clad.

He won't though will he? He had public promises of money all through last summer and got fuck all, why would guarantees be any different now. 

Yeah but according to Charnley when we go to sign his replacement there's wages, agents fees and other hidden costs involved.

Basically we end up with Richard Dunne.

• Like 1

In a worrying update from the Chronicle’s Mark Douglas, it’s been revealed today that Mike Ashley is demanding that Rafa Benitez signs a new long-term contract before he’ll hand him money to spend this summer – leading to a stand off between the two parties.

In short, Ashley won’t back Rafa until he agrees to a new deal, but Benitez won’t entertain any new contract until Ashley proves he’ll show ambition this summer.

This really is frustrating. Given their previous failings and the broken promises Benitez has been dealt, it’s to be expected that Rafa wants to see proof of their intentions and ambitions before agreeing to any new deal.

It sounds like Ashley is being awkward and unreasonable once again, however, leading to a stand off between the two parties.

Edited by trooper

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Ashley's approach makes absolutely no sense.

It makes sense if he's not willing to spend much and isn't that arsed about Benitez staying in the long term. Actually that doens't make sense but Ashley's mindset rarely does

1 minute ago, Alex said:

It makes sense if he's not willing to spend much and isn't that arsed about Benitez staying in the long term. Actually that doens't make sense but Ashley's mindset rarely does

It is consistent in trying to shift responsibilities. It isn’t different to his handling of attempting club sales and his handling of negotiations with previous popular managers (Keegan and Shearer) when they demand sensible things he doesn’t want to accept.

2 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

It is consistent in trying to shift responsibilities. It isn’t different to his handling of attempting club sales and his handling of negotiations with previous popular managers (Keegan and Shearer) when they demand sensible things he doesn’t want to accept.

Yeah, that's what I meant really. He probably knows Benitez won't stay beyond his current contract because he isn't prepared to give him enough funds (I doubt Benitez is being unreasonable, he just realises the squad needs strengthening) but he wants to try and make it look like it's Benitez's fault for not signing the long-term deal first. It's amazing if so and Ashley actually thinks anyone buys that though.