Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

“Well you know, I’m delighted to find that packet of Cheesy Wotsits I lost down the back of my dressing room seat, after all these years.

Also I would like to thank the Ruby Brothers and Amanda Shelvey for assisting me in being free for the delightful opportunity to manage the club I supported as a lad, they are very nice people. But you know, I am disappointed that I will lose the 8 million I deserved for the safe management of the other club that I, erm, supported as a lad.”  

• Haha 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59406087

The Premier League's owners' and directors' test has come under scrutiny recently following the Saudi Arabian-backed takeover of Newcastle.

Amnesty International has urged the league to change the test to address human rights issues, with the Saudi state accused of human rights abuses.

The Premier League said it has "legally-binding assurances" the Saudi state has no direct control over Newcastle, despite the Public Investment Fund (PIF), which has an 80% stake, being chaired by Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman. Western intelligence agencies believe the crown prince approved the 2018 murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, which he denies.

The review did not state whether human rights issues would be considered in the new proposed tests but did say owners and directors must be of "good character" to pass.

Crouch said she did not know if the new tests would have blocked the Newcastle takeover but added they would have ensured "greater transparency".

Small portion of that article.

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

If anything, greater transparency would have been more likely to result in the takeover going through - less straightforward to hide the cartel driven bullshit that was preventing it.

Agreed

44 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

Large, immobile, impression of a warrior, who's quality is lost to history or mythology?

• Haha 2

The city centre, area, region, etc is in need of investment. If the Saudis and the Reuben brothers pour a lot of money into the area it’ll be a welcome consequence of the takeover. I’m less than comfortable with the sources but the actual Tory government have already shown they have fuck all intention of making good on their promises of rewarding the ‘red wall’ constituencies that switched to them and their levelling up agenda is just a sound bite. 

45 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Rangnick in as interim at Man United. 

Outrageous that mind, when they had a former captain, with years of experience as a manager, ready and waiting. 

They’ll regret not bringing home the bacon. 

• Haha 4