Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

Which is what Howard Webb more or less said.  TBF I thought Webb was quite good.

Webb is articulate and has good media presence. I listened to Mike Dean's interview with Simon Jordan last week and it was interesting to hear the amount of pressure these refs are under. They get it wrong and theyre off games. 

• Like 2

Don't they just demote them to the Championship instead?

"You got it wrong Dave."

"Howard, please."

"Dave, there's nothing I can do."

"Howard, I've got a family!? Please Howard, don't-"

"You're going to Sunderland, Dave."

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Chaser said:

Webb is articulate and has good media presence. I listened to Mike Dean's interview with Simon Jordan last week and it was interesting to hear the amount of pressure these refs are under. They get it wrong and theyre off games. 

You can hear the ref there shouting at players etc, it's mental and they should have brought this in sooner to have them mic'd up.

3 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Don’t the egg chasers call the ref “Sir”? 

Fuck that public-schoolboy shit with a rusty stick. :lol:

I tell this story when anyone ever suggests to me that rugby isn't a middle class (at least) posh shit fest (and I know league is a bit different before Wykiki says owt).

I used to play five a side with a lad who was also a good rugby player and he was good enough to play for Westoe who were/are the biggest club in Shields though I'm not sure how high they are in the scheme of things. 

Anyway he played for the third or fourth team and told me if he bumped into anyone in the first team even if it was in the bar he was expected to call them "Sir". Obviously he considered the pleasure he got from playing worth it but I told him it was abhorrent as far as I was concerned. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Aye, there’s showing respect and then there’s just blatant forelock tugging. 

Mate of mine played on the junior squad for Northern, and when they got bummed off the senior squad they were expected to thank them and wipe the senior’s knob with their jersey.*

* one part of this is true. 

• Haha 3

I think the refs get a hard deal a lot of the time. They must get 99% decisions correct at this level and they are bound to miss or misjudge the odd decision.  Even the players fuck up. How many chances does a striker miss per season for example?

VAR needs to be binned off. Even the VAR officials get it wrong after looking at it for 5 minutes. Plus It has taken the enjoyment out of scoring a goal, as I tend to hold back now just in case it’s ruled out cos a players pube is offside. And then that’s subjective as well with these dodgy offside lines.

The only benefit I can see is that it’s stopped a lot of diving.  

Keep goal line technology and bin VAR off. 

• Like 1

Just now, Holden McGroin said:

Plus It has taken the enjoyment out of scoring a goal, as I tend to hold back now just in case it’s ruled out cos a players pube is offside

Aye- it’s a no win situation though. 

Because of instant TV replays, mistakes are/were highlighted and analysed to the point of ridiculousness, but the way they’re using VAR is sucking the last bit of fun left out of the game.  

I’ve no idea what the answer is btw. 

40 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Wall to wall senior code for the next 6 weeks. Good to have a game that’s not just played in just 4 counties across the entire fuckin planet :cuppa:

Love test Union.  But the league game, nah.

My gaffer used to play and at a decent level too, both codes.  He hates Wigan and Dave Whelan so all good :lol: 

• Haha 1