Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

15 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

I think the refs get a hard deal a lot of the time. They must get 99% decisions correct at this level and they are bound to miss or misjudge the odd decision.  Even the players fuck up. How many chances does a striker miss per season for example?

VAR needs to be binned off. Even the VAR officials get it wrong after looking at it for 5 minutes. Plus It has taken the enjoyment out of scoring a goal, as I tend to hold back now just in case it’s ruled out cos a players pube is offside. And then that’s subjective as well with these dodgy offside lines.

The only benefit I can see is that it’s stopped a lot of diving.  

Keep goal line technology and bin VAR off. 

As a city fan can i just add that pretty much all city fans seem to agree that we expected Ake's goal to be offside. Our good luck came in a game I think we would have won anyway.  Our bad luck, Rashfords offside against us last season came in a difficult game. That's not evened itself out in my blue tinted eyes.

I like VAR as it's better than the olden days, but i'd prefer it if it could be fully automated.

No biased VAR dudes hidden away, listening to a supposed agenda.

And any contentious decisions raised by the fully automated VAR dealt with by the referee and the monitor.

As a software developer I would be happy to help develop this fully automated VAR system 😏

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

Our bet spend absolutely inflated to fuck after last few transfer windows. 

That, and the previous transfer windows when we either bought dross with no sell-on value or gave new long-term contracts to wasters who we can't sell.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

That, and the previous transfer windows when we either bought dross with no sell-on value or gave new long-term contracts to wasters who we can't sell.

Aye, we can't even shift our half decent deadwood due to their over inflated wages. Hayden, Lewis, Hendrick and Fraser will all go on loan deals (probably subsidised by NUFC) until their contracts expire and get free transfers.

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

Aye, we can't even shift our half decent deadwood due to their over inflated wages. Hayden, Lewis, Hendrick and Fraser will all go on loan deals (probably subsidised by NUFC) until their contracts expire and get free transfers.

That's just a phase. We went through it when we bought players in over market value on high salaries then couldn't unload as we improved. Rocky Santa Cruz, Jo, it was a long list.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LondonBlue said:

That's just a phase. We went through it when we bought players in over market value on high salaries then couldn't unload as we improved. Rocky Santa Cruz, Jo, it was a long list.

One of the good things about the transfers we've done so far, there are very few who I'd put in that bracket. Target, Burn, maybe? Even then Burn's wages aren't crippling and he's one of those players who'd 'do a job' for a lot of teams in the Premier League after a couple of years. Target's reported wages are eyebrow raising (£100k), and so we may find him harder to shift. But the rest of the deals seem like good business. Our issue is getting shot of legacy players like Hendrick.

48 minutes ago, The Fish said:

One of the good things about the transfers we've done so far, there are very few who I'd put in that bracket. Target, Burn, maybe? Even then Burn's wages aren't crippling and he's one of those players who'd 'do a job' for a lot of teams in the Premier League after a couple of years. Target's reported wages are eyebrow raising (£100k), and so we may find him harder to shift. But the rest of the deals seem like good business. Our issue is getting shot of legacy players like Hendrick.

As much as we bought Dan Burn as a CB, it seems clear to me that he's better suited to LB in our team. He's still got limitations at LB, but any mistakes are harder to punish from a wide position. His lack of pace and poor positional sense made him a liability at CB against Brighton. 

I know that no transfer window is perfect, but I'm starting to wonder whether the £60mil we spent on Hall and Livramento may have been misspent. They feel like signings for the next 2-3 seasons, which is fine if you are Man City and have a superstar in every position. But when you are NUFC and have Burn as LB, Almiron at RW and Lascelles as 3rd choice CB, we maybe should have focused on buying players who can immediately consolidate the starting XI. 

2 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

As much as we bought Dan Burn as a CB, it seems clear to me that he's better suited to LB in our team. He's still got limitations at LB, but any mistakes are harder to punish from a wide position. His lack of pace and poor positional sense made him a liability at CB against Brighton. 

I know that no transfer window is perfect, but I'm starting to wonder whether the £60mil we spent on Hall and Livramento may have been misspent. They feel like signings for the next 2-3 seasons, which is fine if you are Man City and have a superstar in every position. But when you are NUFC and have Burn as LB, Almiron at RW and Lascelles as 3rd choice CB, we maybe should have focused on buying players who can immediately consolidate the starting XI. 

i expect hall to be our first choice left back before christmas. he'll bring some much-needed pace to our back line and some attacking threat to our left side. burn was great when he first arrived and did a job at left back last season but he isn't a champions league defender. 

i agree about livramento. he's obviously a good player and i'm sure he's been brought in as tripper's eventual replacement, but we already had ashby and krafth playing understudy to tripper, even murphy or manquillo at a push if we were really struggling with injuries. 

a RCB, a natural DM, or a RW that improve our first team would seem like more logical signings. 

but i think it was just a case of buying who was on their list that became available rather than improving the areas of the squad that maybe needed reinforcements more urgently. they'd rather do that and continue to build slowly than panic buy players they don't really want to fill positions where we're weak.

we qualified for the champions league a season or two ahead of schedule. we haven't really had enough windows since the takeover to assemble the sort of squad we need to fight on all fronts. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

All we've heard is that this is a long term project, so it makes sense to sign two young players with high ceilings when they're available. We've also signed up a highly rated 16yr old fullback from Wolves, and Ashby from West Ham. 

Said it before but, we're 2-3yrs ahead of schedule so a top half finish this season (which I think is eminently doable with the current squad) will form the foundation for those young players to break through, maybe add some more players in January too?

I'm zen.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I don't know if the we've learned more from the swiftness of Fish's detective work or the stupidity of ewerk "doubting" Fish's knowledge of numbers.

I agree with you to an extent but Burn hasn't played at CB for over a year so could have done with some adjustment time. He was stinking though. Along with Targett (who again can blame that on rustiness). But being realistic we need an upgrade on both if we intend to be champions league regulars.

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i expect hall to be our first choice left back before christmas. he'll bring some much-needed pace to our back line and some attacking threat to our left side. burn was great when he first arrived and did a job at left back last season but he isn't a champions league defender. 

i agree about livramento. he's obviously a good player and i'm sure he's been brought in as tripper's eventual replacement, but we already had ashby and krafth playing understudy to tripper, even murphy or manquillo at a push if we were really struggling with injuries. 

a RCB, a natural DM, or a RW that improve our first team would seem like more logical signings. 

but i think it was just a case of buying who was on their list that became available rather than improving the areas of the squad that maybe needed reinforcements more urgently. they'd rather do that and continue to build slowly than panic buy players they don't really want to fill positions where we're weak.

we qualified for the champions league a season or two ahead of schedule. we haven't really had enough windows since the takeover to assemble the sort of squad we need to fight on all fronts. 

Hall has played 12 senior games in his career. I think we need to temper our expectations of how quickly he is going to be a first team regular 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Hall has played 12 senior games in his career. I think we need to temper our expectations of how quickly he is going to be a first team regular 

he was chelse's best player against us home and away last season. i can see him becoming a regular starter for us. as the old adage goes, if you're good enough...

• Like 2

livramento on the other hand is going to find it tough to start loads of games ahead of tripper, though he'll be a better option than ashby or krafth when the build up of fixtures mean we need to rotate. still wonder if the £30m we gave southampton might have been better invested elsewhere 

14 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

I agree with you to an extent but Burn hasn't played at CB for over a year so could have done with some adjustment time. He was stinking though. Along with Targett (who again can blame that on rustiness). But being realistic we need an upgrade on both if we intend to be champions league regulars.

See this is where I think a lot of criticisms stem from. Just because we're in the CL this season there's a stack of people who think that we're already there. We're a long way away from that being a genuine concern, aren't we? Look at how congested the field is; ARS, CHE, LIV, MCI, MNU, TOT, and Newcastle. Plus challengers like Aston Villa and Brighton. That's 9 teams gunning for 5 spots. To establish ourselves as Champions League regular we'd have to not only oust one of Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City and Man Utd, but keep the rest at bay too. We simply don't have the depth or quality to do that regularly, yet.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

he was chelse's best player against us home and away last season. i can see him becoming a regular starter for us. as the old adage goes, if you're good enough...

I also think that because he can cover in the midfield he'll get minutes here and there before establishing himself as first choice. 

What is everyones expectations though? There we obviously players that played out of their skin last year that most likely won't hit the same heights. Add to that we had very few injuries (compared to a classic NUFC season) and fewer games. 

Id be over the moon with 5th but suspect it will be end up being more 6-9th territory. 

Not sure the social media fanbase would accept that but hoping the match day fans will.

• Like 2