Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Watched the new Indiana Jones last night on Sky - I really wanted this to be one of those "surely the critics must be wrong" things but it wasn't - it got worse as it went on.

I would still kill for 5 minutes with Karen Allen though.

• 2 weeks later...
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Canny good. My bony arse was in agony by the end, but Jim Broadbent is dead funny...quite a few more laughs in this one than normal. Definitley better than the last two. The bit under water was gorgeous, and the bit where Harry and Dumbledore were stood on that rock in the sea...actually there was loads of great images.

Snape's blatantly still a goody like. You can see Dumbledore gave him the same speech as Harry about doing what he didn't want to. They're all making the sacrifices Harry's mam made and that Jim Broadbent wasn't going to until Harry guilt tripped him.

Ok for the non readers amongst us. Snape is a good guy and everything he does is driven by his love of Lily Potter. Everything turns out alright except for one of the weasley twins (cant remember which) and Remus Lupin and Nymphadora tonks they all die. As does Voldemort when Harry destroys all of the horcruxes (with a little help). Cue fast forward epilogue and Harry is married to Ginny Weasley, Ron is married to Hermione and Neville is professor of herbology at hogwarts.

Edited by Kevin Carr's Gloves

GI Joe. I wasnt expecting anything flash, maybe a transformers-esque 2 hours of fun. But it wasnt even that good. You can tell its aimed firmly at kids and having one of the Wayans brothers in a semi serious role just didnt work. Sienna Miller was one of its only saving graces

The Hurt Locker

Credit to DJ_Nufc on N-O who firstly brought this film to my attention and who wrote the below. His review could give far more justice to the film than mine could.

hurt-locker-1.jpg

Absolutely essential viewing.

If you are the type of film viewer who wishes to feel, make sure you see this film before you explode. Quite frankly, a more pulsating, engaging, dramatic, there's-a-fly-in-his-face film has not been made in many-a decade. This is a war movie where the subject is war. Not its politics, not partisanship or deeply intellectual messages embedded in between frames. This is the real deal. You start the film from the point of view of a robot on a mission to diffuse a roadside bomb in Iraq. You see its shortcomings, and the need for human intervention. So you cut to the POV of a soldier from inside his humvee, and after that you approach the thus-far dormant bomb through the claustrophic space behind a bomb diffuser's helmet. It's sweaty in here, all sound distorted, and your eyes are fixed ahead on the most important plastic bag you've encountered in your life. You have constant radio contact with your EOD commander who talks to you as you get closer. You realise the only persons standing still in the area are your team at a safe distance behind you, and suspect civilians who for some reason are as professionally calm as you. As you get closer to the bomb, one of them pulls out his cellphone.

That is the beginning of this cinematic equivalent of a cocaine-fuelled journey through the eyes of a bomb-diffusing unit (EOD) and the mindscape of the lead diffuser. The team knows each mission it is called for may be their last, their lives eternally lived on the brink. These guys are different from infantry. They need to be inflicted with a specific variety of madness to do their job. Eventually, the riskier and crazier you are, the better the chances of survival.

hurtlocker.jpg

The film is not a traditional blockbuster action movie. These soldiers will not transform. They will, however, break down, show weakness, fall prey to their desire for misguided heroism and learn things the hard, hard way. It is quite tough to believe this is an independent film as it deserves all the attention of a nailbiting caper from Hollywood. However, it was kicking around the internet and festivals, winning a chockful of awards in the latter, for over a year before it was picked up by Summit Entertainment for distribution. Release has been limited in North America, so wherever you may be in the world, if this comes to a theatre near you, do go support it.

It isn't the best war film. It's far from a cinematic masterpiece. But for what it is, it is bloody fantastic, cinema at its most effective, the medium utilised to make us feel the reality of war, of a futile, putrid existence of modern man and what conflict means to men we send to die. Such is the focus of the film, the preceding lines are more preachy than any frame in the entire film.

The acting from the three men we're privy to is accessible and realistic.

Quite simply, watch this and let it consume you.

Couldn't recommend this any higher. If you have the chance to watch this don't miss out on it.

Saw Tropic Thunder... and if i'm honest I was a little dissapointed.

It looks like it should have been funnier than it actually was.

A little? I've only watched it to the point where Steve Coogan thinks the bloke who's been blown up isn't real. It's so shit!

Hurt Locker

I think I must have seen a rough edit from before they added the plot, dialogue, suspense or tension.

Amazed they could make such a tedious movie about such a potentially riveting subject.

2hrs 5mins of my life I'll never get back.

Hurt Locker

I think I must have seen a rough edit from before they added the plot, dialogue, suspense or tension.

Amazed they could make such a tedious movie about such a potentially riveting subject.

You don't even like The Wire so shaddap man. :icon_lol:

Hurt Locker

You don't even like The Wire so shaddap man. :icon_lol:

:icon_lol:

20061114_sheep.jpg

Of Time and The City

Terence Davies' tribute to Liverpool mostly consisting of archive footage and a voiceover that's up there with John Hurt in Dogville as one of the best ever. Funded partially as it was by the Liverpool capital of culture fund, it's fantastically derisive of scouse 'culture' (The Beatles take a pasting) and celebrates only the spirit of the working class of the city...which died out in the 70s to be left by scallies he no longer recognises.

Loved it.

Inglorious Basterds

loved it, a bit too much typical Tarantino small-talk dialogue, and the majority of the movie is in French and German language but even so it is fanastic, and Hans Landa is a fantasic villan.