Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

4.2 is a particularly precise rating. What did it do to avoid being rounded down to a 4?

You only just met Parky? ;)

Alien Covenant.

If we stick to the Alien franchise, however loosely this film does (more of this later) it is in competition with Alien Resurrection as the worst film in the cannon (we're not counting the AVP films which are shit).

IMO it's even worse than Prometheus. Prometheus might have been boring, over lit and by the numbers action scenes but AC is just boring. It's reign of tedium is super glued on with the endless prattling 'David' in the form of cod philosophy, tiresome biblical and classical quips and repetitive muttering about his creator and this and that. If only he would shut the fuck up! You can see why the film is so unbalanced because he steals so much airtime it literally leaves no space for any development of the other 2D disposable characters. I can't even remember who they were, their names or what they were meant to be doing apart from dying in the most stupid ways imaginable. The planet looked totally safe apparently. :lol: Let's go down there and do dumb ass shit and get killed.

Ripley Scott (yeah it's just his name with the d turned upside down) must be just making loads of money to knock this garbage out and and not only defile one of the most iconic franchises of all time but defile its backstory. 'The Alien' now has the most ridiculous back story that in one swift slash has removed all its menace, mystery and darkness. The backstory given to it in this film is absolute whimsy. Scott said they changed direction on how the aliens came about...More like they couldn't be bothered to cook up a proper Alien universe. If the Alien had a dark unfathomable agenda which made it scary and sexy all that is gone now.

The CGI is worse than the special affects of Aliens. Like a low budget video game rendition  which they tried to hide with fast cutting. The various creatures look awful, skipping and prancing like they do. They also gestate really quickly - just a few mins. That alone is ludicrous. Scott didn't have time to worry about shit like that cause he was busy stitching two different genres together - half Prometheus half Alien. Hence the tonal balance of the film is all over the place. Goes from thoughtful doings in space to slasher movie tropes in the blink of an eye.

This is one awful film. I can't be arsed to write any more about it. Perhaps the script should have been written by someone else and not the idiot who wrote Green Lantern and Heroes.

If you want thoughtful sci-fi watch Ex-Machina, if you want an excellent genre mixing comic book-sci fi/Western watch Logan...If you want comedy and irreverence watch GOG2...If you want to get arse raped by an 80yr old watch Alien Incontinence.

Edited by Park Life

King Arthur legend of the sword.. Some nice ideas and fabby cgi ruined by just about the worst script in the history of cinema, fuck all for Hunnan to act against with that parcel of shit. Jude Law does OK as the evil King, he does good evil.

A mate at work loaned me Into the Wild, which completely passed me by at the cinema. Great turn by Emile Hirsch as a college kid who turns his back on society, part road trip, part back to nature type thing, good cameos from Hurt,Keener and Vaughn. 

10 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

King Arthur legend of the sword.. Some nice ideas and fabby cgi ruined by just about the worst script in the history of cinema, fuck all for Hunnan to act against with that parcel of shit. Jude Law does OK as the evil King, he does good evil.

A mate at work loaned me Into the Wild, which completely passed me by at the cinema. Great turn by Emile Hirsch as a college kid who turns his back on society, part road trip, part back to nature type thing, good cameos from Hurt,Keener and Vaughn. 

Hunnan couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. He's been shit in everything I've seen him in, but yes, he wasn't exactly helped by a script that stunk up the place.

44 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Into the wild was a bit savage. Wasn't it based on a true story too? The scene with the moose :(

I haven't seen it but I know the story, i.e. it's that Alex Supertramp / Christopher McCandless lad isn't? I've never understood hero worship though; it just seems like he was a bit of a reckless idiot.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Hunnan couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. He's been shit in everything I've seen him in, but yes, he wasn't exactly helped by a script that stunk up the place.

Its the only thing I've seen him in tbh. One of the current Mrs PL's favourites though. She often confuses attractiveness with acting ability :D 

50 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Into the wild was a bit savage. Wasn't it based on a true story too? The scene with the moose :(

Yeah it was a bit "red in tooth and claw".. good film I thought though. 

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

I haven't seen it but I know the story, i.e. it's that Alex Supertramp / Christopher McCandless lad isn't? I've never understood hero worship though; it just seems like he was a bit of a reckless idiot.

The film was quite sympathetic to him but yeah, he plainly took his own life, accidentally or not, via a mixture of pig headedness and stupidity. 

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Its the only thing I've seen him in tbh. One of the current Mrs PL's favourites though. She often confuses attractiveness with acting ability :D 

He was in "Sons of Anarchy", that biker drama with Ron Perlman. All he can do is moody arrogant bellend.