Deep shit?

Dr Gloom

51 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

That said, we don't know yet either - we had 3 home wins in a row against lower table opponents, our star signing is out for weeks, and the teams below us don't quite look dead and buried to me.

If you look at our fixtures for the rest of the season, I reckon they're thinking something like this (0=loss, 1=draw, 3=win):

1 - Everton (A) - rescheduled

0 - Southampton (A) - rescheduled

0 - WHam (A)

1 - Brentford (A)

3 - Brighton (H)

0 - Chelsea (A)

3 - Palace (H)

0 - Spurs (A)

1 - Wolves (H)

1 - Leicester (H)

1 - Norwich (A)

0 - Liverpool (H)

0 - City (A)

1 - Arsenal (H)

3 - Burnley (A)

(comes to 15 pts but still)

Personal I think we'll get more against Everton, Southampton, West Ham, Brentford, Spurs, Norwich and Arsenal than you've put down.

17 minutes ago, trophyshy said:

Bill Murray Thank You GIF by filmeditor

:D It was to frame the fact that the numbers preceded the fixtures, which I opted for because the formatting is more agreeable.

Fucking knew someone would pick me up on that :lol:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Craig said:

Personal I think we'll get more against Everton, Southampton, West Ham, Brentford, Spurs, Norwich and Arsenal than you've put down.

Obviously I hope we do, but I don't think we know enough yet to be certain. Our home crowd has been superb recently and has definitely helped get us over the line in a couple of those games, Everton in particular. How will we do away from home? Maybe we'll do great, but I think it's still too early to tell.

If you're right then of course we're going to cruise through to safety though, so I very much hope you are.

18 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Obviously I hope we do, but I don't think we know enough yet to be certain. Our home crowd has been superb recently and has definitely helped get us over the line in a couple of those games, Everton in particular. How will we do away from home? Maybe we'll do great, but I think it's still too early to tell.

If you're right then of course we're going to cruise through to safety though, so I very much hope you are.

I have money riding on us finishing top 10 so I'm sticking with the positivity! :lol:

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I actually think we'll end up midtable too - it's like the difference between gut and brain for me, this. I feel like we're basically home dry, and yet when I sit down and look at the games, my optimism isn't reflected in the match outcomes. I'm actually kinda looking forward to seeing how wrong that post with results is.

10 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

For what it's worth, I actually think we'll end up midtable too - it's like the difference between gut and brain for me, this. I feel like we're basically home dry, and yet when I sit down and look at the games, my optimism isn't reflected in the match outcomes. I'm actually kinda looking forward to seeing how wrong that post with results is.

We’ve been radicalised/driven into the cult of “we are shit” after so many years of unrelentingly fragile performances, where wins have largely been thanks to luck in an otherwise shit performance. 

We can’t quite allow ourselves to take what we have seen of late, i.e. genuinely solid performances as truly what we are now, and just maybe it won’t turn to shit again.

Test will be the response to the next reverse on the field.

It's the update you've all been waiting for.

image.png.36d503c5260734bbf68cb5660c6615e3.png

Watford and Burnley both narrowed the gap between PPG required and Current Mgr PPG with wins.  We were bang in line with what we need to get to 36 points (1 point per game).  Norwich further adrift - Dean Smith is just about clinging onto that 0.9 PPG at 0.86 rounded up - that boy is on his way to 0.8 any time now, and his team are on their way to the Championship. 

I've replaced Hodgson's PPG achieved with his actual (rather than season to date, as it was last week).  4 points from 4 games, he's got so far, so early days and that could go in either direction fairly quickly. 

Hopefully I'm including more than 4 teams from next week - I bet you can't fucking wait. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Watford and Burnley both narrowed the gap between PPG required and Current Mgr PPG with wins.  We were bang in line with what we need to get to 36 points (1 point per game).  Norwich further adrift - Dean Smith is just about clinging onto that 0.9 PPG at 0.86 rounded up - that boy is on his way to 0.8 any time now, and his team are on their way to the Championship. 

I've replaced Hodgson's PPG achieved with his actual (rather than season to date, as it was last week).  4 points from 4 games, he's got so far, so early days and that could go in either direction fairly quickly. 

Hopefully I'm including more than 4 teams from next week - I bet you can't fucking wait. 

Sir you're doing a sterling job. Keep it coming. 

On 17/02/2022 at 16:18, Craig said:

I got 33/1 on us finishing top 10 when Eddie took over. It was worth a tenner I thought 

not particularly generous odds I don't think considering there was every liklihood we could've been adrift in bottom 3 by the january window. 

as it is we weren't and are definitely looking upwards rather over our shoulder. hope I'm wrong but I reckon you'll fall a couple of places short with your bet.

however had we signed mitrovic instead of wood.....  

On 17/02/2022 at 13:36, Gemmill said:

138381518_Screenshot_20220217-133348_TheAthletic.thumb.jpg.705e7da463a60f0fee7f59b445bd6f7d.jpg

Five Thirty-eight needs to stick to the yank sports and calling elections wrong. 

A bit late to this but howay, what a pile of shite. We're unbeaten since Christmas, we xan still grind out results without our 3 best players. Less than 10% chance of us going down imo. 

:lol:

Will take criticism on those judgements only from people who made their own ;)

I'm really pleased with that result, happy to be wrong. A bit concerned Burnley suddenly look decent but it's just one game I suppose.

• Haha 1

On 18/02/2022 at 03:49, Xa9as said:

My first time at St. James Park.  Nearly lost my watch when Robert scored, leapt out my seat and the thing nearly flew off my wrist! :lol: (no time flies jokes please)

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Highlight of my week.

• Haha 1

I’m 70/30 in the sausage party. Beat Brentford, which we should on current form, and it’s 80/20. I’d be more confident still if Watford and Burnley hasn’t won yesterday. It seems like the teams below us might be more of a concern than those above us. I can see Brentford definitely getting dragged in to to where Burnley could find a way out of it - they usually do. I never thought Everton would be bad enough to go down but they look terrible so perhaps Gemmill was right after all. 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’m 70/30 in the sausage party. Beat Brentford, which we should on current form, and it’s 80/20. I’d be more confident still if Watford and Burnley hasn’t won yesterday. It seems like the teams below us might be more of a concern than those above us. I can see Brentford definitely getting dragged in to to where Burnley could find a way out of it - they usually do. I never thought Everton would be bad enough to go down but they look terrible so perhaps Gemmill was right after all. 

I agree, I think Watford and Burnley, and even Norwich tbh, aren't dead and buried just yet. The teams above us could quite quickly find themselves dragged into it with very little warning. We've closed the gap on the teams above us, just need to keep moving forward there really. Everton, Leeds, Brentford and IMO Palace should all be careful. It'll be really competitive this year.

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Did you see the post game analysis of Everton on MOTD? Just strolling around while Southampton dominated them. Lampard saying "it's going to take time" after the game - errr Frank, I've got terrible news for you. 

BTW only 80% confident of stopping up if we win at Brentford?! Have a fucking word with yourself man. :lol:

• Like 1