Deep shit?

Dr Gloom

4 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Brentford, Brighton, Palace, Norwich, Burnley 

Win all 5 and we are safe. 

Spurs, Wolves, Leicester all winnable too if we play like we did in the first half yesterday 

I forgot we have the Everton and Southampton games to rearrange too. That makes 7 games that are definitely winnable. Grind out a couple of draws too and we will end up mid table 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tom said:

I think Neville has always believed in the potential of the club & he’s always had faith it’s coming. 

No idea where that comes from.

I've seen him talk about the night they beat us 1 nowt after we'd played them off the park in the first half,  Cantona & Schmeichel won them that game & that title... he basically said we took the roof off the place for an hour until Cantona scored...its probably that I reckon. That and his blatant honesty. A good lad. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I forgot we have the Everton and Southampton games to rearrange too. That makes 7 games that are definitely winnable. Grind out a couple of draws too and we will end up mid table 

A point a game is gonna be more than enough to stay up, I reckon. Which we should absolutely piss. Anything more than that would be gravy and a momentum starter to kick on with for next season. 

I'm excited to see what Howe can do with a summer transfer window and a (presumably) vastly improved squad to start the season with. 

The future is looking pretty rosy for NUFC. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I've seen him talk about the night they beat us 1 nowt after we'd played them off the park in the first half,  Cantona & Schmeichel won them that game & that title... he basically said we took the roof off the place for an hour until Cantona scored...its probably that I reckon. That and his blatant honesty. A good lad. 

Gets himself in bother sometimes sticking up for the wrong cause, like when he was gonna go on strike and end his England career in defence of Ferdinand who had missed a drugs test. Ferguson had to talk him down from that one. 

But I do admire the fact that he's clearly a bloke with a very firm idea of right and wrong and can't abide seeing people get away with shitty behaviour. 

The interview he did with Scudamore post the ESL breakaway attempt is good. He's clearly fucking livid. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

But I do admire the fact that he's clearly a bloke with a very firm idea of right and wrong and can't abide seeing people get away with shitty behaviour. 

That reminds me of Rio Ferdinand's award winning 'prank' show where Neville was given the option of six points on his license and his car impounded or taking a picture with a cop and he told the cop he'd rather have the points.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, MrBass said:

The Brentford game on Feb 26th is quite key.  They're only 3 points ahead of us and have played two more games. We win that and it sucks them right into it and pretty much secures our survival.

We honestly need to go into this match pushing our massive bollocks onto the pitch in a wheelbarrow, Buster Gonad style and ask them what are they going to do about these, then? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

That reminds me of Rio Ferdinand's award winning 'prank' show where Neville was given the option of six points on his license and his car impounded or taking a picture with a cop and he told the cop he'd rather have the points.

Merk’d, I think it was called :lol: The shite you remember

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Tom said:

I think Neville has always believed in the potential of the club & he’s always had faith it’s coming. 

No idea where that comes from.

I wonder if Ferguson's respect for us (on the whole) plays a part?

Ferguson was always the type of character who spoke ill of those he saw as a threat. I'm sure I've seen an interview with him where he talks of the respect he has for our club, our city and our fans. A lot of it stems from the relationship he had with Sir Bobby - he never forgot the help Bobby gave him when he was going to Europe with Aberdeen.

• Like 1

538 rely too much on historical patterns repeating.

There are too many unknowns with NUFC to say we've a 38% of going down; When Wilson will be back, when Trippier will be back, what impact Burn will have on our defence, or Targett and, of course, what the impact Bruno will have. 

It doesn't go forensic enough, for me. They don't account for the impact of motivation that opponents have. Or favoured opposition. (You'd pick Everton over Newcastle most of the time, if you had no idea how rattled Pickford gets).

That said, we don't know yet either - we had 3 home wins in a row against lower table opponents, our star signing is out for weeks, and the teams below us don't quite look dead and buried to me.

If you look at our fixtures for the rest of the season, I reckon they're thinking something like this (0=loss, 1=draw, 3=win):

1 - Everton (A) - rescheduled

0 - Southampton (A) - rescheduled

0 - WHam (A)

1 - Brentford (A)

3 - Brighton (H)

0 - Chelsea (A)

3 - Palace (H)

0 - Spurs (A)

1 - Wolves (H)

1 - Leicester (H)

1 - Norwich (A)

0 - Liverpool (H)