Deep shit?

Dr Gloom

Those three wins have been transformative.  Not just the points but the manner of the last two performances: a convincing win against Everton and a well-deserved, scrappy victory against villa - the kind you need to survive a relegation battle.

The most reassuring thing is that after a slow start, Howe’s ideas on the training are clearly now being executed on the pitch. I don’t think you can put this all down to the January spend on players given we’ve only had 2-3 of them on the pitch at any time. The squad who we had written off have stepped up. Bodes well for when everyone’s fit. Dry pants here too, trouser snake unleashed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really can’t see any of the bottom three going on the kind of run we’ve just went on tbh. MAYBE at the end of the season if they’re playing teams who are on their holidays but that game against Burnley on the last day of the season is a godsend, I reckon. They’re the most likely to be down and out, players will have fucked it off and we’ll swoop in and collect 3 points.

That article in the Athletic I read again this morning.  It just shows how much progress we have made under Howe.  I just wish silly bastards like Merson etc would do research and look into this but it's a tough ask getting them dressed on a morning.

The Brentford game on Feb 26th is quite key.  They're only 3 points ahead of us and have played two more games. We win that and it sucks them right into it and pretty much secures our survival.

• Like 2

Just now, MrBass said:

The Brentford game on Feb 26th is quite key.  They're only 3 points ahead of us and have played two more games. We win that and it sucks them right into it and pretty much secures our survival.

Yeah, I've got that pencilled in as our next important game. I don't fancy us against West Ham and but don't care as long as we win this. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I fancy us against anyone now. Keep supposedly coming up against teams having “a bad day”. Maybe, just maybe, it’s Howes tactics and our battlers that are making them have a bad day.

What a time to be alive :lol: 

I don't necessarily fancy us against anyone but I agree with the other point.

I've heard it said about Leeds, Everton and Villa that they looked bad against us, pundits and their own managers said as much as if it is a coincidence that a confident, capable hard pressing side that they've assumed would be an easy game has been who they've played when they've had their worst game of the season.

• Like 1

Screenshot_20220214-091432_Forza.thumb.jpg.add2020248c595865d110306bf8dfe37.jpg

Next 4 games for Leeds. Man United and Spurs aren't looking like the teams you'd expect them to be, but that's still a tough run. 

During which time we've got.. 

Screenshot_20220214-091607_Forza.thumb.jpg.e55fd9c496d435061256319f6cd73fb0.jpg

We're only 2 points behind them. Not sure we still will be after this run of games. 

Edited by Gemmill

Those three wins, combined with the results around us, have basically made West Ham a game that we can afford to lose. Obviously, you don’t want to be battered and you’d want to be straight back to winning ways against Brentford but we’ve eased the pressure on ourselves massively where if it’s a narrow loss on Saturday, it’s not the end of the world 

44 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

image.thumb.png.a7fd6fb9f863304c7bdc05d857b3f9de.png

Lads, I've served you up an absolute treat here. 

If we pick an arbitrary 36 points for survival (it might even be less than that, extremely unlikely to be more), we have to pick up 1 point per game between now and the end of the season.  Howe is currently averaging 1.3 points per game since he took over. 

If you look at what the other teams have to achieve as a PPG average, and what they're currently managing to achieve, it seems like the wheels would have to come off for us to not stay up.  I've put Current Manager PPG in for Norwich, Burnley and us.  Because Woy has only been in charge a few games and is rocking a 0.33 point per game average, I've subbed in their current season to date average instead.  Hodgson would need to double what they've managed so far this season to get to 36. 

There's only one manager already outperforming what is required to get to 36 points.  And that man is Edward. John. Frank. Howe. 

Conclusion:  I think we're borderline safe already.  Driest kegs in the business. 

In the light of this post my avatar has stirred a little

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Merson can continue to deny the evidence before his eyes right up to the moment we're parading the Premier League trophy round SJP if he likes. The sozzled tit. 

These lazy moron pundits did not watch enough of us through Bruce to know how insipid the football was, and how generally indolent the club had become, and so they will also have not seen how that has transformed in such a short period under Howe.

We're playing as a team with a collective purpose, even Shelvey is pulling his weight. If this can be maintained for the remainder of the season we'll go into the summer with a fantastic trajectory that should only continue into the transfer market. It's far from done yet but the attitude shift is as clear as night and day and it extends through all aspects of the club including the owners, management, coaches, players and the supporters. We asked for a club that tries and that's what we're finally getting.

And it feels fucking great.

• Like 6

We’re 4th in the form table. Obviously you wouldn’t expect us to maintain that but we don’t need to be safe. I’d suggest anything over a 1 point per game average from now on will see us easily stay up. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Those three wins, combined with the results around us, have basically made West Ham a game that we can afford to lose. Obviously, you don’t want to be battered and you’d want to be straight back to winning ways against Brentford but we’ve eased the pressure on ourselves massively where if it’s a narrow loss on Saturday, it’s not the end of the world 

my West Ham mate reckons it’s a good time to play them. They’re apparently playing quite poorly with only Bowen looking good

1 minute ago, NJS said:

He was a horrible cunt of a player but in general he's a pretty decent bloke.

Minor blindspot when it comes to ex-colleagues but otherwise okay. 

Aye I hated him as a player, but he does seem like a good lad. Definitely the pundit I've got the most time for.