Eddie Howe

Tom

11 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Again, I think he did well. It’s flared up because of Chelsea, the match and the 81 executions. It will bubble a bit, die down and then flare up. Just the way it will be now.

So much hypocrisy on display though everywhere you look. They have their “laws” and execute people. USA have their laws and execute people. I think we only made it illegal in the late 90’s and the majority of people here want it back.

Im sure as we get the board up and running we will have people who will better talk about these issues.

Think it was abolished here in the 60s but a quirk of the statute book meant it was still a punishment for treason despite it not actually being able to take place. Homosexuality was illegal here until the late 60s too and there wasn’t a great deal of appetite for that law change amongst the general public. That’s not an excuse for the human rights record in KSA of course 

Edited by Alex

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Frankly it’s an absurd reflection of the world we live in that the Newcastle manager is under more scrutiny re: the Saudi regime than either the Premier League or the PM trying to cement multi-billion pound investment deals with them. I think that Howe does well. At this point I’d have a press officer state at the beginning of press conferences that Howe has given his views on the topic and that any other questions about it will not be answered. The journalists asking the questions have barely got a fucking clue about the subject either, which just adds to the ridiculousness of it all

Aye they’re football writers, we’ve learned down the years that the majority of them can’t even write about football properly let alone geopolitics.

Historically only Caulkin & Winter were the only ones worth reading.

• Like 3

Just now, Alex said:

Think it was abolished here in the 60s but a quirk of the statute book meant it was still a punishment for treason despite it not actually being able to take place. Homosexuality was illegal here until the late 60s too and there wasn’t a great deal of appetite for that law amongst the general public. That’s not an excuse for the human rights record in KSA of course 

Definitely not. But we’ve been happy to take their money for years in all walks of business. There a lot of sour grapes that it’s Newcastle and not a “favourite” getting the investment.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Christmas Tree said:

Definitely not. But we’ve been happy to take their money for years in all walks of business. There a lot of sour grapes that it’s Newcastle and not a “favourite” getting the investment.

Abso-fucking-lutely 

• Like 2

Just watched the extended version of Jordan's interview. He makes a valid point stating that MPs were petitioning for the sale to PCP to be passed through so it'd be utterly absurd to consider a full reversal of those views simply in light of what's going on in Ukraine. 

He also feels Howe has been less than adequately briefed on how to deal with the questions suggesting that he should signposting the journalists to the Premier League by saying something like:

"In a civilised society with western cultures and western values I abhore all human rights attrocities, but I'm a football manager working for a fund which the Premier League has said isn't owned by the Saudi state. End of discussion, thanks  next question please."

• Like 2

Does Bruno Lage get asked about the Chinese treatment of the Uyghurs? Does Steven Gerrard get asked about the 152 executions in Egypt last year? Does Conte get asked about the fact that Joe Lewis can't attend home matches because he's a tax dodger? Does Brendan Rodgers try to explain why you get thrown in jail for insulting the Thai king?

The focus is on Eddie Howe because we have money to spend. That's what makes us interesting. No journalist genuinely expects Eddie Howe to provide a thoughtful insight into the behaviours of Saudi Arabia. They're just pushing him for a soundbite in order to create headlines or using it as a stick to beat him.

It will pass when they get bored of it.

• Like 6

It would be counterproductive but I’d be tempted to answer with a question along the lines of: Given the role of Saudi Arabia as a strategic ally in a region of huge geopolitical significance, how do you think the UK should proceed in terms of a future relationship with them? And what role do you think the manager of Newcastle United should play in that? But, before you get to that, can you give me a brief breakdown of the origins of and the current situation re: their conflict with Yemen? 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Does Bruno Lage get asked about the Chinese treatment of the Uyghurs? Does Steven Gerrard get asked about the 152 executions in Egypt last year? Does Conte get asked about the fact that Joe Lewis can't attend home matches because he's a tax dodger? Does Brendan Rodgers try to explain why you get thrown in jail for insulting the Thai king?

The focus is on Eddie Howe because we have money to spend. That's what makes us interesting. No journalist genuinely expects Eddie Howe to provide a thoughtful insight into the behaviours of Saudi Arabia. They're just pushing him for a soundbite in order to create headlines or using it as a stick to beat him.

It will pass when they get bored of it.

Spot on, all the points would be palmed off as “whataboutism” but they all stand if you steamroll into the path of morality. You can’t just reject all counterpoints as whataboutism which is what they’re doing. 

23 minutes ago, Alex said:

It would be counterproductive but I’d be tempted to answer with a question along the lines of: Given the role of Saudi Arabia as a strategic ally in a region of huge geopolitical significance, how do you think the UK should proceed in terms of a future relationship with them? And what role do you think the manager of Newcastle United should play in that? But, before you get to that, can you give me a brief breakdown of the origins of and the current situation re: their conflict with Yemen? 

Aye, as above they’re steamrolling into morality but being selective with it which is always a dicey thing to do. By all means highlight the deplorable behavior of SA, but what about all of the shirt manufacturers and their use of sweatshops? How many people die or have their lives ruined from those practices? All of the points ewerk listed should be brought up, and many many more. How can they pick and choose the amount of deaths, or manner of deaths that deserve questioning?

The question you highlight about how these journalists think we should proceed hits the nail on the head. It’s perfectly fine to say you’re highlighting issues but give no view on resolution, but the moment you start passing judgement on those like Howe, or the supporters, I would argue they’re obligated (including you Bird, you patronizing cunt) to explain what should be done. Take the absolute approach and cease all business with them, all well and good but can we agree that historically hasn’t worked well? Do we take the role of world police and attack them, install a government of our choosing and force our beliefs? Again that hasn’t really worked well in many (if any) cases, maybe this soft power play of creating a dependance on the west, it could lead to change, and when it doesn’t (e.g. Russia) you have a leash that you can severely pull in and attempt to force them to back down, the issue? Engaging with a horrific regime leaves a bad taste in everyone’s mouths, but this is the play the Government are making and you can’t shame people like Eddie Howe for going along with that, unless of course you are able to provide a preferable alternative (even then it’s more the responsibility of the Government and not a fucking football manager). It’s almost as if this is a highly complex, nuanced issue and isn’t quite as straightforward as they’re all making out. 

Again, no issue with them calling out SA, writing articles about how they’re despicable and shouldn’t be involved in football (may want to start including all the other horrible cunts involved too though) but attacks against people like Howe, or supporters are just unwarranted. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 4

"Eddie, Lee Ryder, Trinity mirror regional sports writer of the year 2014 here, given the questions of the executions in Saudi Arabia you're getting, are you aware if any of them had any kind of north east connections or relatives as the Thompson House crime reporter has asked iz to ask you seeing as they're a bit quiet on any Sayers gangster stories lately and could do with a scoop? Cheers, Eddie."

Lee-Ryder-pic.jpg

• Haha 7

They want the PIF ownership to cease from what I can tell and that’s it basically. It’ll change absolutely nothing bar making them feel better, plus allowing them to return to their default position of mocking / patronising the poor little Geordies. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Absolutely not. It would be a PR disaster. It’s clear that Saudi values do not align with ours. There’s absolutely nothing that YAR could say, other than a complete admonishment of the Saudi system and rulers, that would satisfy the public.

The Saudis are wrong and barbaric in so many ways. There’s no point in trying to defend the indefensible which is why Howe is staying the fuck out of it and so should the club.

Yes they are, by our standards, standards that were 1000 years in the making. It's a horrific part of the world (not just Saudi) life's cheap in the middle east, we can only lead them forward, to try and force them will have the exact opposite effect and end in more suffering IMO.

There are huge swathes of the world which are culturally still in the middle ages and those cultures are ingrained, so there's no easy/quick fix.

I think the best way to handle it is exactly what Howe has done.  If he just keeps answering as he has it will certainly go away, at least until the next reason for it to flare up.  Hopfully SA won't have any more days of 81 beheadings any time soon.  The only thing Howe really could say against the Saudi's is that he disagrees with capital punishment in general.  But to try and stop the questions being put to him, especially after he's said that he understands it's up to journalists to ask, wouldn't look great imo.

3 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Yes they are, by our standards, standards that were 1000 years in the making. It's a horrific part of the world (not just Saudi) life's cheap in the middle east, we can only lead them forward, to try and force them will have the exact opposite effect and end in more suffering IMO.

There are huge swathes of the world which are culturally still in the middle ages and those cultures are ingrained, so there's no easy/quick fix.

I get what you're saying about our standards being 1,000 years in the making, but there were no models in place when we were working our shit out. I'm not sure they need another 1,000 years when there are clear examples of how not to carry on freely available to them.

"We need the time to work this shit out for ourselves" sounds like a bit of an excuse tbh. 

Regarding the journalists who attack the fans for being complicit, what are our choices? We have no power to stop it, so we’d have to effectively remove football from our lives. Even if we could kick up a huge stink and have the sale blocked/make the buyers lose interest we are then back to Ashley farting into our face while Charnley pins us down, which is basically cutting footy out our lives anyway. 

My opinion of these pricks is honestly so low that I think if we did kick up a huge fuss and somehow block/deter the deal there’d be a ton of articles calling us xenophobic/racist cunts who obviously just want a Geordie to own the club. Then they’d go back to howling laughing at us being abhorrent under Ashley, and whenever we complained they’d have a new point of “well they could have had the Saudi owners and been competing with Manchester City by now”. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I think the best way to handle it is exactly what Howe has done.  If he just keeps answering as he has it will certainly go away, at least until the next reason for it to flare up.  Hopfully SA won't have any more days of 81 beheadings any time soon.  The only thing Howe really could say against the Saudi's is that he disagrees with capital punishment in general.  But to try and stop the questions being put to him, especially after he's said that he understands it's up to journalists to ask, wouldn't look great imo.

I think all this “Eddie is doing ok, let him face it, it’s working”  is bollocks tbh. Completely agree we shouldn’t try to shut down questions but I think the people at NUFC who actually did did the deal in the first place should be answering for it, not an employee.  At any other corporate entity we’d be getting annihilated for letting this situation continue.  Who knows what EH thinks of being put in this position but if he’s deep down uncomfortable with it all who knows what it could lead to. He’s utterly compromised and the press know it. We as a club are going to have to face it head on at some point and that can only come from the owners. I think they (and the Premier League) should answer questions. If they want to manage the situation , get the right journo etc that’s fine. But avoiding it and using EH is bullshit. And Id further add, fuckin typical. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I get what you're saying about our standards being 1,000 years in the making, but there were no models in place when we were working our shit out. I'm not sure they need another 1,000 years when there are clear examples of how not to carry on freely available to them.

"We need the time to work this shit out for ourselves" sounds like a bit of an excuse tbh. 

You misunderstand, I'm not saying that at all, but you can't expect anywhere to culturally evolve 1000 years worth of maturity in a few years, of course they should follow the model and move forward much quicker than we did, they are to a point (see Meenzer's article link) but the crux of the arguments seem to be "they're terrible, why aren't they like us NOW" that is just not feasible.

By what factor does a century with a model to copy equate to working the model out for yourself ?? if 100 with the model to follow = 500 years without, they should be at our 1400 standards, 800 years = they'd be equivalent of us in 1700.

We should applaud any progress, not just look at the shit and use it as a stick.

• Like 2

The Saudis don't want cultural progress. The status quo is working quite well for them at the moment. If you start making significant strides forward then it ends in a Saudi democracy and that doesn't suit the ruling class.

• Like 1

If every fan who’s club owner was dodgy cut football out of their lives, these daft cunts would be out of a job quicker than you can say “Trinity Mirror Group Regional Sports Writer of the Year 2014”

• Like 2