Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

17 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I just struggle to see how we fit Bruno, Joelinton, Shelvey, Willock, Elliot, Longstaff and Paqueta into the same squad. Particularly  when we can't hit a barn door up front atm 

Paqueta and Bruno is a brilliant CM pairing, we then either play Bruno deeper like he played at Lyon with Joelinton as the 8, or have Joelinton screening with Bruno 8 and Paqueta further forward. I don’t really see the point in holding off and losing out on a top class Brazilian international because Fraser/Murphy/ Almiron are poor. With that midfield we might actually start to control games. We could then sign one of Cornet, Dennis, Sarr for something around 15m, and/or Belotti on a free. 

If you were meaning in terms of 25 man squad, Anderson doesn’t count towards it and imo we should look to offload Shelvey if we got Paqueta as he triggers an extra 12 month extension with 3 more appearances. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I just struggle to see how we fit Bruno, Joelinton, Shelvey, Willock, Elliot, Longstaff and Paqueta into the same squad. Particularly  when we can't hit a barn door up front atm 

Could mean the end of shelvey

28 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

We yeet one of Longstaff or Shelvey in the bin with a big smile on our faces. You actually bring up an important point though, and the fact is that Shelvey and Longstaff should both command some sort of fee, as opposed to the players we've let go on loan and got nothing for so far. We could perhaps get 10 to 15 for Shelvey, and if we're lucky maybe a bit more for Longstaff given his age. An extra 15m would come in very handy. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 1

We won’t get rid of Shelvey because nobody will match his ridiculous wages. With him being due a contract extension after another three games we probably are stuck with him.

The legacy of the fat clowns.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Andrew said:

Was listening to On the Continent podcast the other day and they talked about paqueta. 

Apparently hes very sensitive to people he likes around the club leaving, he left Milan because Leonardo had gone and now he wants out of Lyon because juninho and bruno have gone.

Assuming we are in for him thats got to bode well for us over arsenal. 

Interesting that.  Could mean he is in for a move to the EPL.  BTW Is that a decent podcast Andrew?

I do think Shelvey has improved a lot since Howe has come in and when he was out his range of passing was somewhat of a miss.  But, I know it's only friendlies, but, ciggy has played well and chipped in with goals.  Get him playing with more confidence,  Paqueta in and Anderson and I would be happy with that.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/07/19/newcastle-worlds-richest-club-why-not-spending-money/?utm_content=football&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1658212445-1

"According to the people running the club on a day-to-day basis, Newcastle cannot spend more than £100 million on transfers in this window - and that, according to senior sources, is at the very top end of the budget. In April, this figure was even lower at £60 million."

He can't bear to admit he was wrong :lol: 

Edited by Kid Dynamite
  • Haha 2

It's almost as though we're a properly run football club these days. :smile:

This is the issue with sections of our fanbase. They've been so used to it being run poorly and leaks / namedrops all over the place from Ashley and his cronies over the past 15 years that non-disclosure seems an alien concept. 

I trust that we will do decent business between now and when the window closes. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

There's a few that will have to drop out of the squad to be fair.

By my count we have 29 players that need to be reduced to 25. But we've glaring weaknesses at AM, RW and CF.  We could probably get by without 1 of those positions being significantly strengthened in this window. 

Of the 7 you've mentioned Bruno and Joelinton have to be included. Paqueta too, if he were signed. Does Anderson need to be registered? He's only 19, right? So, realistically you'd need to drop/sell/loan out Shelvey, Willock or Longstaff.

I know that Shelvey gets a 12month extension if he plays 3 more games and I'd argue if we can buy another CM, it makes most sense to move him on before that extension is brought into play.

Anderson is young enough that he doesn't have to be registered. I think if Paqueta comes on board then Shelvey's days are numbered. We can talk about this high wage contract he has but the reality is he'll be put out to pasture much like Clark was last season. 

Pretty sure the idea of paying his contract off won't escape their thoughts either. 

51 minutes ago, Craig said:

It's almost as though we're a properly run football club these days. :smile:

This is the issue with sections of our fanbase. They've been so used to it being run poorly and leaks / namedrops all over the place from Ashley and his cronies over the past 15 years that non-disclosure seems an alien concept. 

I trust that we will do decent business between now and when the window closes. 

Absolutely. I’d add that a lot of the noise in the press is probably coming from agents looking to talk up their clients.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Craig said:

Anderson is young enough that he doesn't have to be registered. I think if Paqueta comes on board then Shelvey's days are numbered. We can talk about this high wage contract he has but the reality is he'll be put out to pasture much like Clark was last season. 

Pretty sure the idea of paying his contract off won't escape their thoughts either. 

JS' contract runs out June 30 2023. If he's on £80k, say, that's <£1m. Even if we were to put him out on loan and cover his wages, that's surely worth it?

• Like 2

If we strength with Paqueta, Shelvey is gone.  You would send him packing over Willcok or Ciggy purely for the high wages he will be on.  I know we're not privy to his contract, but I doubt his extension trigger is on much lower wages.

Just now, wykikitoon said:

If we strength with Paqueta, Shelvey is gone.  You would send him packing over Willcok or Ciggy purely for the high wages he will be on.  I know we're not privy to his contract, but I doubt his extension trigger is on much lower wages.

It will be the same wages he's on now.

• Like 1

I think Shelvey will be an able squad member as long as he keeps his performances up - which I think he will.

If he has options on the ball he will find the pass. It must be hard for his game when the rest of the entire team are on the edge our box. Howe has us playing more expansive now and better signings will help him.

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Andrew said:

Was listening to On the Continent podcast the other day and they talked about paqueta. 

Apparently hes very sensitive to people he likes around the club leaving, he left Milan because Leonardo had gone and now he wants out of Lyon because juninho and bruno have gone.

Assuming we are in for him thats got to bode well for us over arsenal. 

That and we’re a bigger, richer, more ambitious football club ;) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

:lol: Aye he flat out doesn’t understand FFP at even a passing level. You can’t just say “we have X to spend” and it mean total transfer fee like people did years ago, that’s why like I’ve said before the £60m he was told for FFP reasons is likely right and we’ve spent somewhere around £20m of that so far in terms of how that £60m is calculated. That’s why his budget keeps going up, he was initially saying all we had was £60m but now we can spend basically double that the fucking head case. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

The Big Six clubs are all paying their star players more than £200,000-a-week and Newcastle cannot compete with that. Agents and clubs, who remember the 'richest club in the world' tag, have been shocked to find Newcastle are unwilling and unable to offer those kinds of terms.

Again, FFP is being used as the excuse to explain why. Until the sponsorship deals come in, Newcastle have the financial muscle of clubs like Leicester, West Ham and Aston Villa. The latter two are also said to be offering far bigger wages this summer to transfer targets.

How to contradict yourself in one short paragraph.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If Edwards ‘knows’ anything I would imagine he’s being fed scraps the club want in the public domain as opposed to what’s actually happening behind the scenes. He definitely has all the credentials for the useful idiot role 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

We'll be keeping tabs on his performances

• Haha 4

Seen a few reports saying that Chelsea want a loan as opposed to a permanent deal for Broja, so we might steal in front of West Ham for his signing. If the choice is between Broja on loan and Diaby permanent, or Paqueta and someone like Dennis, you know what I'm not really sure what I'd prefer. On the face of it Diaby and Broja have the greater collective potential, but we may never see Broja's full potential if Chelsea wanted him back after a loan period. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season