Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I think we're our own thing tbh. We're being run completely separately to everything that's going on with the Saudi league, I would imagine - I don't think they will be competing interests for PIF at all.

Aye, this is a sensible summary IMO

• Like 2

According to the Telegraph we're interested in some 20 year old striker off Hertha Berlin called Derry Scherhan. Has barely broken into the Hertha first team squad, and would only cost a comparatively nominal fee. It would certainly make sense that we'd go after a kid who'd be happy to sit on the bench for a season or two to replace that spot that Wood vacated. Lets hope he's deershant. 

https://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2023/06/20/newcastle-plan-to-make-1-5m-german-their-latest-summer-signing-the-telegraph/

6 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

According to the Telegraph we're interested in some 20 year old striker off Hertha Berlin called Londonderry Scherhan. Has barely broken into the Hertha first team squad, and would only cost a comparatively nominal fee. It would certainly make sense that we'd go after a kid who'd be happy to sit on the bench for a season or two to replace that spot that Wood vacated. Lets hope he's deershant. 

https://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2023/06/20/newcastle-plan-to-make-1-5m-german-their-latest-summer-signing-the-telegraph/

Brit'dYP

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Brit'dYP

I'll only accept Derry/Londonderry Scherhan. Yes people will very quickly get tired of saying both and shorten it to Derry, but that's my final offer. 

Our favourite Spanish/Irish nonce Miguel Delaney is saying that LiVARpool are interested in Barella, but are put off by the 80m asking price. A fairly safe non story from old Miguel. 

2 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Maddison is dating/married to an American influencer type. I wonder if she's leaning on him to move to London rather than Newcastle. I just can't understand why you choose Spurs over NUFC for purely footballing reasons?

Show him a video of our first 20mins against them. They're a shit show, about to sell the only player that kept them in the top half of the table and their new manager has only managed in farmers leagues 

Kane isn't going anywhere. If Real sign anyone it will be Mbappe this summer. And ManUre have pulled out already.

Edited by Holden McGroin

27 minutes ago, ohhh_yeah said:

Done deal.   :biggrin:

b25l-Y21z-Om-My-Yzhk-NTcz-LWRj-MDQt-NDQ1

If Joselu had've played for Sunderland and ended up scoring the winner in this season's CL I reckon there'd be multiple, weird, self congratulatory posts on RTG compared to mild amusement on here if he does it. 

• Haha 2

Joselu seems to me a rather mediocre player (the level of his entire career is what we saw here) and he is also a bit unlucky.

In the last 3 Spanish teams in which he has been (Deportivo Coruña, Alavés and Espanyol) he has ended up being relegated.

It is true that he has been at a more than acceptable level for 2 or 3 years and that this last season he has played very, very well. And that he has been lucky with the Spanish team (he has 3 goals in just 3 games).

But he is already 33 years old ... I don't know. I understand that the signing that Real Madrid makes is for him to occupy the role that Mariano has had in recent years. That is to say... Play between 300 and 500 minutes per season. Only go out on the field in the first rounds of the cup, in games already sentenced or in the 80-85th minute of games in which you need to score and go to hang balls in the area.

Real Madrid must sign a first name striker. I don't know if it will be Kane, Mbappe, Mané or who. But it can't be Joselu (another option that occurs to me is that Rodrygo ends up being his real center forward).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

NUFC are a tiny part of PIFs portfolio. And PIF are just one of the tools MBS is using to revamp and re-market Saudi Arabia. There is a massive development drive going on over there to the tune of trillions of dollars literally. If and once they are able to develop all the tourist/luxury infrastructure you need people to come in and use it. Improving image, getting celebrties to come and live in the country and visit for events etc obviously helps with that. There are no FFP rules in Saudi (I guess?), so this is a great chance for them to attract footballers that noone else in Europe really wants at those prices/wages. It makes sense that the financial muscle of PIF is engaged for that. We shouldn't think even for a moment that we're the only or the main priority.

I agree with what Gemmill said, we're likely to be an independent long term project and Im sure the investment will keep coming in as has been promised. A different sort of venture from the supercharged throw cash in the face projects PIF will be helping with in Saudi. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, aimaad22 said:

NUFC are a tiny part of PIFs portfolio. And PIF are just one of the tools MBS is using to revamp and re-market Saudi Arabia. There is a massive development drive going on over there to the tune of trillions of dollars literally. If and once they are able to develop all the tourist/luxury infrastructure you need people to come in and use it. Improving image, getting celebrties to come and live in the country and visit for events etc obviously helps with that. There are no FFP rules in Saudi (I guess?), so this is a great chance for them to attract footballers that noone else in Europe really wants at those prices/wages. It makes sense that the financial muscle of PIF is engaged for that. We shouldn't think even for a moment that we're the only or the main priority.

I agree with what Gemmill said, we're likely to be an independent long term project and Im sure the investment will keep coming in as has been promised. A different sort of venture from the supercharged throw cash in the face projects PIF will be helping with in Saudi. 

nufc has some oldies amongst its support, pif needs to get its priorities right before its too late for them.

fuck what gemmill says.

• Haha 7

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jun/20/manchester-united-and-newcastle-adama-bojang-the-gambia-premier-league-bundesliga?CMP=share_btn_tw

We're supposedly interested in a 19 year old Gambian striker. You'd imagine it's between him and Scherhant, assuming both links hold water, for that young, inexperienced striker spot in the squad. 

I feel like We're not really bothering with McTominay.

For anyone wondering this lad wears number 8, but he'd probably be our new 6.

• Like 2

As far as I'm aware Tonali is thought of as the successor to Pirlo in that sort of deep lying playmaker role. So think how Shelvey played for us under Howe, except Tonali is an elite player and athlete as opposed to a slow slap head who's more interested in golf than playing football. The Everything is Black and White podcast lads dropped a bollock on this. They agree that a move for Tonali rated at about a 2 iirc in terms of likeliness. 

Why is the music for football videos universally atrocious? Maybe a bit early to post a video given it's supposedly only a bid being submitted, but for anyone who wants to watch it. In regard to Tonali I think like Barella it's going to be very difficult to persuade him to leave Italy. I read that he's been an A.C. Milan fanatic since childhood. 

Edit. Just thinking there that in terms of him not wanting to leave, it is possible that whatever happened with Maldini being let go as director might have soured Tonali's relationship with the club. It was Maldini who brought Tonali to the club from Brescia and obviously Maldini is almost the embodiment of the club. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, aimaad22 said:

NUFC are a tiny part of PIFs portfolio. And PIF are just one of the tools MBS is using to revamp and re-market Saudi Arabia.

Far from being simply used to "revamp and re-market Saudi Arabia" we're part of the diversification of their wealth away from the source of it; oil. It's part of a broader strategy under which divestment from oil and traditional streams of renevue are or will soon be occurring. I'm not suggesting you don't know any of this, just pointing out that they're not throwing money away in a marketing campaign for the country, but rather will be operating the club as part of a broader portfolio that is ultimately designed to maintain and increase their wealth over the long term.

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season