Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

They always go for the money though. It's not like the London and Manchester clubs are enticing people with pay cuts.

Exactly, it's always money but the club has to be a fit for the player's ambition when that player is highly regarded as Tonali is.

Apparently Juve refused to extend Chiesa's 8m euro a year contract which is why it's looking like he's on the move. What you can take from that is that they perhaps don't believe he's worth that new contract, they can't afford to pay it, or a bit of both. His form has seemed to have tailed off a bit since the Euros. I think he had a fairly big knee injury. If we could get a decent price, and Howe could help bring him back to that form, then we'd have a real bargain on our hands. Juve are supposedly looking for around 50m, so if we could get that closer to 40m it would potentially be great business. 

Edited by Polarboy

5 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Apparently Juve refused to extend Chiesa's 8m euro a year contract which is why it's looking like he's on the move. What you can take from that is that they perhaps don't believe he's worth that new contract, they can't afford to pay it, or a bit of both. His form has seemed to have tailed off a bit since the Euros. I think he had a fairly big knee injury. If we could get a decent price, and Howe could help bring him back to that form, then we'd have a real bargain on our hands. Juve are supposedly looking for around 50m, so if we could get that closer to 40m it would potentially be great business. 

If he's had a knee injury then you'd be hoping our medical team would be looking at everything to make sure he's not someone we are going to need to wrap in cotton wool or who is finished as an elite player. 

7 minutes ago, Chaser said:

If he's had a knee injury then you'd be hoping our medical team would be looking at everything to make sure he's not someone we are going to need to wrap in cotton wool or who is finished as an elite player. 

Well yeah, if we are actually in for him I'm sure the medical would be extensive. I could be wrong, but I think a bad ankle injury is actually more worrying for that sort of dribbler player. Someone was talking about Joe Cole recently and they were saying that a bad ankle injury can fuck up your entire career if you're constantly shifting your balance when you play. 

Just reading about Chiesa's injury. He ruptured his ACL in January 2022 and made his comeback in October of the same year. They say it takes at least a season to get back into the swing of things from an ACL, so whoever does buy him could be getting him at good time where he's back to being capable of his best levels. 

Journos seems to have varying ideas about where we will play Tonali. The consensus of course has been he will slot into DM to 'unleash' Bruno but there was an article yesterday in the Athletic about him being played ahead of Bruno. Not subscribing currently so no idea what the details were :lol: Interesting to see what Eddie has planned. 

8 minutes ago, aimaad22 said:

Journos seems to have varying ideas about where we will play Tonali. The consensus of course has been he will slot into DM to 'unleash' Bruno but there was an article yesterday in the Athletic about him being played ahead of Bruno. Not subscribing currently so no idea what the details were :lol: Interesting to see what Eddie has planned. 

I can tell these so called “journos” where he’ll play, in midfield, because he’s a fuckin midfielder 😀

• Haha 8

3 hours ago, Polarboy said:

I'll be interested to compare Tonali and Rice's numbers come the end of the new season, given that Rice will probably end up costing more or less double Tonali's fee. 

Yes

More than any other aspect of us signing him, this is what gets me wet. 

giphy.webp

• Haha 5

Just now, strawb said:

He isn’t the kind to sit deep. He’s a proper old school midfielder who covers the whole pitch 

This is what I’m trying to tell these FIFA spreadsheet wonks mate. They should read that article with the weird pics…”he’s more Di Rossi than Pirlo” 👍

• Like 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season