Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

So. We aren't going to announce Tonoli for another 6 months and we need patience as we aren't in for anyone else

That was CN on the blue nun

No we are after someone. 

Daft cunt. 

• Like 1

Just read livramento is actually younger than Ashby. I don't really care what happens to Manquillo or Krafth but it seems harsh on Ashby to sign someone who will probably be ahead of him before he's really started. 

37 minutes ago, NJS said:

it seems harsh on Ashby to sign someone who will probably be ahead of him before he's really started. 

There’s no room for sentiment when you’re competing at the top.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

There’s no room for sentiment when you’re competing at the top.

Definitely agree - just seems a bit harsh. I'm probably just not enough of a twat (yet). 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Bad news delivered with the usual glee 

Leicester are desperate for a bidding war on their only real saleable asset. They can demand what they want be the truth is they move closer and closer to losing him for free every time they turn down a bid.

Spurs and us both know this, we've shown already that we're happy to do other business and Spurs are Spurs with Levy in charge, neither club will pay over the odds.

Can see us just walking away from it quite soon if they keep trying to play the two clubs interest off on one another to increase how much they get.

• Like 4

I also didn’t expect us to be looking for a RB. But I guess 2 important things have changed since Ashby was signed: Southampton got relegated, and we qualified for the CL. So Livramento might be cheaper, and more games means we’re more likely to need a quality backup to Trippier, for rotation/injury.

So I can see the logic.

• Like 2

If you think the kid’s a really good right back and you can get him for very little in the current market then it’s a no-brainer. With little impact on ffp over the course of their contract. (Edit: or on how much is available to spend in this window). 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 3

Yep. I think it's evidence that the mindset on young players will be taking them on the basis of opportunity and not in terms of their relationship to the immediate to medium term needs of the first team squad. As others have mentioned, many of these youngsters come with on-sale potential which can be used to fund further transfers down the line. Reminds me of the approach taken in the draft for MLB. It's more so a matter of getting the best players rather than shopping for specific pieces. Makes sense in that context. Definitely not what we're used to though so it does seem a bit odd when we're used to seeing a youngster come through and we have no option but to pin all our hopes and dreams on them. Even if they're shit right from the outset, i.e., Shane "On the Wane" Ferguson. :P 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

agreed. Bit of a weird one. I was expecting attacking mid/winger, centre back or left back next 

I don’t think it’s weird at all. He can cover both full back positions and would be the second best full back at the club 

I don’t see Ashby ever playing for us. Manquillo can’t be trusted to give tripper a rest and burn should be used as cover for Botman and left back. Krafh would be handy to keep around if he comes back the same player. 

Targett is obviously not fancied. 

• Like 2

To be fair to Targett, he had a foot problem for most of last season. I also think Burn did better than he was given credit for. Then I think there was too much riding on the run in to disrupt such a mean defence. However, I do wonder if the club’s progressed so quickly that Targett has already seen himself relegated to being either surplus to requirements or a squad player at best. There’s also a need for most players to be versatile, as the squad size is quite limiting to clubs competing on 4 fronts. Especially when that European competition is the CL. And he can only really play left back effectively you’d think 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

That saints kid. I wonder if cash plus some of our shite could work

Isaac Hayden could definitely do a job for them in the Championship.

• Like 3

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season