Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

If Neves had gone to Saudi a couple of years ago and sat on the bench like Philips there wouldn't be anyone moaning about this at all.  I mean, he's hardly smashing up the no mark league he's in.  But because the likes of Man Utd, Dippers, Barca etc were after him in the summer and didn't get him because he took oil money then their noses have been put out of joint.

Just make a rule if they've been bought by a club under the age of, say, 21 they cannot be loaned out that season to another club.

There will also be a few clubs trying to loan players from Saudi to assist in their relegation battles (Man Utd for example) that will be told to fuck off if this goes through. I don't care about it tbf other than to wind other clubs up to breaking point, there's a whiff of cutting your nose off about it though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's frustrating that this has been looked at purely to stymie us (and make no mistake if we didn't have a stack of injuries this would never even have been considered) but, objectively I've no problem with backdoors for bigger clubs being shut. We'd be justifiably annoyed if Man City were crippled with injuries and they loaned players from a newly opulent state backed UAE League, wouldn't we?

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

It's frustrating that this has been looked at purely to stymie us (and make no mistake if we didn't have a stack of injuries this would never even have been considered) but, objectively I've no problem with backdoors for bigger clubs being shut. We'd be justifiably annoyed if Man City were crippled with injuries and they loaned players from a newly opulent state backed UAE League, wouldn't we?

No we wouldn't because they've got a shit ton more quality AND depth already because they expanded exponentially without the constraints of FFP. We're adhering to FFP and it's royally fucking over the health of our players because they're stretched so thin across our many games, as we knew it would. If we weren't limited by FFP we'd have the depth to have avoided at least some of these injuries, or to have had replacements of suitable quality and experience. Let's not forget that FFP purports to be to protect clubs from spending too much and threatening their survival. That is simply not a risk to us. The reality is FFP is of course designed to protect the monopoly of the curently most powerful clubs by preventing anyone else from spending similar amounts on players, management, facilities etc.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, OTF said:

No we wouldn't because they've got a shit ton more quality AND depth already because they expanded exponentially without the constraints of FFP. We're adhering to FFP and it's royally fucking over the health of our players because they're stretched so thin across our many games, as we knew it would. If we weren't limited by FFP we'd have the depth to have avoided at least some of these injuries, or to have had replacements of suitable quality and experience. Let's not forget that FFP purports to be to protect clubs from spending too much and threatening their survival. That is simply not a risk to us. The reality is FFP is of course designed to protect the monopoly of the curently most powerful clubs by preventing anyone else from spending similar amounts on players, management, facilities etc.

precisely.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OTF said:

christina-aguilera-preach-it-girl.gif

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, OTF said:

I understand all that and perhaps Man City was a poor example. I just meant that I understand why this rule could make sense. What would stop an ownership group with the wealth of an oil state behind them circumventing rules about wages or transfer fees by spreading the costs over 5 or more clubs. In theory Man City have a giant pool of talent they could pull from. 12 clubs in City Group, with I've no idea how many players at each. Some in countries without FFP rules to restrict them. Theoretically Mumbai City FC could 'sign' a player on huge wages and immediately loan them to Man City, thus circumventing FFP and spreading wage costs. Is that really in the spirit of the sport? 

I agree that FFP is less about ensuring responsible club ownership and more about ringfencing the established elite, but this new vote isn't about FFP, not really. This proposed change to the rules is about other clubs trying to handicap us when we're struggling. If the shoe were on the other foot, if Man City were 12 players down and hadn't the depth throughout their youth squads to support the first team, how would you react to them lifting a erstwhile Premier League player from a UAE state owned team to help them out of the jam?

Man City have exploited this model for a while now tbf, Jack Harrison and Aaron Mooy were both transferred to Man City from other teams in the City Group for relatively low fees before being sold at a profit shortly after (the same window in Mooy’s case iirc). 

The constant rule changes that are clearly aimed at NUFC are becoming irritating tbh. 

• Like 2

So far our transformation had had very little to do with the fact we now have the richest owners in the world because of all the rules designed to constrain our spending. And yet we’re still challenging the established elite. The likes of Chelsea and Man U, who have spent a fortune, must be seething.

we’re obvs spending more than we could have dreamed of under Ashley but it’s not much relative to other clubs or compared to how much Chelsea and Man City spent when their takeovers went through 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

So far our transformation had had very little to do with the fact we now have the richest owners in the world because of all the rules designed to constrain our spending. And yet we’re still challenging the established elite. The likes of Chelsea and Man U, who have spent a fortune, must be seething.

we’re obvs spending more than we could have dreamed of under Ashley but it’s not much relative to other clubs or compared to how much Chelsea and Man City spent when their takeovers went through 

I think so far we've only really spent the money Ashley didn't spend (so all of it). At least the massive spending in the first couple of windows were simply FFP dosh Ashley didn't want to part with. The new commercial deals all really kicked in this season, and then we'll have another biggish one next year with Adidas - and I doubt we've spent all of that yet. Not to mention the extra prize money from the Champions League.

They are trying to hamstring us, but it just won't work. PIF own (or have fingers in) hundreds of other companies so if we can't have a stupidly high commercial deal with one of those companies because of the new rules, they'll just arrange 50 on fair market rate instead. Either way we'll end up with hundreds of millions of pounds to spend and they can do fuck all about it.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

I think so far we've only really spent the money Ashley didn't spend (so all of it). At least the massive spending in the first couple of windows were simply FFP dosh Ashley didn't want to part with. The new commercial deals all really kicked in this season, and then we'll have another biggish one next year with Adidas - and I doubt we've spent all of that yet. Not to mention the extra prize money from the Champions League.

They are trying to hamstring us, but it just won't work. PIF own (or have fingers in) hundreds of other companies so if we can't have a stupidly high commercial deal with one of those companies because of the new rules, they'll just arrange 50 on fair market rate instead. Either way we'll end up with hundreds of millions of pounds to spend and they can do fuck all about it.

yeah, they can slow us down but they can’t stop us.

And if Howe keeps improving players they way we he has to date we will continue to upset the elite through quality coaching and strategy rather than simply throwing money at it. It doesn’t bother me in the slightest. It makes our achievements all the more pleasing if anything.

The fact that the likes of Longstaff, Joelinton, Almiron, Schar and Lascelles have been some of our best players this season is frankly remarkable. We all gave these same players plenty of shit under the previous manager.

It would be less satisfying if we just threw unconstrained millions at it, the way Chelsea and Man City were able to.

And would we have the same spirit and unity if we had been allowed to take that approach? Chelsea have demonstrated how money alone won’t necessarily buy success. I don’t recall a Newcastle side with as few egos as the current squad, who work this hard for each other or who are as united. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, ohhh_yeah said:

If only we could purchase the men's national teams of Brazil & France. The fume would be glorious!

Also, somehow get Chris Rigg to drop his contract with the mackems in the bin, sign with us and them loan him out to Boro. They are proper obsessed with him despite him only being 15/16 - must be something in the water in Sunderland.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Also, somehow get Chris Rigg to drop his contract with the mackems in the bin, sign with us and them loan him out to Gateshead. They are proper obsessed with him despite him only being 15/16 - must be something in the water in Sunderland.

PIF should buy a stake in various firms that sponsor other premier league clubs and force them all to go through the same shit they're asking us to do.

This all feels fanciful from the PL to be honest because so far we've been entirely clean about this as far as I can tell, and in the end if we really wanted to start screwing them, we would find a way.

• Like 2