Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

46 minutes ago, Kitman said:

Szoboszlai sounds like something I’d say (or sing)when I’m very drunk

Sz in Hungarian is pronounced the same as an English S. Just an S in Hungarian is an English Sh. So it's 'Soboslai'.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, OTF said:

Madrid need him a hell of a lot more. Modric is 37, Kroos 33. They're surely going to have to sign someone up front too as Benzema is 35 and falling apart.

With him their midfield is basically sorted for the next 7 or 8 years, Bellingham, Camavinga, Tchouameni & Valverde.

Can see them going for Osimhen

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, OTF said:

Sz in Hungarian is pronounced the same as an English S. Just an S in Hungarian is an English Sh. So it's 'Soboslai'.

Thanks. It’s probably academic but he could have ‘typo’ as his nickname

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, OTF said:

I have, he's been talked about for many years because of how exciting an attacking player he is. He's the captain of the Hungarian team and has been in it since he was 17/18. He's 22 now. Has fantastic technique, good speed on the dribble, can hit a shot from distance, excellent composure, plenty of assists, takes set pieces and here's the kicker he's 6'1". Would honestly be a brilliant signing.

Aye he fits us well, though I'm not sure exactly what role he plays in our current system. Haidara makes more sense through that lens. 

That said, we've been linked with a few players now who play as a number 10, which is a role that doesn't exist in our current system but our style will have to continue evolving as we mature into being one of the "top 6" or whatever it'll be once we crash the party. So it does make some sense that in games with a deeper opposition we'd move more to a 4231 with a more out and out attacking midfielder in the middle than our current 433.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Aye he fits us well, though I'm not sure exactly what role he plays in our current system. Haidara makes more sense through that lens. 

That said, we've been linked with a few players now who play as a number 10, which is a role that doesn't exist in our current system but our style will have to continue evolving as we mature into being one of the "top 6" or whatever it'll be once we crash the party. So it does make some sense that in games with a deeper opposition we'd move more to a 4231 with a more out and out attacking midfielder in the middle than our current 433.

Agree with this, as we improve the way teams set up against us will change and we'll need more of the ability to unlock a compressed defense. Whilst Szoboszlai is great with a bit of space I still feel he has a very well rounded attacking passing game and the ability to hit a shot from distance that would serve us well even against a resolute defensive minded opposition. His size and mobility certainly mean he would fit in nicely with the squad. I'm not sure what his defensive contributions are like currently, he likes to push forward at every opportunity but his overall skillset and physical attributed mean he would be very versatile.

He will cost a lot in terms of the fee (he's contracted until 2026) but his wages would not be excessive (Estimated about £70k curently). I know there's just a few murmurings about this but I would be super excited if we got him in, it would be the perfect time in terms of his career progression and given we'll be able to offer Champions League football and a new league challenge. He's had Champions League at RB Leipzig but they're in fifth now and should they not qualify this season that could make him more likely to leave. Lock it up Dan.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

Can see them going for Osimhen

Glad we've got Isak sewn up, they missed the boat there! There was talk for years about them wanting to sign him.

9 hours ago, Kitman said:

Szoboszlai sounds like something I’d say (or sing)when I’m very drunk

Although I've never heard of him I did spell his name out last week when I had an eye test. :good:

• Haha 8

56 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Although I've never heard of him I did spell his name out last week when I had an eye test. :good:

I think it’s what Bill Cosby says after he’s administered the rohypnol. Zabazazoobie!

• Haha 4

He may not be comparable to Madison but I was really impressed with McAllister last night. His style of play would suit us well. Probably would cost at least £60m too

As well as Brighton are doing I think he will move onto pastures new

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, RobElliott said:

He may not be comparable to Madison but I was really impressed with McAllister last night. His style of play would suit us well. Probably would cost at least £60m too

As well as Brighton are doing I think he will move onto pastures new

IMO I would take him over Maddison

Edson Alvarez at Ajax has apparently been made available for 50 milion euros, we've been linked with him a fair bit over January and last summer.

Could see us being interested at that price considering the prices thrown around for other midfielders we're supposedly looking at.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

IMO I would take him over Maddison

There's something Stephen Irelandish about the way Maddison plays, which makes me doubt his reliability. I'd have Mac Allistor over him also, but would have Szoboszlai over both of the midgets.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Look at all these clever twats showing off their spelling prowess, have some empathy, Adam P would have to say it FFS 

Swowweswwy

• Haha 3

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season