Other Games 22/23

The bigger the gap back to 5th the better.

We've started back pretty well after the break. But now we'll be tested by missing Bruno for a few weeks. The bigger the gap to 5th the bigger the margin for error as we get into the back end of the season.

Top 4 is absolutely massive if we pull it off. Worth 100s of millions of pounds in revenue and sponsorship shenanigans.

That potentially advances the program by years in one hop. I'm also a City and Arsenal fan for the rest of the season. And even ManU eventually if they keep up the pace and stay with us rather than dropping back. 

Edited by toonotl
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, toonotl said:

The bigger the gap back to 5th the better.

We've started back pretty well after the break. But now we'll be tested by missing Bruno for a few weeks. The bigger the gap to 5th the bigger the margin for error as we get into the back end of the season.

Top 4 is absolutely massive if we pull it off. Worth 100s of millions of pounds in revenue and sponsorship shenanigans.

That potentially advances the program by years in one hop. I'm also a City and Arsenal fan for the rest of the season. And even ManU eventually if they keep up the pace and stay with us rather than dropping back. 

this is the logical way to think about it.

and yet I haven’t seen any evidence to suggest our form will slip up to the extent that we will fall out of the top four, or that the teams in the chasing pack are capable of catching us. it’s Brighton, if anyone, who look the most dangerous of the teams challenging for top four. 

what i’d really like to see is arsenal start dropping points 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

and yet I haven’t seen any evidence to suggest our form will slip up to the extent that we will fall out of the top four, or that the teams in the chasing pack are capable of catching us. it’s Brighton, if anyone, who look the most dangerous of the teams challenging for top four. 

After this weekend.

I’m fairly sure we’re not dropping out of the top 4, purely because of how good we are at the back. We’re simply not going to lose many games and if Isak and Wilson get firing together, that’s all we need. Especially if everyone around us begins to become inconsistent. We should be aiming as high as possible, especially considering after tonight, we’ll be level on games with the Manchester clubs and, potentially, one point ahead of them after Saturday. Stay the course, it’ll be a tough half a season but after the League Cup run has concluded, we’re back to only being in one competition while everyone else is juggling three.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Agreed. I mean I would be delighted with 4th and quite frankly pretty disappointed with 5th or less at this stage. But some of me just thinks..... maybe? I think Leicester doing the seemingly impossible has skewed my thinking on this but I can see parallels and us winning it wouldn't be as big a shock that tbh. This morning I looked back on this amazing streak ManU were supposedly on and in reality it isn't that impressive, they have won a lot of games by narrow margins which is why their goal difference is shit compared to ours. We have to play Arsenal, Spurs, Man United, and Liverpool at home and honestly I fancy a result in all those fixtures. We've won one and drawn the rest of the corresponding away fixtures (alright, Liverpool was a loss but shouldn't have been). Anyway, it's a cliche but all we have to do is focus on ourselves (with no FA cup or Europe to distract us). The other teams can take care of themselves. And a lot will depnd on our injuries and any signings we make. 

ALso looked at Man City's development when they were taken over. It surprised me how long it too them to establish themselves, we are miles ahead of them at this stage. Howe has done an amazing job. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I’m fairly sure we’re not dropping out of the top 4, purely because of how good we are at the back. We’re simply not going to lose many games and if Isak and Wilson get firing together, that’s all we need. Especially if everyone around us begins to become inconsistent. We should be aiming as high as possible, especially considering after tonight, we’ll be level on games with the Manchester clubs and, potentially, one point ahead of them after Saturday. Stay the course, it’ll be a tough half a season but after the League Cup run has concluded, we’re back to only being in one competition while everyone else is juggling three.

100%

the evidence suggests we’re going to be hard to overhaul. As long as we keep our defence together you just don’t worry about teams beating us. Feels mad saying it but watching this team is almost stress-free. If we score first I just feel we win because we don’t concede. 

I never thought before the season that we’d be this good, this soon, but I’m looking up the table to see how high we can finish rather than worrying about the teams below us.

the only thing I see derailing is a series of injuries to key players. A lot will depend on that and how many we bring in this month. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

Agreed. I mean I would be delighted with 4th and quite frankly pretty disappointed with 5th or less at this stage. But some of me just thinks..... maybe? I think Leicester doing the seemingly impossible has skewed my thinking on this but I can see parallels and us winning it wouldn't be as big a shock that tbh. This morning I looked back on this amazing streak ManU were supposedly on and in reality it isn't that impressive, they have won a lot of games by narrow margins which is why their goal difference is shit compared to ours. We have to play Arsenal, Spurs, Man United, and Liverpool at home and honestly I fancy a result in all those fixtures. We've won one and drawn the rest of the corresponding away fixtures (alright, Liverpool was a loss but shouldn't have been). Anyway, it's a cliche but all we have to do is focus on ourselves (with no FA cup or Europe to distract us). The other teams can take care of themselves. And a lot will depnd on our injuries and any signings we make. 

ALso looked at Man City's development when they were taken over. It surprised me how long it too them to establish themselves, we are miles ahead of them at this stage. Howe has done an amazing job. 

the lack of expectation is a massive advantage for us. If we finish top 6 it’s still a great season. No one expects us to finish top 4 - not even our own supporters - let alone win the title.

though I’m one of those, like you, who would be a little disappointed if we don’t finish top 4 now, just going on what we’ve watched so far. We’ve looked so comfortable, our form would have to really fall off for that to happen 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

the lack of expectation is a massive advantage for us. If we finish top 6 it’s still a great season. No one expects us to finish top 4 - not even our own supporters - let alone win the title.

though I’m one of those, like you, who would be a little disappointed if we don’t finish top 4 now, just going on what we’ve watched so far. We’ve looked so comfortable, our form would have to really fall off for that to happen 

I've got to say I thought 6th should've been where we were realistically aiming for as one of the inflated rich six usually has an average season and when you saw Man U in the last year or so you always knew they were eminently catchable, as it happens it's Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea who are struggling or in transition. It's a great opportunity which we look more than capable of taking advantage of, even pardew got fifth in a similar such season, the difference is we're a different animal as a club and won't be only signing an Anita or a Bowyer this time to 'strengthen' and letting one of the rich clubs back in. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Tom said:

Anita man :lol:

That lad had an arse you could balance a plant pot on.

It's true, he had some wierd hip anatomy that lad. I literally can't remember anything about Vernon Anita except he had a Kim Kardashian arse and walked like a duck. 

Edited by Renton
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Tom said:

Anita man :lol:

That lad had an arse you could balance a plant pot on.

Ah, Anita. :lol: Memories...... [Mist envelopes then slowly fades]......

Newcastle midfielder tells banned paper to stop making up stories about him

5 hours ago by Jim Robertson

Newcastle midfielder Vurnon Anita has used social media to hit back at press reports, which claim he has informed Newcastle United he is unhappy at being left out of the team and then told to ‘knuckle down’ by the club.

The Dutch international seemingly reacting to a story ran by the Chronicle this morning claiming inside knowledge as to what had allegedly transpired between player and club.

vurnon anitaThe Chronicle story had produced a large number of negative comments aimed at the player, after they claimed he’d kicked off with the club.

‘Vurnon Anita has been told to knuckle down and work hard if he wants to win his first-team place back at Newcastle United.

The Chronicle understands that Anita was unhappy after being left out of recent wins against Manchester City and Liverpool, and communicated his feelings to the club about the subject.

However, like all United players, Anita must now earn the right for a place in the side.’

Anita replying via Twitter;

“Stop making up story’s!! let’s keep on winning #NUFC’

The secret diary of Lee Ryder aged 44 and a half.

05/10/2014

Well diary, ah had a bit of a field trip today in the never ending quest to keep my readers up to date with all things black & white, where did ah gan, eh? St. James' Park? Benton training ground? a NUFC presser? Nah, none of that shit, Ryder's well ahead of the game, ah set off to the Metrocentre to kill two birds with one stone, one is to get some NUFC info, the other is to get me Mam something forra birthday. Ah walk into Nando's to get some scran and then eat and wait, ah wait to grab a surprise interview with the first player that I see in there. Ah'm no mug, ah knaa there'll be one along soon, there always is. Ah'm halfway through me Butterfly Burger, a freshly baked Portuguese roll loaded with skin-on, flame-grilled chicken breasts, topped with tomato and lettuce. It's big. It's available on its own or with 1 or 2 regular sides. Ah plumps for garlic bread and fries on the side and have the chicken extra hot as what's the point in being a fanny? Anyway, as ah says, ah'm halfway through it when bingo! Mehdi Abeid walks in! Ah grabs me plate and sits next to him, "Mehdi!, How's it going, mate? Great game the other day, mate! Fucking class you looked." Abeid starts to say something about fancying a Burger King instead and is about to make a sharp exit when ah have to interrupt him as ah spot a little black waiter walking past the table, "How! Chief! Can you give iz another bottle of Sagres beer? Cheers, Sinbad!" All of a sudden, the 'Waiter' stares at me and says, "IT'S YOU!!" Ah then look at him properly and fuck me, it's only Vurnon Anita! Bastard! Ah'd only written a story about him being sick at being dropped and kicking Pard's door down. It was my nark, Remi streete who told me but ah was only half listening and it turns out it was a pile of shite. Anyways, 'Big' Vurns doing his nut. "You are a dishgrashe to your profeshhhsion! How could I kick ze door down when I am only five foot four, for shure." I bite the bullet and leave hoping for better luck later on. I do however, manage to buy me Mam a nice vase from the Swarovski shop so it wasn't a totally wasted trip. The chicken butterfly was canny anarl. Laters.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

How do you think it would impact the strategy. Surely Eales and Ashworth were planning for a midtable/top half finish? All of the players they would have been scouting would be the kind to lift us from there, to challenging for Europe. Rather than pushing us as far into the CL competition as possible, right?

If it were me, I'd not really change plans that much. Keep looking for players that match Isak, Bruno, Botman's profile. Rather than someone like Harry Kane. If we finish in the CL, I'd honestly view it as a route to the UEFA Cup. If we get out the group and overachieve beyond the knockout stages? Great, but we shouldn't start strutting around like we're ready for CL. Our back up right back is Javier Manquillo, Jacob Murphy still gets a stack of game time. Lets not get ahead of ourselves, is what I'm saying.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

How do you think it would impact the strategy. Surely Eales and Ashworth were planning for a midtable/top half finish? All of the players they would have been scouting would be the kind to lift us from there, to challenging for Europe. Rather than pushing us as far into the CL competition as possible, right?

If it were me, I'd not really change plans that much. Keep looking for players that match Isak, Bruno, Botman's profile. Rather than someone like Harry Kane. If we finish in the CL, I'd honestly view it as a route to the UEFA Cup. If we get out the group and overachieve beyond the knockout stages? Great, but we shouldn't start strutting around like we're ready for CL. Our back up right back is Javier Manquillo, Jacob Murphy still gets a stack of game time. Lets not get ahead of ourselves, is what I'm saying.

if we qualify then it massively accelerates the recruitment plans for this summer. i don't think we go crazy this january chasing it. we don't need to. we're playing brilliantly week in week out. we only need a couple astute additions to strengthen the depth of the squad. no need to blow the bank at this stage. 

i think we continue as we are until we sign the big commercial deals, which will be much bigger if we do finish top 4

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ewerk said:

Fuck that, I want City to hammer Spurs.

Absolutely. Keeping the CL spot should obviously be our #1 priority. 

Looks like Man Utd have started getting their act together, for now anyway. The more Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool struggle the better.

8 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

if we qualify then it massively accelerates the recruitment plans for this summer. i don't think we go crazy this january chasing it. we don't need to. we're playing brilliantly week in week out. we only need a couple astute additions to strengthen the depth of the squad. no need to blow the bank at this stage. 

i think we continue as we are until we sign the big commercial deals, which will be much bigger if we do finish top 4

Im not sure about the recruitment acceleration after the finacial news yesterday. We're at the brink on waged at the moment and need to be smart. We need to use the CL to get commercial deals going so we're financially healthy enough to sustain CL challenging wages.

I hope our board dont get carried away by this season and just consider the CL a bonus if we do get there rather than going mad. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Im not sure about the recruitment acceleration after the finacial news yesterday. We're at the brink on waged at the moment and need to be smart. We need to use the CL to get commercial deals going so we're financially healthy enough to sustain CL challenging wages.

I hope our board dont get carried away by this season and just consider the CL a bonus if we do get there rather than going mad. 

Agreed but CL or not we’re getting a big commercial boost in the summer.

• Like 3