St James’ Park

Craig

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

was thinking the same, knock the fucker down after the gallowgate has been converted to a 30k kop end.

then rebuild the east stand, turning it into a modern, steep-as-fuck multi-tier grandstand with some extra corporate hospitality. i don't know how you do that without building back onto the road behind slightly, but if anyone can figure it out, it's the saudis 

Have a floating stand with seat harnesses, which tilts forward at kick off, then redocks with the main stand at half time and the end of the game. 

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

Higher stands will also reduce the risks of passing cars getting hit by Longstaff’s efforts. 

no risk of that when they’re still heading to the moon 

That council decision isn’t even dodgy imo. The reason for withholding public funds was legit (no affordable housing). The planning permission remained in place. It’s also fair enough to say significantly more attendees at the match is good for the local economy. I would guess a kop end would mean more than an additional 8000 seats? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alex said:

That council decision isn’t even dodgy imo. The reason for withholding public funds was legit (no affordable housing). The planning permission remained in place. It’s also fair enough to say significantly more attendees at the match is good for the local economy. I would guess a kop end would mean more than an additional 8000 seats? 

If we go for a Dortmund-scale kop, it would add 16k seats, which would be about perfect for us - 68k capacity 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

If we get an extra 8,000 seats….that won’t really improve the ticketing situation much at all. 

Which is hilarious..

It’ll help FFP though, since you can add back infrastructure and stadium improvements, and as we all know these big building projects tend to go way over on budget. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Howay said:

It’ll help FFP though, since you can add back infrastructure and stadium improvements, and as we all know these big building projects tend to go way over on budget. 

Yes, indeed. 

Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Have a floating stand with seat harnesses, which tilts forward at kick off, then redocks with the main stand at half time and the end of the game. 

I've had dreams like this. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Dougle said:

I think the grade I takes into account views and light amongst other things.

I would think a modern plexiglass stand would increase the light to a level more than what the current concrete block gives tbh.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

was thinking the same, knock the fucker down after the gallowgate has been converted to a 30k kop end.

then rebuild the east stand, turning it into a modern, steep-as-fuck multi-tier grandstand with some extra corporate hospitality. i don't know how you do that without building back onto the road behind slightly, but if anyone can figure it out, it's the saudis 

The issue with the east stand is that planning regulations have significantly tightened over the past 50 years. It almost certainly wouldn't get permission if the same plans were submitted today meaning that if we were to demolish it, we'd most likely end up building something smaller. 

BTW it's just dawned on me that thing is 50 years old this year. When I started going to matches, that was considered the 'new' stand! :blink:

• Haha 2

First game I went to I was sat in the east stand. It’s a bit of a concrete monstrosity which you would think would be replaced at sone point. But you’re going to gain very little, if anything, in terms of extra capacity unless it became a standing area or part of it did. So it’s waaay down the list in terms of priorities

Edited by Alex

Looking at the aerial photo and where Leazes terrace starts, would it not be possible to demolish 25/30/40% of the East stand and build the Gallowgate to L7 round to that point where the Terrace starts? 

I realise light space  might knacker it but maybe an idea to get a bit more in to the works.