Eddie’s title chasers against some league one outfit from Yorkshire

Dr Gloom

Just now, ewerk said:

As was said earlier, we don’t have the squad to fight on three fronts. I’m disappointed with the result but looking at the big picture it may benefit us.

Yeah fair enough 

An insanely frustrating watch still though. Reminder of how our league position shouldn't cloud the fact a lot of deadwood needs shipping. And how well Howe has done to get the others playing this well this quickly 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

What was the alternative though? Play largely the same team three times in a week? We are up against a League 1 side who this side should have been putting away easily.

The only benefit from tonight is that it should make it very clear which players need to be part of the summer clear out.

Putting Wilson on the bench instead of Wood would have been a start. As would starting Fraser over Murphy 

• Like 3

The silver lining is that Chris Wood has managed to cut his game time down significantly given he mainly plays the cup games. Fucking plank. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Class performance by Sheff Wed. Totally deserved that 

Aye, they looked like a side in form. They were nervous late on and rode a bit of luck, but fully deserve the win.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

If Wood had scored that chance, we probably would have gone on to win. 

Honestly though, after seeing this second string tonight, we don't need more games exposing us to more of this lot. I didn't want us to lose but I think it's for the best. 

The second string could have done with a confidence boost, it’s entirely down to them fucking it up

• Like 2

Just now, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Aye, could have easily got away with making 3/4 changes. Especially at the back where Lascelles is a liability these days

Think the problem was trying to play football from the back but with Manquillo, Lascelles and Lewis. Frankly none of them are good enough. I might be being harsh but I think we missed Pope. Their second is a great finish but I though Dubravka made it easy with his positioning. 

• Like 1

Wood and Murphy shouldn't kick a ball for us again on the basis of this performance alone

I'd say Lascelles too but can't remember how many times we've already said that about him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Isegrim said:

The second string could have done with a confidence boost, it’s entirely down to them fucking it up

I agree. They don't deserve for us to have to watch them again. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

If Wood had scored that chance, we probably would have gone on to win. 

Honestly though, after seeing this second string tonight, we don't need more games exposing us to more of this lot. I didn't want us to lose but I think it's for the best. 

Agreed. A bit of a reality check where it doesn't really hurt us. 

2 minutes ago, MMXXVIII said:

All I can take from this is it's ended the journey of a few players who should have had it ended for them a while back.

They'll take a while to clear out unfortunately, mostly just warm bodies for training in the meantime.

• Like 1

Fair play to Sheff Wed - agree with sentiments that we don't need this cup run anyway so not too broken up about it. It's embarassing and the players we used should still have been able to handle their opponents, but it's not like this is unchartered territory for us :lol:

Onwards we go - might even shake off any complacency.

• Like 2

We basically have a squad of 14 players because the rest is completely useless. I don't blame Howe. He has to rest some of them at some point and this was the only chance to do so. Not too upset. We all know we lack depth. It's a work in progress and we're progressing very nicely. 

• Like 2

Thing is, unless we get another forward in, with our other options, Wood is always just a sub away. It's been a very poor signing for way too much money but he needs to just move on. 

4 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

I never, ever want to see wood play for us again. ever.

he is beyond shite.

just fuck off.

and take murphy with you.

I thought Wood was awful. He works hard and got an assist but his hold up play and finishing are championship standard tbh. Murphy can come on and contribute to the press ad he’s quick and a good athlete. But he’s got absolutely zero composure in the final third. 

• Like 2

I’ve said it before but the fact that Anderson was the only young academy player even sniffing that squad today is a disgrace. These are games where, if you have a proper academy, you can throw some prospects in alongside the seasoned pros and give people a rest. The current crop are going to get nowhere. Another Ashley masterclass

• Like 7