Champions League - Would the positives outweigh the negatives?

Christmas Tree

I was watching a good discussion about this earlier and hadn't give much thought to the potential negatives of the competition.

Pro's

More cash from Sponsors

Bigger transfer budget in the summer

Able to attract better players

Cons

A big drain on next years Premier league push due to extra matches

Extra pressure on EH due to having no experience of European football, having to juggle 2 games a week and having to keep a bigger, more expensive squad happy.

Possible FFP problems that would arise by a more expensive wage bill and potentially struggling to reach top four next season.

I know as a fan I really just want us to qualify, but might EH and the club be in a stronger position if it came a year or so later?

Very important financially for the club to qualify. The squad will take care of itself with the extra income generated. Am sure if we do get in the top four we’ll be short somewhere in the squad come next August but there’s not point worrying about that iyam. Eddie will have a plan, he always does :D 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

Cons

So it would be good to not finish top 4 this season so we can mitigate the risk of not finishing top 4 next season? Got it. 

The challenges of managing a larger squad and fixture list will have to be dealt with regardless of whether its in 2023 or 2025. The only way of looking at this is that we'd be accelerating the project by a couple of years. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Bigger transfer budget if we qualify for the CL. Also we're definitely qualifying for Europe, so the extra games are a given now. So being in the better competition that pays more is a no brainer.

And finally, qualifying for the CL can't by itself bring FFP problems.

image.gif.3cdcac721edd7d2edf9aa5f43bdd493b.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

I was watching a good discussion about this earlier and hadn't give much thought to the potential negatives of the competition.

Pro's

More cash from Sponsors

Cons

Extra pressure on EH due to having no experience of European football, having to juggle 2 games a week and having to keep a bigger, more expensive squad happy.

Possible FFP problems that would arise by a more expensive wage bill and potentially struggling to reach top four next season.

I know as a fan I really just want us to qualify, but might EH and the club be in a stronger position if it came a year or so later?

Britney Spears Thinking GIF by MOODMAN

I thought you were getting the hang of this football malarkey?

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

Cons

People are forgetting Ashworths main job is to find and sign younger/youth players to strengthen the squad and youth teams. So the promise of possivle CL football/more opportunities to be in the first team squad make us more attractive than signing for Citeh or Chelsea where you basically sit in the stiffs or go out to a lower league club on loan.

Edited by sammynb
  • Like 1

Take it if it's there. Football is a fickle business. Only have to look at likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, West Ham, Leicester to see how fortunes can change season to season. 

17 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

Pro's

More cash from Sponsors

Cons

Your first Pro rules out your last con. The financial rewards for being a Champions League side with momentum behind us cannot be overstated. Rather than the modest uptick in sponsorship that a midtable 'big club' could attract, on a par with West Ham or Everton say, we can justifiably expect shirt sponsorship that is commensurate with Spurs. We can also expect official travel partners, official energy drink partners and that kind of thing. The extra money from Champions League tv is massive too. 

Not only can we attract better players, we won't have to sweeten the deal quite so much as we can offer elite level football, rather than just an extra £10k a week in their skyrocket. 

It may well impact our fairly small squad when we get to the business end of the season, but the early stages should be manageable with the younger players we've been signing like Ashby and our son-to-be fringe players like Murphy.

Your second Con makes me think of Potter. Rumours are that a lot of Chelsea players didn't really know who he was or what he had achieved and thus never took him seriously. It's different with Howe, he's managed to get genuine stars like Bruno and Botman and Trippier working together to drive the team forward as a collective, the other thing to consider is that our recruitment has a strict No Arsehole rule. Anyone we sign will have to be the kind of player that would gel with the existing squad in terms of application and Non Arseholeosity.

So dry your sheets mate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Your first Pro rules out your last con. The financial rewards for being a Champions League side with momentum behind us cannot be overstated. Rather than the modest uptick in sponsorship that a midtable 'big club' could attract, on a par with West Ham or Everton say, we can justifiably expect shirt sponsorship that is commensurate with Spurs. We can also expect official travel partners, official energy drink partners and that kind of thing. The extra money from Champions League tv is massive too. 

Not only can we attract better players, we won't have to sweeten the deal quite so much as we can offer elite level football, rather than just an extra £10k a week in their skyrocket. 

It may well impact our fairly small squad when we get to the business end of the season, but the early stages should be manageable with the younger players we've been signing like Ashby and our son-to-be fringe players like Murphy.

Your second Con makes me think of Potter. Rumours are that a lot of Chelsea players didn't really know who he was or what he had achieved and thus never took him seriously. It's different with Howe, he's managed to get genuine stars like Bruno and Botman and Trippier working together to drive the team forward as a collective, the other thing to consider is that our recruitment has a strict No Arsehole rule. Anyone we sign will have to be the kind of player that would gel with the existing squad in terms of application and Non Arseholeosity.

So dry your sheets mate.

Sold / end thread 

• 5 months later...
On 05/04/2023 at 08:36, Christmas Tree said:

Cons

:banana:

• Haha 4