Eddie’s One Man Dugout Wonderboys vs. Fag Ash Lil’s Wall Pushing Disappointments.

Monkeys Fist

We feel like a Jekyll and Hyde team.

We played our best football last season when we attacked as a unit with a high press. First half of the Spurs game was a perfect example. Brighton game too. Villa a couple of weeks ago. 

We seem to play completely differently against the "big teams". Ie: the cup final, Man City last week, 2nd half yesterday. We were ponderous, no movement, loads of sideways and backwards passes.

Now I get that you can't go all out attack against teams like city. But if we'd continued playing "our" game yesterday, we would have won 2 or 3-0. Salah never had a kick all game. TAA was terrified to make a tackle. Pope had one save to make in the first 80mins. 

Cos we'd sat on our laurels at 1-0, they were always going to chuck on some attackers with 10mins to go and try to nick a draw. A bit of luck sees the ball bounce off Botman's arse and it's 1-1. We then shit ourselves, Bruno plays a suicidal pass in his own half, Burn is 5yds behind the back line and we've fucked it.

I hate to say it, but Howe got his tactics wrong. We should have been turning the screw. Keep Gordon on. Chuck Wilson up front with Isak and make them defend with 10 men behind the ball for the rest of the game. 

I'd be tempted to bring Willock in for Bruno if he's fit. He got away with being caught in possession a few times last season. It's starting to catch up with him now. Anderson or Murphy deserve a chance over Almiron too. 

Brighton is going to be another test. They will be wounded after conceding 3 yesterday. Surely Howe doesn't start the same XI 3 games in a row?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Hmmm…🤔

https://x.com/danielstorey85/status/1695829160466288960?s=46&t=Ob2-o4XW2OqBfdaNO_UQnQ

fuckin no chance of that but it’s a good point. Can they still tag a game on for a “frivolous appeal” or whatever the fuck they call it?…

Said it during the game. He told the official to fuck off. He should have two games on top but we all know the FA etc don't have the bottle 

32 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Reading why Gordon and Sandro got taken off I understand why if they were totally gassed,   It's a very long season and with so many new experiences for a lot of the players with CL football

I feel like it's very possible that players get told they are likely to play 60 minutes and then be subbed off so that they can go all out knowing this. The problem is you're not always replacing like with like. I know Eddie is trying to build a style of play that can have players slot in and out based on availability and not bring about too much change to our high pressing play, but the reality is the levels of players are quite different and you need those playing together to be on the same wavelength.

For me Elliot Anderson needs to be bedded in more against lesser opposition. Longstaff I would expect to come on and fit in, but tough when the other midfielders also change. It's easy with hindsight but it sure didn't seem like we were pressing to our usual extent whilst we were 1-0 up with an extra man and so I can't stomach the idea that either Gordon or Tonali had to come off because they were gassed. I didn't see any indication of that. Joelinton was still somehow not on a yellow and was everywhere replacing him and the also excellent Tonali with Anderson and Longstaff was a massive defensive drop in quality and also a significant drop in attack too. Isak was off so swapping in Wilson was the right move.

Almiron wasn't unique amongst the team in being spotty at best (Trippier, Bruno and Burn were also well below their best) but was a clear choice for a swap for Barnes over the best player on the pitch to that point, Gordon. Barnes will be ruing how poorly he did when we had a huge overlap and plenty of space but failed to make anything of it. That should have been 2-0 and the end of the contest. Beyond that it was extremely unlucky the way the ball deflected off Botman's back into his leg and right in front of Nunez. Without that stroke of luck we likely hold on for the win. Once they got the first we were pushing too high with slower players who don't have the recovery ability to defend the counter. Bruno's turnover was inexcusable, but the fact that Burn was so far back and isolated against the much faster and totally fresh Nunez made it seem almost inevitable that they would score.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

We feel like a Jekyll and Hyde team.

We played our best football last season when we attacked as a unit with a high press. First half of the Spurs game was a perfect example. Brighton game too. Villa a couple of weeks ago. 

We seem to play completely differently against the "big teams". Ie: the cup final, Man City last week, 2nd half yesterday. We were ponderous, no movement, loads of sideways and backwards passes.

Now I get that you can't go all out attack against teams like city. But if we'd continued playing "our" game yesterday, we would have won 2 or 3-0. Salah never had a kick all game. TAA was terrified to make a tackle. Pope had one save to make in the first 80mins. 

Cos we'd sat on our laurels at 1-0, they were always going to chuck on some attackers with 10mins to go and try to nick a draw. A bit of luck sees the ball bounce off Botman's arse and it's 1-1. We then shit ourselves, Bruno plays a suicidal pass in his own half, Burn is 5yds behind the back line and we've fucked it.

I hate to say it, but Howe got his tactics wrong. We should have been turning the screw. Keep Gordon on. Chuck Wilson up front with Isak and make them defend with 10 men behind the ball for the rest of the game. 

I'd be tempted to bring Willock in for Bruno if he's fit. He got away with being caught in possession a few times last season. It's starting to catch up with him now. Anderson or Murphy deserve a chance over Almiron too. 

Brighton is going to be another test. They will be wounded after conceding 3 yesterday. Surely Howe doesn't start the same XI 3 games in a row?

I agree. But I'd add that in this fixture last year, we tried that and it backfired spectacularly. So I think that may have played on Howe's mind. I couldn't understand why we didn't go for the jugular when they were down ro 10 though.

13 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Bin dipper at working giving it all mouth. It's OK pal. I've got a nice site survey I'm going to send you to next week in Bristol. Cunt

This post got me thinking last night and thought I’d sleep on it and give it due consideration.

However my initial opinion holds true, In my 45 year career, I’ve worked all over this country and I never met/worked with a Liverpool fan who wasn’t a cunt.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

agree with Caulkin. This felt like old Newcastle. Almost like watching the England team in a similar situation. Taking the foot off the throat in the final 20 minutes of the game, trying to see out a 1-0 win and instead allowing them back in 

I was 7 when we won the fairs cup, I have only the faintest of memory of this. 

I remember vividly '74 '76, blowing the title run in, the late 90s cup finals, semi finals domestically and in marseille. the loss to belgrade..all fucking traumatic examples of failing to show up for the big occasions or acting like rabbits in a cars headlights.

febuary's league cup final, the man city no show and yesterday's fucking abject failure to take advantage of 10 man liverpool was both inexcusable and crushing.

the old newcastle has never gone away, it feels like it probably never will.  :( 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

I remember vividly '74 '76, blowing the title run in, the late 90s cup finals, semi finals domestically and in marseille. the loss to belgrade..all fucking traumatic examples of failing to show up for the big occasions or acting like rabbits in a cars headlights.

febuary's league cup final, the man city no show and yesterday's fucking abject failure to take advantage of 10 man liverpool was both inexcusable and crushing.

the old newcastle has never gone away, it feels like it probably never will.  :( 

Perspective mate. This was  one league match. I can remember several times ManU were battered under Ferguson. He'd get them back to winning the next game. We learn lessons, we move on. We are not defined by our past.

Edited by Renton
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, sammynb said:

Sorry but that is rubbish, if TAA had gone for that blatant second yellow, the game would have changed then and it is unlikely VVD would have fouled Isak.

As others have said the subs caused the loss, Isak also looked lost while he was on the pitch. Howe needs to be braver and play Wilson up top and find a way to get Isak into the team, maybe play him instead of Miggy on the right but just having inverted winger who can run with the ball is making our attack predictable. 

The statement was more a reference/ implication to the fact TAA should have been sent off rather than a direct statement that I thought they would have 9 players on the pitch. 

I agree about your statement that VVD may not have fouled Isak but that would have then led to a goal and we would be very likley 2-0 which would have been a step too far, psychologically, for them and how wobbly they were at that point. On the other hand, the full game was changed by decisions that people choose to make that are wrong. 

I do agree that the game was lost on the subs which is what I have said in another post. I don't think Howe had a great game for us yesterday and I am glad that I am able to acknowledge this. We have a brilliant manager who, I think, got it wrong. On reflection,  I am really annoyed by the game, the lost opportunity and the fact that it was down to us and not them. This is the first time that I have felt like this under Howe and I hope, and believe, that, although it won't be the only time that I feel like this, it will be in the minority of games that he manages us. 

I think football can be rubbish at times and this is one of them. 

I do agree that it would not have been 9 actual players though.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Renton said:

Perspective mate. This was  one league match. I can remember several times ManU were battered under Ferguson. He'd get them back to winning the next game. We learn lessons, we move on. We are not defined by our past.

Aye. Losing to good teams by 1 goal is preferable to shipping 5 or 6 like we used to 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thebrokendoll said:

Disagree. It’s going to take a while for us as fans to believe our time is coming. Or that we’re good enough to mix it with the “elite” clubs. 

That is probably the case for the players and coaching staff too. But good times are coming. There’s no question about it. We massively overachieved last season. We may need to take a couple of steps back before we step forward. We may not. We should have won yesterday but it’s no disgrace to lose to Liverpool and Man City. We usually lose to both of them. We go again. Let’s see where we are in 10 games time 

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Disagree. It’s going to take a while for us as fans to believe our time is coming. Or that we’re good enough to mix it with the “elite” clubs. 

That is probably the case for the players and coaching staff too. But good times are coming. There’s no question about it. We massively overachieved last season. We may need to take a couple of steps back before we step forward. We may not. We should have won yesterday but it’s no disgrace to lose to Liverpool and Man City. We usually lose to both of them. We go again. Let’s see where we are in 10 games time 

I've been waiting for the good times to come for well over half a century. I hope you're right.

you're right, losing away to man city isn't a disgrace, it's perfectly valid though to be disappointed by the no show in the first half. yesterday was different, if disgrace is the wrong word, it should be replaced by pathetic, abject failure. they're not even that good.

• Like 1

Last season we drew a lot of games in early Autumn, and then again in January /February. If we can convert more of them into wins, we can afford to lose a couple more. That's why yesterday even in extra time I was willing us to roll the dice and go for the winner. Didn't work obviously but a point is not much better than nothing. 

16 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

I've been waiting for the good times to come for well over half a century. I hope you're right.

you're right, losing away to man city isn't a disgrace, it's perfectly valid though to be disappointed by the no show in the first half. yesterday was different, if disgrace is the wrong word, it should be replaced by pathetic, abject failure. they're not even that good.

Yesterday hurt but the day Liverpool are in the rear view mirror is coming. It'll be all the sweeter when it does come for how hard they tried to fight it off (and IMO they really are desperate to do so).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GrahamTaylor5 said:

The statement was more a reference/ implication to the fact TAA should have been sent off rather than a direct statement that I thought they would have 9 players on the pitch. 

I agree about your statement that VVD may not have fouled Isak but that would have then led to a goal and we would be very likley 2-0 which would have been a step too far, psychologically, for them and how wobbly they were at that point. On the other hand, the full game was changed by decisions that people choose to make that are wrong. 

I do agree that the game was lost on the subs which is what I have said in another post. I don't think Howe had a great game for us yesterday and I am glad that I am able to acknowledge this. We have a brilliant manager who, I think, got it wrong. On reflection,  I am really annoyed by the game, the lost opportunity and the fact that it was down to us and not them. This is the first time that I have felt like this under Howe and I hope, and believe, that, although it won't be the only time that I feel like this, it will be in the minority of games that he manages us. 

I think football can be rubbish at times and this is one of them. 

I do agree that it would not have been 9 actual players though.

Thanks for that but again hate to point out but if TAA had of been sent off, the through ball for Isak would not have happened, everything would have been competely different, that's how time works.

Agree about pretty much everything else but no use looking backward - onward and forward.

• Like 1

https://x.com/hitmanharj/status/1695840791812243538?s=46&t=ytLiTTx5wmuNZJztyLjiJg

Stunning that these morons can’t fucking read :lol:. Trying to argue it wasn’t a red card by citing the rule about penalties the total fucking muppets. How the fuck is anyone arguing this? They keep saying he played the ball as if that has anything to do with whether it’s a red or not :lol: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howay said:

https://x.com/hitmanharj/status/1695840791812243538?s=46&t=ytLiTTx5wmuNZJztyLjiJg

Stunning that these morons can’t fucking read :lol:. Trying to argue it wasn’t a red card by citing the rule about penalties the total fucking muppets. How the fuck is anyone arguing this? They keep saying he played the ball as if that has anything to do with whether it’s a red or not :lol: 

I don’t think he actually got the ball though, just took Isak out then, like the utter cunt he is, gestured for him to get up. 

Still can't believe what happened yesterday. 

All in all you just have to put it down to experience now and move on. Howe will definitely be sending out the same message and hoepfully learning from it himself too. We lost the same fixtures last season as well. What's clear is we now have a stronger squad and very much the ability to repeat last season. 

The target should be finish in the CL places and have a decent run in the CL/Cups. That would be another fantastic season, and there's no reason why we still can't do that.

There will be more of these hiccups as we play these fixtures under increasing scrutiny and spotlight, as we're expected to compete rather than roll over. By God though, still can't believe what we did yesterday :lol: 

• Like 1

Somebody mentioned Willock and that's a good shout, he was a very important, often underrated part of the side last season. Not that he alone would have changed much, too many things went wrong yesterday. 

• Like 1