Selling a big name

Kid Dynamite

Who would you sell to raise transfer funds?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 4 of them would bring in any sort of decent cash for me. 

Botman, Bruno, Joelinton and Isak. 

I'll pick Wilson to avoid having to pick one of them. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

This is all bullshit for me because we shouldn't be looking to sell. But ... there's no way Wilson, Schar or Pope would command big enough money to give us the sort of wiggle room we're after in the market. Willock too is no guarantee given the disruption to his season.

What could we realistically hope to get for Wilson? And from who? He's a massive risk for anyone looking to buy a striker. Unless we ship him off to Saudi.

I put Bruno for a few reasons. Firstly, there appears to be a desire from some truly massive clubs to bring him in so there's buyers. Secondly, there's a minimum release clause in place that shuts down much of the bullshit about what he's to be sold for if he were to be sold. If he were sold for around 100m we could reinvest an enormous amount (4x/5x the transfer fee or so when considering amortisation) to get 3-4 players of potentially his quality into the club in multiple positions. That is actually a potential game-changer. Selling anyone else is not in the same ballpark and not to be considered the type of game-changer that selling Bruno would be. (Apart from Isak, but I think Isak is actually completely off the table because for the most part strikers are more difficult and more expensive to replace.)

Mind you, I'm not convinced that selling someone is on our agenda (unless it is for ridiculous money). I think we are still nowhere near our revenue ceiling with more money to come in from sponsorships for this that and the other. Hopefully, we can hold off for a few more seasons and keep building the squad before we start thinking about selling off one of our key assets.

We should sell Matt Ritchie to Al-Oilalala FC for 80m. Then invest 20m in lawyers and the rest in the squad. Easy peasy.

• Like 5

Can I ask a daft question of those who've read up on FFP? 

I think two summers ago when they bought Richarlison, Spurs owners but 150m of equity in to "fund squad development" as it was put at the time. 

Why can't we or anyone else for that matter just put 500m in on those terms? 

The only one who goes is Bruno if someone activated his £110m release clause. I’d be gutted and I hope it’s all a smokescreen ahead of more canny loan signings and crafty sponsorships

So I'm a bit behind here, are definitely selling a big name this window? Not waiting until the summer? 

If so, the question then is answered by which club would pay the most money for a player position they are in desperate need of. 

If FFP has forced us into being a selling club with the richest owners in the world what is the fucking point btw. 

2014: Brendan Rodgers is Liverpool manager. He wants a new striker as he’s just sold Suarez to Barcelona. He gets Mario Balotelli 

2015: Steven Gerrard leaves, goes to MLS

2018: Klopp is manager, he sells Coutinho to Barca and signs VVD & Allison. 

2019: Liverpool win champions league 

2020: Liverpool win league title 

So Liverpool had to beat Man City and Chelsea to get these two big prizes at the end. 6 years on from a massive downgrade in selling Suarez and bringing in Balotelli who’d already been deemed not good enough at Man City. The Liverpool squad in 14/15 beggars belief tbh: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014–15_Liverpool_F.C._season

I don’t know where you put us in that timeline but it’s either 2014 or not long after. I personally don’t buy the sensationalist headlines from Hope et al. That’s not really what Eales said in the interview. What I’m trying to say is I suppose we need to have some patience and certainly don’t take things in the media at face value. If Bruno does get sold we’re going to have his replacement (he may actually be at the club already) and proper improvement on others lined up. This is now a professional outfit. I’ve put the LFC timeline up and shown how quickly (or slowly depending how you look at it) things can turn round…. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Renton said:

So I'm a bit behind here, are definitely selling a big name this window? Not waiting until the summer? 

If so, the question then is answered by which club would pay the most money for a player position they are in desperate need of. 

If FFP has forced us into being a selling club with the richest owners in the world what is the fucking point btw. 

Yeah. You’d imagine if we’re taking PiF at their word they’re challenging that in the courts as anti competitive very soon. But there’s no indication whatsoever that they’re even thinking about it…

1 hour ago, NJS said:

Can I ask a daft question of those who've read up on FFP? 

I think two summers ago when they bought Richarlison, Spurs owners but 150m of equity in to "fund squad development" as it was put at the time. 

Why can't we or anyone else for that matter just put 500m in on those terms? 

Not aware of the Spurs case but FFP prescribes the maximum losses a club can make. Owner equity doesn't help with that as it's a cash injection and not income in accounting terms. So basically the more revenue/income you generate, the more you can spend before a loss in incurred. Which is why it clearly serves to close shop for the 'big' clubs that already have huge income streams. How much cash PIF can invest is meaningless right now. Also why not having many players we can realistically sell is a problem as player sales are also income. 

I think.

Voted Wilson but can’t see his sale generating enough to fund any decent incomings….we need to keep all of the others mentioned though, above Wilson. Probably gonna be a case of getting through till the end of this season, then look at signings. I’ve as much clue about FFP as I have about Astro Physics ffs.image.gif.0562a43678a70d2e9a9aeb970eb95cc7.gif

It's honestly a sad state of affairs when you have to know the difference between a balance sheet item, such as owner's equity, and how that differs from a P&L item just to support a football club. It's proper revenge of the nerds shit. FFP is complete bullshit for many reasons but for making accountants relevant to discussions about football ... that is unforgiveable. LeazesMag was ahead of his time.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

2014: Brendan Rodgers is Liverpool manager. He wants a new striker as he’s just sold Suarez to Barcelona. He gets Mario Balotelli 

2015: Steven Gerrard leaves, goes to MLS

2018: Klopp is manager, he sells Coutinho to Barca and signs VVD & Allison. 

2019: Liverpool win champions league 

2020: Liverpool win league title 

So Liverpool had to beat Man City and Chelsea to get these two big prizes at the end. 6 years on from a massive downgrade in selling Suarez and bringing in Balotelli who’d already been deemed not good enough at Man City. The Liverpool squad in 14/15 beggars belief tbh: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014–15_Liverpool_F.C._season

I don’t know where you put us in that timeline but it’s either 2014 or not long after. I personally don’t buy the sensationalist headlines from Hope et al. That’s not really what Eales said in the interview. What I’m trying to say is I suppose we need to have some patience and certainly don’t take things in the media at face value. If Bruno does get sold we’re going to have his replacement (he may actually be at the club already) and proper improvement on others lined up. This is now a professional outfit. I’ve put the LFC timeline up and shown how quickly (or slowly depending how you look at it) things can turn round…. 

Superb reply PL. 

Like you Hope is totally blowing up what was said and getting clicks the miserable cunt. 

No doubt in time we will have to sell, but I trust the club to do the right thing and reinvest in the right areas. 

• Like 4

Trent was part of their youth set-up wasn’t he? 
Anyway, re the spurs thing and cash injection, didn’t we already do that with the issuing of a single share? I can’t quite remember the details but you’re able to do that, up to certain limit within a certain timescale. I think that’s 3 years, which I also think ties in with FFP, which is a rolling 3 year thing iirc. I don’t think we’ve reached our limit, so could feasibly do it again. And that’s without impacting FFP. No doubt someone will put me right if I’m talking shite (wouldn’t be the first time), but that’s my vague understanding 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

That Liverpool side was honking mind. 

They recruited well with the likes of TAA, Robertson, Salah, Mane, Firminho, VVD, Allison 

Salah was another one Ashley rejected wasn't he?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Yeah. You’d imagine if we’re taking PiF at their word they’re challenging that in the courts as anti competitive very soon. But there’s no indication whatsoever that they’re even thinking about it…

I have suspicions the whole Saudi league loan business (started by Ashworth's comments) and the PL quick rule change attempt, was part of a building a case exercise.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

I have suspicions the whole Saudi league loan business (started by Ashworth's comments) and the PL quick rule change attempt, was part of a building a case exercise.

I definitely got that impression too. Giving them enough rope came to mind. :good:

• Like 4