General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

7 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

On a similar theme I came across this the other day :cuppa:

Well that Pentangle vid gave me a sudden urge to drink real ale, wear corduroy trousers and a turtle neck sweater, and to stop washing 😀

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Kitman said:

Well that Pentangle vid gave me a sudden urge to drink real ale, wear corduroy trousers and a turtle neck sweater, and to stop washing 😀

Don’t you live in New Zealand though? :lol: 

• Haha 3

By total coincidence, Holmes opened for the Yardbirds in 1967, when Page was in them. 
Not like Led Zep don’t have a rich history of nicking other people’s songs. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

On a similar theme I came across this the other day :cuppa:

Sorry, I'm not having that. That Stone Roses album though, my God what a revelation that was to me. I remember someone gave it to me as a casette tape which I played in my g/f's car (wife now) as we drove from Liverpool back home. It caught the zeitgest perfectly, felt like a new era after this. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Renton said:

Sorry, I'm not having that. That Stone Roses album though, my God what a revelation that was to me. I remember someone gave it to me as a casette tape which I played in my g/f's car (wife now) as we drove from Liverpool back home. It caught the zeitgest perfectly, felt like a new era after this. 

Neil Kulkarni is an ex melody maker hack and hates any sort of thing that could be loosely termed “lad rock” and he’s right about some of it but he then sneers at its fans in a really condescending way. Good writer but a musical snob from Coventry is  a fairly ridiculous thing to be :lol:   he’s great on other things, most notably and obviously The Specials . 

Hes good on this podcast I keep wanging on about (I think spongebob is giving it a go) they’re all ex melody maker hacks and it’s often very fuckin funny. They’re music critics, they’re literally paid for their self important opinions on stuff that’s not properly important in life but you can sometimes feel the seething bitterness they hold towards their subject matter , one of them is Taylor Parkes and he’s so dark he makes Frankie Boyle seem like Larry Grayson, it’s fuckin great… :D

I’m no Ed Sheeran fan and he’s done more to completely sterilise what people think singer-songwriters actually are than most with his three-note, greeting card bullshit but getting sued for using the same chord progression as a Marvin Gaye song is a bit much :lol: the estate of whoever came up with the twelve bar blues is due some real cash if that’s the case

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I’m no Ed Sheeran fan and he’s done more to completely sterilise what people think singer-songwriters actually are than most with his three-note, greeting card bullshit but getting sued for using the same chord progression as a Marvin Gaye song is a bit much :lol: the estate of whoever came up with the twelve bar blues is due some real cash if that’s the case

I didn't see the fairness in the Gaye vs Thicke/Williams suit over blurred lines either. It seemed like the Gaye estate was claiming copyright over the vibe of Gaye’s original as they didnt sound that similar to my layman’s ears. It must be tough to come up with something truly original these days, when there are only 8 notes to choose

from and decades of predecessors….and soul destroying to get sued by a deceased artist.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Kitman said:

Apparently Ed Sheeran will stop making music if he loses the current court case over copying Marvin Gaye’s music.

It’s debatable whether he ever started making music. However on behalf of music lovers everywhere, may I say please please please win for us Marvin….it’s the only thing that will save us from another 30 years of annoying but forgettable beige pop songs.

Bad news mate- he won. :lol:

Couldn’t name you an Ed Sheeran record like. I’ve seen the one on the news regarding this case about 3 times recently and I’ve already forgotten it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Couldn’t name you an Ed Sheeran record like. I’ve seen the one on the news regarding this case about 3 times recently and I’ve already forgotten it. 

So did he

• Haha 1

On 04/05/2023 at 19:23, Alex said:

What about?

On 04/05/2023 at 19:26, Monkeys Fist said:

Smells a bit spirity to me. 

And it turns out they all ripped it from the Damned.

• Like 2