General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

And also, look on the bright side. The redundancy’s an opportunity. The house stuff’s a ball ache but it’s definitely better finding it out now and sorting than a big leak in the dead of winter. And, like me granny from Walker used to say, the sun shines on the righteous so have a few bevvies in the gorgeous sunshine for your birthday. Also, please allow me to apologise on behalf of the UK civil service ;) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

Well I'm fifty today, alongside the birthday cards was a letter through the door from work giving me my official notice of redundancy......

The Office Sarcasm GIF

..... And then a potential problem confirmed by the missus step dad, (who was a builder), whilst he was around with the MiL, water's getting into the house as a small part of the paved brickwork is near the damp proof course and isn't flowing away in the opposite direction coupled with the rendering we got done a couple of years ago going over some lead flashing near the roof which directed the water away from our extension and into the guttering so it's coming down the wall instead onto said dodgy paving. Perfect storm and that.....

Sarcastic Happy Birthday GIF by chuber channel

P.S.

Also got an email from the careers service woman informing me, (after I'd emailed her last week wondering what was happening with a course I'd applied for months ago?) that the DWP knocked back my application last month but the DWP bloke, the bloke at work seconded to this and herself didn't bother letting me know. Great. Why would I want to know that? :lol:

Happy Birthday and commiserations

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

Well I'm fifty today, alongside the birthday cards was a letter through the door from work giving me my official notice of redundancy......

The Office Sarcasm GIF

..... And then a potential problem confirmed by the missus step dad, (who was a builder), whilst he was around with the MiL, water's getting into the house as a small part of the paved brickwork is near the damp proof course and isn't flowing away in the opposite direction coupled with the rendering we got done a couple of years ago going over some lead flashing near the roof which directed the water away from our extension and into the guttering so it's coming down the wall instead onto said dodgy paving. Perfect storm and that.....

Sarcastic Happy Birthday GIF by chuber channel

P.S.

Also got an email from the careers service woman informing me, (after I'd emailed her last week wondering what was happening with a course I'd applied for months ago?) that the DWP knocked back my application last month but the DWP bloke, the bloke at work seconded to this and herself didn't bother letting me know. Great. Why would I want to know that? :lol:

Happy Birthday HMHM

Happy Birthday GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

Bad news mate. Splash strips aren't part of building regs apparently, but if water is getting in at ground level you could always put one in yourself. Pull out a row of bricks/paving slabs that touch your house and replace with gravel

IMG_4689.jpeg.6c43c75b8928df78d194aefbb8d59f37.jpeg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Bad news mate. Splash strips aren't part of building regs apparently, but if water is getting in at ground level you could always put one in yourself. Pull out a row of bricks/paving slabs that touch your house and replace with gravel

yes we can GIF

👍 

• Haha 4

My builder went bankrupt half way through my build, didn't tell me, kept taking the money. Fortunately he finished most the job but bits were uncompleted I had to pay out of pocket. But he cut corners including using his constantly stoned son as a plumber. Now the new en suites toilet spoil is leaking into the extended kitchen, requiring the ceiling to come down. The builder cunt has a phoenix company but we're left literally in the shit. 

Anyway, just stuff you have to get on with, not important ateotd. Happy belated birthday HMHM, I am sure your employment situation will be a blessing in disguise. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

We're going to try and fix the roof situation on Monday first, he's bringing a grinder and I'll have to try and cut away some of the rendering to get down to the lead flashing and put it right but I'll have to convince the almost 80 year old to let me do it as he can be hard work and thinks he's still my age. Afterwards we we might tank the small area around the house plus make sure there's a better gradient when putting the bricks back down. I looked last night and saw your suggestion so will see what he thinks but the area affected is relatively small.  

41 minutes ago, Renton said:

My builder went bankrupt half way through my build, didn't tell me, kept taking the money. Fortunately he finished most the job but bits were uncompleted I had to pay out of pocket. But he cut corners including using his constantly stoned son as a plumber. Now the new en suites toilet spoil is leaking into the extended kitchen, requiring the ceiling to come down. The builder cunt has a phoenix company but we're left literally in the shit. 

Anyway, just stuff you have to get on with, not important ateotd. Happy belated birthday HMHM, I am sure your employment situation will be a blessing in disguise. 

That's a disgrace, Rents. I've been fairly lucky for stuff like this, any mistakes or discovering unknown problems halfway through the job has been sorted. Most stuff I've had done in the past is people either I know or people who know the FiL. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Ah, I forgot this forum was full of Beta cucks that don't know a pozi drive from a phillips head ;) 

Ah yes, you of course being the board’s alpha male (nurse).

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Wouldn't have expected anything else but a real good straight edge. :good:

• Haha 5

On a completely unrelated note and getting back to my redundancy, here's a puzzler for everyone. All the tax breaks these cunts have been keen on for certain people despite spreading austerity for everyone else but one tax non-break that sticks out like a sore thumb yet I've never heard anyone mention it is the tax fee redundancy payment being the same today as it was when I was made redundant from S&N in 2007! It hasn't changed and is still at £30,000. Now people might think what's the problem but this is a potential company payment, not a government one and you're ultimately losing your job to get it. If a company decides to give you a decent redundancy payment these cunts have obviously not put the tax free limit up for at least 16 years, (I'm pretty sure it's longer than that as well although a quick look isn't conclusive) because, why? Is it their dogma that the more money the plebs get, the more likely they'll want to stay out of work? It's funny what tax breaks they're interested in and which ones they're not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

We're going to try and fix the roof situation on Monday first, he's bringing a grinder and I'll have to try and cut away some of the rendering to get down to the lead flashing and put it right but I'll have to convince the almost 80 year old to let me do it as he can be hard work and thinks he's still my age. Afterwards we we might tank the small area around the house plus make sure there's a better gradient when putting the bricks back down. I looked last night and saw your suggestion so will see what he thinks but the area affected is relatively small.  

That's a disgrace, Rents. I've been fairly lucky for stuff like this, any mistakes or discovering unknown problems halfway through the job has been sorted. Most stuff I've had done in the past is people either I know or people who know the FiL. 

I remember at the time they were installing this (there's a beam that goes across the entire kitchen containing soil pipes, water pipes and electrics) thinking it would be a nightmare if one of these starts leaking. And lo and behold, that's exactly what happened 2 weeks ago. New plumber has fixed it but I'm a grand down and now have to redecorate. Tbh the house never really got finished as I just lost the energy and finance to complete it, and finally lost interest as people dying or nearly dying (including myself) took on greater importance. 

I've no contacts and J69 is right I'm a beta cuck, can't even hold a drill. My philosophy has always been to earn more so I can pay other people to do these jobs but that's gone a bit wrong recently as I think most plumbers are on a bigger wedge than me. :D

43 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

On a completely unrelated note and getting back to my redundancy, here's a puzzler for everyone. All the tax breaks these cunts have been keen on for certain people despite spreading austerity for everyone else but one tax non-break that sticks out like a sore thumb yet I've never heard anyone mention it is the tax fee redundancy payment being the same today as it was when I was made redundant from S&N in 2007! It hasn't changed and is still at £30,000. Now people might think what's the problem but this is a potential company payment, not a government one and you're ultimately losing your job to get it. If a company decides to give you a decent redundancy payment these cunts have obviously not put the tax free limit up for at least 16 years, (I'm pretty sure it's longer than that as well although a quick look isn't conclusive) because, why? Is it their dogma that the more money the plebs get, the more likely they'll want to stay out of work? It's funny what tax breaks they're interested in and which ones they're not.

That's shit. Another thing the MSM aren't interested in reporting, fiscal drag. Think I read somewhere it's equivalent to an extra 5% on PAYE this government term alone. I don't mind paying taxes to improve services but look at the state of education, NHS, law, social services, council services. What an absolute piss take this government is. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

I've no contacts and J69 is right I'm a beta cuck, can't even hold a drill. My philosophy has always been to earn more so I can pay other people to do these jobs but that's gone a bit wrong recently as I think most plumbers are on a bigger wedge than me. :D

My grandad was a foreman for the electric board and did all of his own DIY/building work in the house. My dad was the opposite end of the spectrum, and I probably landed somewhere in the middle. Fixing motorbikes and pinball machines gives you transferable skills 😂 

There's a YouTube video for almost anything these days tbf

5 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

My grandad was a foreman for the electric board and did all of his own DIY/building work in the house. My dad was the opposite end of the spectrum, and I probably landed somewhere in the middle. Fixing motorbikes and pinball machines gives you transferable skills 😂 

There's a YouTube video for almost anything these days tbf

Indeed

🙂 

I should've became the FiLs 'Apprentice' years ago when I started seeing the wife. I did a few weeks work with him and another lad who was helping him when I was laid off one time. He didn't have a legitimate business as such but the skills would've been invaluable. Trouble was the money was decent and reliable when the phone call came in to go back to my work and once taken on full time it was a 'job for life' (or so it used to be, I was just born too late and naturally they shut it down and moved elsewhere because fuck the NE). Hindsight is a great thing but back then the FiL was very, very hard work especially showing you what to do, you basically didn't understand a thing he said and he just refused to elaborate. :lol:

Happy birthday mate. Sorry to hear you’ve had a shit run of luck. Like others have said, I sincerely hope the redundancy ends up being a good thing in the long term, which I’m sure it will 

• Like 1

@Howmanheyman Happy belated birthday. Mate enjoy the weekend as much as you can as you'll never see 50 again, the rest of the shit will still be there Monday and you can sort it out then.

In other news, my best mate and his wife were staying in Marrakech last night. Just heard from them in the last hour or so, sounds like they had a close call. They were evacuated from their hotel in time but had to search through the rubble for their belongings once things settled down.

• Like 3