General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

When did you get your claim out of interest?

For reference, my wife is a leading PI lawyer for one of the top companies in the north east. I also have had the misfortune of a close relative, a young teenage kid, suffering a catastrophic injury on public transport. Major life changing injuries for no fault of his own and he's not going to get much compensation. Why? Because he wasn't predicted to do well at school and get a well paid job anyway. His compensation reflects this. It's bullshit, but that's how it is.

So what compensation is a woman in her 80s with cuts and bruises going to get, considering she presumably doesn't work any more, and therefore, well, what is there to compensate?

I'd suggest it's you who is talking bollocks.

You're kidding... the kid might not have been set for a stellar academic career, but he could have been a successful business owner of some sort. They aren't all degree educated and middle class...

That's shocking to hear.

So you're saying you're not entitled to compensation unless there's a monetary loss? You got a source that isn't your lass?

I haven't, and wouldn't, ask her about a specific case like this. I have a general understanding about this through discussion of her work and through a horrible family event. I may be wrong. But I think I understand it, in the year 2017, better than you do.

Tom, get advice. Unfortunately I really can't recommend you a lawyer. Helpful, I know. ;)

Edited by Renton

Thanks for the advice folks.

Even if they could get a fine that wouldn't come to us I'd feel better about it. Personally I know nothing of the compensation culture but what "could have" happened might happen to somebody next time so we'll certainly be getting in touch with NW & a solicitor.

Aye that's awful Renton, sorry to hear that.

iirc Compensation is generally based on direct economic loss suffered, indirect economic loss suffered (such as hindering future earnings), or a decrease in standard of life (which is often the case for things like loss of limb or psychological damage). I'm no lawyer mind so as Renton and PL said, seek out some advice (preferably one of those free consultations PL mentioned) to get a better picture.

Aye hopefully they get dinged in someway as it sounds like they've been really irresponsible.

Edited by Howay

I haven't, and wouldn't, ask her about a specific case like this. I have a general understanding about this through discussion of her work and through a horrible family event. I may be wrong. But I think I understand it, in the year 2017, better than you do.

Tom, get advice. Unfortunately I really can't recommend you a lawyer. Helpful, I know. ;)

I think monetary losses would increase a claims value but a claim doesn't rely solely on them. Let us know how it goes if you get advice Tom, especially if it transpires than Renton is fos.

Aye that's awful Renton, sorry to hear that.

iirc Compensation is generally based on direct economic loss suffered, indirect economic loss suffered (such as hampering future earnings), or a decrease in standard of life (which is often the case for things like loss of limb or psychological damage).

Aye, that's about it. If an Eton school kid has an accident he will be paid a magnitude more than one from shields, everything else being the same. Just how it works. Also the tariffs for loss of limbs etc are surprisingly small. Sure this all published online somewhere. I'd want a million for my right arm, not some poxy amount of 50k.

I think monetary losses would increase a claims value but a claim doesn't rely solely on them. Let us know how it goes if you get advice Tom, especially if it transpires than Renton is fos.

I might be wrong but I'm not full of shit. There's a difference.

Aye, that's about it. If an Eton school kid has an accident he will be paid a magnitude more than one from shields, everything else being the same. Just how it works. Also the tariffs for loss of limbs etc are surprisingly small. Sure this all published online somewhere. I'd want a million for my right arm, not some poxy amount of 50k.

Aye the tariffs are fairly low, iirc they're more a guideline than a rule but they're generally stuck too (as any sort of precedent is). It's a fairly frustrating way of doing it as you can point to people like Sir Johnathan Ive to show non-privileged background isn't really an indicator to future potential but I suppose it's all geared towards "them" ( ;) )

So Tom, just chatted to the wife. She says that if the injuries have been properly documented with a healthcare professional, and if the bruises persist for more than a couple of weeks, then you may be looking at about 1000 pounds ball park figure. It's likely that a big company such as northern water would want to settle this out of court, which would be for the best probably.

So aye, get good advice.

So Tom, just chatted to the wife. She says that if the injuries have been properly documented with a healthcare professional, and if the bruises persist for more than a couple of weeks, then you may be looking at about 1000 pounds ball park figure. It's likely that a big company such as northern water would want to settle this out of court, which would be for the best probably.

So aye, get good advice.

So you've gone from using your wifes job to say you're more clued-up than me whilst telling him it probably won't be worth pursuing, to revealing that there's potentially up to a grand there without going to court and to seek proper advice. Not fos at all though! What's the grand for if there's no monetary loss? Another contradiction. Edited by TheGingerQuiff

So you've gone from using your wifes job to say you're more clued-up than me whilst telling him it probably won't be worth pursuing, to revealing that there's potentially up to a grand there without going to court and to seek proper advice. Not fos at all though! What's the grand for if there's no monetary loss? Another contradiction.

Actually, I think Tom was asking advice about a decent solicitor, I'm not one obviously. I'm fairly sure I'm more clued up about UK jurisprudence than you are though, aye. The principles I described were right though. You only need a basic knowledge of the English language to understand what "compensation" means, for instance.

Anyway, fuck off you boring dick.

Tom, my advice is from the contractor side.

Is the house council owned or private or housing association?

As a contractor working on tenanted housing, they should have appropriate risk assessments and method statements for their work, this should include access and egress for the tenant of the house during works. If the have have started works and not finished the area should be left safe for the tenant, especially as your Nanna could be considered vulnerable due to her age. They should have assessed the risk to an elderly tenant, when leaving uneven floors and delt with the possibilities.

From experience, it would be worth persuing a claim. Companies like mine (not mine because I'm class) have paid out significantly on claims like these, especially if there is a lack of appropriate paperwork to back up their safe systems of work.

I've helped to prepare a couple of these claims for people who have been severely injured and literally every possible requirement for the future is included in the claim. But aye it was largely based on predicted future earnings who was really finger in the air stuff.

I'm after some advice - now I've seen plenty of these "Injury Lawyer" bollocks adverts on the TV but I thought I'd see if anyone had any actual experience rather that a fictional Mr/Mrs being awarded £X for this or that.

The water board had being doing some work at my mams place, I went to drop my Nanna off their & trying to get into my mams yard she fell & ended up falling into the hole the NW had dug & not covered properly. My Nanna went to lean on the rail they put up & it caved in so she fell.

Later that evening they came out and fixed everything up properly but obviously it was a bit too late. She got off lucky with some cuts & bruises as the hole was proper deep.

Basically we want to sue the water board because she could have died.

What's the best way to proceed?

My Mam fell on a loose paving slab in York and broke her jaw (and other bruises and what not). Dad went to the spot she fell as soon as he could (after mam was back from the hospital etc.) the stone had been replaced so the only evidence were some photos my sister took of the loose stone at the time. He sat with one of those injury lawyers and he was told that the photos likely wouldn't be enough but they'd be happy to push for some compensation. 

Dad got the impression that this particular company would only really have chased it if there was a very high chance of success. 

This probably doesn't help at all, but :dunno:

It's not even a very good anecdote to be honest, Dave.

True enough.

His mam blatantly got into a fight.

She could beat the shit out of you, tinman.