General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

I haven't actually, I'm about half-way through that series at the moment. I'll look forward to it though. I think I heard about this anyway though in the papers at one point. Was the idea that the sides of buildings will be entirely covered in plants or something to that effect?

Show focussed more on how creatures were adapting to this new environment, like Leopards hunting feral pigs on the outskirts of the city e.g.

It did briefly show that Singapore have "supertrees" which are huge skeletons with planters and provide a solid structure for vines, creepers and what not, it also has skyscrapers with trees and bushes upon terraces and a true roof garden.

That sounds awesome actually, I really have to finish the series off.

Both Planet Earth series have been awesome in the truest sens of the word, some real jaw-dropping, edge of the seat drama, all from a nature documentary. The visuals are incredible, this season the music has been unsurprisingly brilliant thanks to Hans Zimmer's involvement and, as ever, the narration is superb.

The BBC regularly produces some of the best TV out there and yet there's people in the world who moan about it relentlessly. 

Both Planet Earth series have been awesome in the truest sens of the word, some real jaw-dropping, edge of the seat drama, all from a nature documentary. The visuals are incredible, this season the music has been unsurprisingly brilliant thanks to Hans Zimmer's involvement and, as ever, the narration is superb.

The BBC regularly produces some of the best TV out there and yet there's people in the world who moan about it relentlessly. 

The BBC does exceptional documentaries, no complaints there. I don't watch any of the other programming so I can't comment on those.

Including Hans Zimmer on this project was a masterstroke. I went to see him in concert last year and it was probably the best live event I've ever been to.

The only complaint I have with the BBC's wildlife programming is that it flits around too much these days. When I was young I used to watch Wildlife on 2 religiously. It would dedicate a full half an hour to a single species, and I really felt like I was learning a lot. In these more modern day documentaries, they're spending about 3-4 minutes per animal. I get why they do this, to appeal to a broader audience (and because the series' they're doing have a much broader scope), but I miss the old format too.

Edited by Rayvin

Thanks for the advice folks.

Even if they could get a fine that wouldn't come to us I'd feel better about it. Personally I know nothing of the compensation culture but what "could have" happened might happen to somebody next time so we'll certainly be getting in touch with NW & a solicitor.

My Nanna went to the Doctor & the Doc said the injuries will clear up in about 3 weeks.

Ugh.

The facade that is the "Olympic legacy" strikes again. For me the amount spent on the Olympics is just ridiculous, a colossal waste. Especially in poor countries with no solid infrastructure.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2017/feb/10/rios-olympic-venues-six-months-on-in-pictures

The IOC and FIFA are like locusts - descend on a place, get the locals to pay for shit they don't need or want and then just hoover up all the money via corruption, leaving the countries to clean up the mess.

The IOC and FIFA are like locusts - descend on a place, get the locals to pay for shit they don't need or want and then just hoover up all the money via corruption, leaving the countries to clean up the mess.

I can't remember the exact details but I read something re: South Africa 2010 where they had a zone around every stadium and within it all the concession stands etc were exempt from the usual taxes etc. within the country. Then for London 2012 you had places being threatened with legal action such as some cafe advertising an "Olympic Breakfast" because it's only the massive companies that pay to be the official beverage or whatever that are allowed to even use the name in the host cities.

I can't remember the exact details but I read something re: South Africa 2010 where they had a zone around every stadium and within it all the concession stands etc were exempt from the usual taxes etc. within the country.

That's pretty much why an England bid with games at SJP would have been a no-go even if we'd ever had a chance of getting the nod IIRC - city centre stadiums don't lend themselves well to exclusion zones...

I can't remember the exact details but I read something re: South Africa 2010 where they had a zone around every stadium and within it all the concession stands etc were exempt from the usual taxes etc. within the country. Then for London 2012 you had places being threatened with legal action such as some cafe advertising an "Olympic Breakfast" because it's only the massive companies that pay to be the official beverage or whatever that are allowed to even use the name in the host cities.

They actually had to amend the south African constitution to make shit like prosecuting them lasses for wearing non-approved beer t-shirts. Unreal.

They actually had to amend the south African constitution to make shit like prosecuting them lasses for wearing non-approved beer t-shirts. Unreal.

I forgot about that, it was that Bavaria lager (which is actually Dutch) iirc.

Mackems will love this. I received an invite for a do my sister's having in June for her wedding anniversary at Trinity House in the town and if I search for hotels on Expedia, the one that comes at the top of the list is the Marriott​ in fucking Seaburn.

I wonder how many poor bastards have fallen for that one.

Looked like a fairly average collection of orange-skinned bigg market slappers to me. Certainly sounded like it, well two of them. One was some rough Essex bird

Edited by Dr Gloom