Cooking

Gemmill

18 hours ago, The Fish said:

No it, literally, doesn't. That's why they call it a tomato base/sauce, rather than ketchup. It doesn't have vinegar, or half the sugar for a start. 

That's probably why it's unrelentingly bang average verging on shite

6 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

It's  name for a sauce FFS :):):):) Not out of a bottle - geezus

Yeah but it's the name for a sauce that NOBODY IN THEIR RIGHT MIND uses on pizza. :razz:

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

Yeah but it's the name for a sauce that NOBODY IN THEIR RIGHT MIND uses on pizza. :razz:

That's probably why pizza is shit apart from any made with home-made chilli KETCHUP.

Re Pasta I usually make this:

I large onion chopped fry until soft

add 3-4 cloves garlic - very finely chopped, fry for 30 secs

1tsp chilli powder + 1tsp paprika - chuck in fry for 30 secs or so

2-3 finger chillies finely chopped

Add chopped tomatoes or passata and equal quantity water

good squirt tom puree

squirt lemon juice

pinch salt

pinch sugar

Turn down heat to a slow simmer

Plenty freshly ground black pepper

leave to simmer and reduce 

Add meat of choice, smoked ham and chorizo works rather well.

Simmer and reduce until perfecto

Add pasta 

1 hour ago, Toonpack said:

That's probably why pizza is shit apart from any made with home-made chilli KETCHUP.

Re Pasta I usually make this:

I large onion chopped fry until soft

add 3-4 cloves garlic - very finely chopped, fry for 30 secs

1tsp chilli powder + 1tsp paprika - chuck in fry for 30 secs or so

2-3 finger chillies finely chopped

Add chopped tomatoes or passata and equal quantity water

good squirt tom puree

squirt lemon juice

pinch salt

pinch sugar

Turn down heat to a slow simmer

Plenty freshly ground black pepper

leave to simmer and reduce 

Add meat of choice, smoked ham and chorizo works rather well.

Simmer and reduce until perfecto

Add pasta 

You put ketchup on pizzas, what made you think I'd want your pasta recipe? :lol:

;)

• Haha 2

Decided to get pizza last night. Completely fucked up and ordered a slot at Flint for TONIGHT instead. 

My pizza hunger couldn't wait so ordered Scream for Pizza last night and now also have my Flint slot for tonight. 

That's how the Pizza King rolls. 

4 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Decided to get pizza last night. Completely fucked up and ordered a slot at Flint for TONIGHT instead. 

My pizza hunger couldn't wait so ordered Scream for Pizza last night and now also have my Flint slot for tonight. 

That's how the Pizza King rolls. 

I've got a fresh American Hot from Asda coming with my shopping, enjoy your relative disappointment 

4 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

I've got a fresh American Hot from Asda coming with my shopping, enjoy your relative disappointment 

I hear it pairs well with a Norwegian red.

4 hours ago, Gemmill said:

You put ketchup on pizzas, what made you think I'd want your pasta recipe? :lol:

;)

Because it's tremendous tbh (as is Scotch Bonnet ketchup, but my eldest made that)

Quick / easy pasta sauce (serves 2):

1 x clove of garlic crushed

1 x 350g jar of Cirio Passata Rustica 

1 tbsp-ish extra virgin olive oil

1/2 tsp-ish dried Italian herbs

pinch of sugar

freshly ground black pepper / salt

lightly fry the garlic in the EVOO until it’s translucent, add the tomatoes then the other ingredients. Simmer on med-low heat for about 20 mins. Check the seasoning a few times. Serve with smart price spaghetti. I make about 5 or 6 double servings at a time and freeze them. Then you add whatever (chilli, basil, mascarpone, olives, capers, roast peppers, etc). You can only fuck it up with too much salt or by burning the garlic. 

9 hours ago, Alex said:

pinch of sugar

lightly fry the garlic in the EVOO until it’s translucent, add the tomatoes then the other ingredients. Simmer on med-low heat for about 20 mins. Check the seasoning a few times. Serve with smart price spaghetti. I make about 5 or 6 double servings at a time and freeze them. Then you add whatever (chilli, basil, mascarpone, olives, capers, roast peppers, etc). You can only fuck it up with too much salt or by burning the garlic. 

Only one clove of garlic?

13 hours ago, Alex said:

pinch of sugar

lightly fry the garlic in the EVOO until it’s translucent, add the tomatoes then the other ingredients. Simmer on med-low heat for about 20 mins. Check the seasoning a few times. Serve with smart price spaghetti. I make about 5 or 6 double servings at a time and freeze them. Then you add whatever (chilli, basil, mascarpone, olives, capers, roast peppers, etc). You can only fuck it up with too much salt or by burning the garlic. POUR STRAIGHT DOWN THE NETTY. 

Corrected. 

17 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Only one clove of garlic?

About one large clove to two people seems about right. The garlic’s normally quite subtle in most ‘authentic’ pasta sauces I’ve had. Plus it’s stronger when it’s crushed. Obviously if you like more, hoy more in. I’ve seen Italian recipes for tomato based sauces where they just use a peeled clove, with the root bit removed which is fried then taken out the pan once the oil is flavoured. 

On 03/04/2021 at 11:11, Alex said:

About one large clove to two people seems about right. The garlic’s normally quite subtle in most ‘authentic’ pasta sauces I’ve had. Plus it’s stronger when it’s crushed. Obviously if you like more, hoy more in. I’ve seen Italian recipes for tomato based sauces where they just use a peeled clove, with the root bit removed which is fried then taken out the pan once the oil is flavoured. 

You heard that if you crush/slice garlic and leave it out for a bit, it gets a stronger, fuller flavour?